Allow myself to introduce..... myself

BK64
BK64 Member Posts: 3

Hi Gang;

Husband of other new member "Chicklette" here.  

As she mentioned in her "Introducing Myself" post, I have recently received a diagnosis of HPV+ Squamous Cell Carcinoma.  I have the classic lump in the neck which I noticed while shaving back in December.  When it didn't go away (I had a cold at the time) I went to get it checked out and was referred for an ultrasound just in case.  That day started me down a road I never wanted to travel, but I'm glad I did.  Getting a diagnosis sure is an eye-opener, and I feel my whole perspective on life changing daily.  

I have some great doctors and medical facilities available to me both in New Hampshire and Boston, MA.  I'm encouraged by the good prognosis these doctors have given me, but I'll admit, I'm scared about the process and the recovery.  I am a lifelong musician and singer, so the thought of radiation to my neck is a bit worrisome, but so be it.  This is going to be a bumpy road, but I have every intention of a return to performing by year's end.  I'll take whatever happens as it comes.  It's very encouraging to see so many people have gotten through it and carried on with their lives.

My first Oncology-Radiology consultation will be at the end of this month at Mass. General Hospital in Boston.  I look forward to sharing experiences and being helpful in any way I can.

Comments

• MMDowns
    MMDowns Member Posts: 318
    edited March 2017 #2
    Welcome!  This is a wonderful

Welcome!  This is a wonderful place to talk to amazing survivors.  My husband's story is almost identicla to your.  Found a swollen lymph node while shaving, had a cold the week before, thought nothing of it.  Two months later we were told that he had cancer.  What a blow!  We are 4 weeks into the treatment.  It is intense. However, we were told that the prognosis is very good.  It is a bumpy, rollercoaster of a ride.  And a word of unsolicited advice;  you cannot really plan for anything except the knowledge that you are going to feel lousy.  But, there are meds for everything and natural rememdies and you can do it!! 

What I have learned from this site so far;  Hydration is the MOST important factor in this journey.  Food is second.  Eat what you can while you can.  Enjoy it. Indulge. That is so important.  If your dr. reccomends a PEG tube (feeding tube) think very carefully about that choice.  My husband has one and I am so glad that we do. He can keep up nutrients and liquid with it.  Some people do not have one and were OK.  It's a big decision. Take notes on every dr. appointment.  There is a ton of info and that can be overhwelming.  Expect the unexpected.  That's the best peice of advice that I was given and it was key.  Take it day to day.   

There will be others that will respond soon that are survivors and have the best advice, tips, etc...  Just remember, this part is temporary.  Then the healing and "new normal" begins.   Hang in there!

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    welcome

BK64,

Welcome to the H&N forum, sorry that you find yourself here, but what are you going to do.  Did  they find spots other than your neck?  You should let your doctors know about your voice, there is often some customization of a treatment plan which may benefit you (doesn’t hurt to ask).  You will have to try extra hard on drinking and swallowing.  It was drilled into my head and I managed to drink 10 glasses of water a day, every day.  My singing voice is marginal, but my swallowing is nearly top notch.

Remember, to take things one day at a time, have all the  recommended meds on hand, don’t try to tough anything out, keep your team informed on changes, stay hydrated and get all the nutrition you can.  If you take care of the little things, the side effects will be easier to handle.  And you never know, you may be one of the lucky ones and have a gentle ride.

Good luck,

Matt

• BK64
    BK64 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2017 #4
    CivilMatt said:

welcome

BK64,

Welcome to the H&N forum, sorry that you find yourself here, but what are you going to do.  Did  they find spots other than your neck?  You should let your doctors know about your voice, there is often some customization of a treatment plan which may benefit you (doesn’t hurt to ask).  You will have to try extra hard on drinking and swallowing.  It was drilled into my head and I managed to drink 10 glasses of water a day, every day.  My singing voice is marginal, but my swallowing is nearly top notch.

Remember, to take things one day at a time, have all the  recommended meds on hand, don’t try to tough anything out, keep your team informed on changes, stay hydrated and get all the nutrition you can.  If you take care of the little things, the side effects will be easier to handle.  And you never know, you may be one of the lucky ones and have a gentle ride.

Good luck,

Matt

I had an interesting type of diagnosis.

They never actually found a glowing meatball on my PET scan or anything like that.  I just had two FNA biopsies with atypical squamous cells and a VERY positive HPV test result.  They put those two together to arrive at my diagnosis.  They consider those two conditions together to meet the threshold of a cancer diagnosis.  Hopefully that means I've caught it really early.

I had a base of tongue biopsy and had my tonsils removed last month - both were negative.