Almost 4 months post surgery

mlph4021
mlph4021 Member Posts: 76 Member

And got my first post-surgery scan. My urologist sent me to an oncologist for genetic testing to see if I have a syndrome which could be causing all of my issues- thryoid disease, pituitary tumor and the kidney cancer. I guess they wanted some answers since at 43 I am considered "young" for kidney cancer. My kids still think I am old. 

Got the results, and no syndromes found, no "reason" for this to have happened. Thankful for that though, as no syndrome means not likely to have passed something bad onto my kids. While I was there, he looked over my CT scan from before my nephroctomy and told me I have a "mass" in my chest and thought it could potentially be thymus cancer. Naturally, this freaked me out, but he also assured me it could be "nothing" and he just wanted to rule it out. 

Went and had the PET scan a few weeks ago, and surprisingly I didn't have that much anxiety. Maybe just numb to it by now? I went last week got the results that I wanted to hear- "No cancer found anywhere in your body." I am extremely happy and grateful for this. I felt like I could breathe again for the first time since this all started on November 3rd. 

Because of the PET scan, I get to skip the CT scan I was supposed to have in June and I don't have to go for that until August now. For the first time in 4 months, I don't have to have any more tests, no needles, no doctors appointments. My surgery scars are fading fast and I am back out in the world and doing things I want to do instead of things I have to do and that feels wonderful. 

Unfortunately, 2 other people I know have now also been diagnosed with kidney cancer! I had never even heard of kidney cancer until it happened to me and now 3 people in 4 months diagnosed with it, I really can't wrap my head around this. I have been able to support them through this and tell them what to expect and give them advice so at least there seems to have been some purpose for me getting it. 

Comments

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    mlph,

You sound much better. I'm happy for you. Glad you don't have to worry about the kids. Cancer is too big a part of too many lives.

• mlph4021
    foxhd said:

mlph,

You sound much better. I'm happy for you. Glad you don't have to worry about the kids. Cancer is too big a part of too many lives.

Thank you

It took months, but yeah, doing better finally. Doesn't guarantee the kids won't get this or that, but to know I didn't pass something on was a huge relief. 

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    edited March 2017 #4
    mlph4021 you have a great attitude

Glad to hear youe scans are clear and you have no evidence of disease, yay! Praying for you to step into this less stressful phase of life.

• mlph4021

mlph4021 you have a great attitude

Glad to hear youe scans are clear and you have no evidence of disease, yay! Praying for you to step into this less stressful phase of life.

Thank you

I wanted to finally post something "happier" as all my previous posts were me just being terrified and/or feeling sorry for myself. :)

• pamstayner
    pamstayner Member Posts: 111 Member
    And so you progress

through the journey.  Mlph, you express your feeling well, and I am sure the people you know who also are now kidney cancer people too, have benefited from you experience.  The initial feeling of "WHEW" I can breathe now, the cancer is gone feels so good.  For the young person you are it has to feel good.  My friend lost his kidney to cancer... and is still cancer free like maybe 15 years?  He still has yearly checkups, you always stay viligent with this one.  I hope you have lots of freedom time, and stay in touch for the new arrivials that come on here.  We all need your fresh perspectives...  

Pam

• mlph4021

And so you progress

through the journey.  Mlph, you express your feeling well, and I am sure the people you know who also are now kidney cancer people too, have benefited from you experience.  The initial feeling of "WHEW" I can breathe now, the cancer is gone feels so good.  For the young person you are it has to feel good.  My friend lost his kidney to cancer... and is still cancer free like maybe 15 years?  He still has yearly checkups, you always stay viligent with this one.  I hope you have lots of freedom time, and stay in touch for the new arrivials that come on here.  We all need your fresh perspectives...  

Pam

Yes

The I can breathe feeling is strong. I put off planning so many things due to what ifs, finally starting to get back out there!

• beemurguia
    beemurguia Member Posts: 57
    Wonderful news!

Congratulations and may all your future tests come out the same!!!

Time to get out there and continue with your life, plans, goals!  I also have not heard of people with kidney cancer and then boom! I get the news...still cant wrap my head over it....but I hope to get the same news as you once i get this kidney removed! Did you have to take any medications after surgery?

• mlph4021
    edited March 2017 #9

Wonderful news!

Congratulations and may all your future tests come out the same!!!

Time to get out there and continue with your life, plans, goals!  I also have not heard of people with kidney cancer and then boom! I get the news...still cant wrap my head over it....but I hope to get the same news as you once i get this kidney removed! Did you have to take any medications after surgery?

The only medications

I take is my Synthyroid for my thyroid and and a daily injection of Human Growth Hormone for my "dead" pituitary (tumor on it, non cancerous) that makes none. I have not had to take anything related to my kidney, and I am finally at the place I "forget" for days at a time that I even went through it all. You know, just not something I think about every day anymore?? I like that. 

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member
    mlph4021 said:

The only medications

I take is my Synthyroid for my thyroid and and a daily injection of Human Growth Hormone for my "dead" pituitary (tumor on it, non cancerous) that makes none. I have not had to take anything related to my kidney, and I am finally at the place I "forget" for days at a time that I even went through it all. You know, just not something I think about every day anymore?? I like that. 

It's SO good

... When what's been a daily crisis becomes something that's not filling your every thought. Not that you're stuffing / denying it or developing some sort of medical amnesia or dementia - Just that it's not clamoring for attention. Even makes it easier to breathe...

• mlph4021
    JerzyGrrl said:

It's SO good

... When what's been a daily crisis becomes something that's not filling your every thought. Not that you're stuffing / denying it or developing some sort of medical amnesia or dementia - Just that it's not clamoring for attention. Even makes it easier to breathe...

Sure does

Over the weekend I was an animal planting and digging in my backyard. Not once did I ask myself, "Can I do this?" I just did it. Back sore today, but damn my garden looks nice. And I get to enjoy it for a long time to come!

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    edited April 2017 #12
    Sounds like a big WHEW is due

Sounds like a big WHEW is due~

Glad you are gardening and enjoying LIFE

Thanks for letting us know. Be well my friend,

Jan

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    edited April 2017 #13
    yard work

I also love doing yard work. It is my best therapy. Pride = happiness.

• mlph4021
    edited April 2017 #14
    foxhd said:

yard work

I also love doing yard work. It is my best therapy. Pride = happiness.

I love that I am able to do it

But boy am I SORE today! Good sore though. After all the yard work, I had to go to my archery lesson. My kids decided to quit, so I decided to start! Tonight I have a concert. By tomorrow I will need to rest, LOL. Best medicine for me is staying busy. Helped so much when I was in my funk.