Puffy area on breast which has changed the shape of my breast

I had a DCIS lumpectomy and radiation a little under 3 years ago.  

Recently, the part of my breast close to the lumpectomy scar and part of the scar itself got very red and warm and painfully sore when touched or when I reached for something.  That lasted for several days but is nearly gone now.

This caused me to notice that the shape of my right breast has changed, I think because of a visible puffy area (which was part of the red, warm area) near my areola that might be pushing some of my breast downward.  My nipple is retracting and pulling towards the puffy area.  This hasn't changed even though the redness, etc. is pretty much gone.  I'm pretty sure that the nipple retraction has been there for a while because there was some linty stuff in the crevices where it had retracted which I don't think would have happened over night.  I haven't had any discharge so it's not from that.  I just hadn't noticed the retraction because I don't normally dress in front of a mirror.  I don't feel any lumps, just the puffy area.

I have an appointment scheduled with my surgeon and a mammogram scheduled but until then I'm trying to understand what's going on.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, even if they haven't had a lumpectomy, etc. or if you might have some knowledge to share.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• peony
    peony Member Posts: 306 Member
    edited March 2017 #2
    Hi Dolllady,  I still see my

Hi Dolllady,  I still see my radiation oncologist twice a year and she noticed that my surgical breast (lumpectomy- chemo & radiation) was a full cup size larger than the other.  It was puffy, but not sore or red. I had already been dx as having lymphodema and I wear an arm sleeve and glove to aid in keeping swelling down. I went back to the lymphodema therapist and she showed me how to massage the fluid out of the breast.  Lymphodema can cause infection (redness?). When you see the doctor, ask if lymphodema could be involved.