Recurrence and travel plans

I posted last week about my recurrence. Now I have a few more details. In addition to the two lymph nodes that were removed that were cancer, more lymph nodes in my groin and elsewhere in my abdomen and an area in my omentum were suspicious. Although they previously found both carcinosarcoma and papillary serous it turns out this time that the cells found were all papillary serous. I'm going to have a PET scan to see if that offers more info about what's going on.

As many of you who've had recurrences know, the specific direction that treatment takes is kind of tricky in that there is much less of a set protocol. Seems like there are multiple options including radiation (I only had brachytherapy in my initial treatment so pelvic radiation is an option), various forms of chemo, possibly immunotherapy drugs, etc. Next week I'm going back to see the gyn oncologist I first saw at Dana Farber who did my surgery (I was then treated by a gyn oncologist up here in Maine for chemo, follow-up, etc.) to see what he has to say and see what they have to offer there as far as clinical trials, etc.

With the recorrence and the implications it has for my life and how long I may or may not get to enjoy it, I've decided I'm going to enjoy it as much as possible :). I've been wanting to get away and thought why not now? On the way back from the oncologist my friend and I stopped in at a travel agency. We looked through a variety of options and found a really great deal on a cruise to the Southern Carribean. The thing is we'd leave for the cruise April 28th and not get back till May 6th. The thing I'm wondering is if I opt for radiation can you stop for a week or so or is it essential to not have a break in the 28 day regimen? Anyone happen to know?

Maybe not the most important thing in the world for me right now, considering what I'm up against, but it's what I'm thinking about.

Comments

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Not sure

I don't have an answer to your question, but just wanted to tell you that I am sorry to hear this.  There are many options for treatment and more coming all the time.  I told  over three years ago that I would be on treatment the rest of my life. That life has really not been to bad though.  I have gotten to greet four new great grand babies and snuggle,them. My husband and I have traveled from the Gulf to the Pacific Coast and back to our mountains.  We plan trips between treatments.  

When my recurrence happened, my gyno-oncologist suggested starting with radiation, but the has radiologist said chemo because chemo is systemic, treating many areas at once, where radiation is aimed at only a small area.

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    Sandy, here is a link to a

Sandy, here is a link to a 2016 study I found about interruptions of radiation treatments:

http://www.ascopost.com/News/36289

Based on those results, maybe you should consider delaying the trip for a little while in order to get the full benefit of the treatment first? Be sure to consult your doctors to help you make an informed decision.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Kim

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Kim, Just wanted to say that

Kim, Just wanted to say that we can always count on you to research and provide information. Thanks for that! Smile

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• cindy0519
    cindy0519 Member Posts: 173
    I had pelvic radiation the

I had pelvic radiation the first go round with this and was told no delaying during radiation.  I too was going to do a quick vacation during the first couple weeks.  We instead delayed radation by two weeks.  Maybe this is an option?  My onco always says a couple weeks is not going to make a difference but as we all know it seems they all have varying opinions. 

• SandyD
    SandyD Member Posts: 130
    Lou Ann M said:

Not sure

I don't have an answer to your question, but just wanted to tell you that I am sorry to hear this.  There are many options for treatment and more coming all the time.  I told  over three years ago that I would be on treatment the rest of my life. That life has really not been to bad though.  I have gotten to greet four new great grand babies and snuggle,them. My husband and I have traveled from the Gulf to the Pacific Coast and back to our mountains.  We plan trips between treatments.  

When my recurrence happened, my gyno-oncologist suggested starting with radiation, but the has radiologist said chemo because chemo is systemic, treating many areas at once, where radiation is aimed at only a small area.

That makes sense

as far as the chemo being more broad. But since I already had 6 treatments of taxol and carboplatin maybe it would be a different chemo?

LouAnn you're so right! What good is treating the cancer if we can't have quality of life and be with with those we love and do what we enjoy?

• SandyD
    SandyD Member Posts: 130
    Kvdyson said:

Sandy, here is a link to a

Sandy, here is a link to a 2016 study I found about interruptions of radiation treatments:

http://www.ascopost.com/News/36289

Based on those results, maybe you should consider delaying the trip for a little while in order to get the full benefit of the treatment first? Be sure to consult your doctors to help you make an informed decision.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Kim

Thanks Kim

Think you're right about that. Decided today to cancel the trip for now and plan for travel around treatment.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    edited March 2017 #8
    Sandy, I am sorry to hear

Sandy, I am sorry to hear your results.  I say, "find out what the treatment plan is and be ready to BOOK THAT TRIP around it".   On my one visit to the gyn onc's office I asked to meet with the chemo nurse who had helped in the beginning.  She had to take a leave to have a baby and I wanted to see pictures of her new child.  Her parting words to me were, "Get out there and LIVE!"  Good advice for all us

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    edited March 2017 #9
    SandyD said:

That makes sense

as far as the chemo being more broad. But since I already had 6 treatments of taxol and carboplatin maybe it would be a different chemo?

LouAnn you're so right! What good is treating the cancer if we can't have quality of life and be with with those we love and do what we enjoy?

Could be different

Each person and each doctor are so individual.  the course of treatment for one may be entirely different from the next.  Both my gyro-onc and my onc recommended going back to Taxol and Carbo since it had been over six months.  They said that was the usual protocol if it had worked the fit time.  It had for me, bring my CA125 down to 6.  Confirmed by CT scan.  Went back on the Taxol/Carbo combo and it again dropped the CA 125 down. Because of problems with bool levels and reactions to Carbo it finally ran its course and other chemo were tried.  I do think that all chemo is systemic.  But what is right for one may not be for the next.  We all have to do What we feel is right for us.