living with 1 kidney

Options
EBD
EBD Member Posts: 10

what are the repercussions of living with 1 kidney.. my husband will probably be having one removed as he has stage 3 and the tumor is 4" long..  We are still waiting on tests and xray results to come back to see if anything has spread..  His other kidney has slight damage from diabetes but otherwise is OK.  We know eating habits have to change and I am sure the Dr will let us know everything we need to do but just wondering if anyone in this group has any insight on what life is like on 1 kidney?  do you have to limit your fluid intake? He has had to stop all diurectics because they were damaging his kidneys so now his legs and feet are swelled.  About 5 years ago he had congestive heart issues (brought on by afib) due to fluids building up so that is when he went on diurectics.  So breathing is labored as well - mainly when climbing stairs, etc.

I am also very worried about surgery as he is about 80lbs overweight and I assume that makes the surgery more difficult. 

So man things to worry about.

Comments

• Hd67xlch
    Hd67xlch Member Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Never noticed a difference

If I didnt have the scars from the kidney removal and scars on my back from rcc lung met surgeries Id never even know I only had one kidney.As far as fluid intake, I drink 5 16 ounce Dasani bottles of water a day and have been doing that for over 5 years, I do work a physically demanding outdoor job and sweat alot. Good luck

• mlph4021
    mlph4021 Member Posts: 76 Member
    edited April 2017 #3
    Options
    No difference for me

I am also a bit overweight, surgery went just fine though. I drink a ton of water, I have to, I live where it is hot. Been living with one kidney since Dec. 3rd and honestly haven't noticed a difference at all. I was super paranoid at first about taking any medication, but my surgeon reassured me I can even take ibuprofen as needed.  

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Only one kidney...

for 10 1/2 years, and there has been no problems.

donna_lee

• sucotai
    sucotai Member Posts: 19
    Options
    For the average person,

For the average person, living with one kidney is not a concern as the other one can partially compensate. But with congestive heart failure and chronic kidney disease in the picture, that compensation probably won't do enough. You guys should definitely follow-up with a nephrologist post-op.