muscle relaxant use due to previously induced fibrosis

sunshine_64
sunshine_64 Member Posts: 50

I realize my situation is a bit unusual--but anyone's experience with muscle relaxants would be useful. I had tonsil cancer treated 5 years ago, (stage 4b, metastasized to both sides, 8 weeks radiation and cetuximab). Diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer 2/13, lumpectomy 2/24/17. 

After 1-2 weeks, I started exercises to prepare for radiation treatment, but found that fibrosis on my neck and shoulder pain was activated--even before radiation had started - spasms at night etc. Started with ibuprofen & tylenol, then celebrex,  but am getting no relief. I contacted my physical therapist (now recycled into my breast cancer treatment regime), who says I have to keep up the exercises. Holding the arms up during radiation is pretty painful now also.

Does using muscle relaxants (cyclobenzaprine-Flexeril) work for any of you during radiation? I find it very hard to hold my arms up and sleeping is a problem if I keep up the exercises. Advice?

Comments

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    edited March 2017 #2
    Have had a lot of rads

and they never said anything or offered.

• sunshine_64
    sunshine_64 Member Posts: 50
    edited April 2017 #3
    muscle relaxant working well

My radiologist did not mention it, nor was her nurse particularly helpful, so I contacted my primary physician, who thankfully prescribed tizanidine, which is working very well to calm my muscle spasms (due to late-radiation effects from prior (2012) treatment for tonsil cancer). I now have far less anxiety about being able to get through the treatment period and, best of all, sleep through the night. At least with my history and my set of physicians, I feel like I have to be pretty proactive these days to get any results.