Partial Glossectomy (1/2 tongue replacement) and Dentures

For those that have been following along.  I finally got my teeth......it was not insurance that covered although I will continue to fight them.  I ended up taking out a loan.  Is there any one who had a partial glossectomy and dentures?  Wondering how you're able to eat.  I am having a hard time.  First with the dentures themselves feeling like I've got to flip flops in my mouth and second just being about to move food in my mouth seems next to impossible.  Any suggestions you have would be great.

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    something new

cbeaz4626,

Does it feel like you have dentures on your feet?  Just checking.

I am glad you managed to get them. It will probably just take a little time to adjust to the change and to get coordinated with them.

No suggestions, but wishing you well.

Matt

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    edited March 2017 #3
    Dental stuff?

Fixodent etc?

I only know about uppers so far, I still have lowers to deal with.

• cbeaz4626
    cbeaz4626 Member Posts: 35
    SuzJ said:

Dental stuff?

Fixodent etc?

I only know about uppers so far, I still have lowers to deal with.

I've tried and I'm using

I've tried and I'm using several of those brands.  Eating is not really enjoyable anymore.  It's a mess for me.  I've not really eaten anything but smoothies and food through the feeding tube for the last year so I get that its weird but only having 1/2 of a working tongue makes it hard.  I have very little control.  Only sensation in my mouth is a small portion of the good side of my tongue so it's difficult to manage

• SASH
    SASH Member Posts: 421 Member
    Eating with new teeth

I only had lowers put in as my uppers were still in good shape.  Only part of my tongue moves, so I do understand where you are coming from with the difficulty to eat.  My lowers went in on August 2, 2016 and it is still hard to find things that are easy to swallow.  But my lowers are a permanent denture so this is affixed to 4 posts that were implanted in my lower jaw.  I have found that soft foods, especially those that don't require a lot of chewing are the easiest.  Fish, ground meats, tuna salad with lots of mayo, whipped potatoes, etc. are the easiest.  I still am doing a lot of protien shakes and ensure especially when I really don't feel like chewing.

I'm hoping it gets better, but I'm also having swallowing difficulties which they are working on via exercises as I am aspirating on food and liquids.  Keep experimenting with different things as you might find things that work for you and your situation.