Need info on thyroid problems and "cures" after radiation/chemo

Options
thedavid123
thedavid123 Member Posts: 2 Member

I'm 2 1/2 years out and generally doing well.  But others in my support group report what sounds like hypothyroidism after reaching about 4 years out.

Has anyone found ways to strengthen the thyroid before the problem develops? Thanks and good health to all!

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    edited March 2017 #2
    Options
    welcome

thedavid123,

Welcome to the H&N forum, where thyroids are in great demand.

Is it too late to not get rads? I am sure my Thyroid would be fine if not for rads.  I use to map the decline of my Thyroid, and then I went on meds.  Now, I am artificially fine.

If you look hard enough and consult Doctor Google I am sure you will score some (debatable) information.  There are a few H&N members which seem very smart on the subject, maybe they will respond.

Matt

• nwfmike
    nwfmike Member Posts: 8
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

welcome

thedavid123,

Welcome to the H&N forum, where thyroids are in great demand.

Is it too late to not get rads? I am sure my Thyroid would be fine if not for rads.  I use to map the decline of my Thyroid, and then I went on meds.  Now, I am artificially fine.

If you look hard enough and consult Doctor Google I am sure you will score some (debatable) information.  There are a few H&N members which seem very smart on the subject, maybe they will respond.

Matt

4 years is about right.

CivilMatt, yes, I've been keeping an eye on mine since I finished treament. Deterioroation started right at about 4 years. I just dropped in to clinical hypothyroid.

For the OP, I tried all sort of natural remedies / eating foods that were either healthy for my Thyroid or at least not detrimental, but nothing really seemed to affect it either way. Going to keep looking though. Hate taking medicine.

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    nwfmike said:

4 years is about right.

CivilMatt, yes, I've been keeping an eye on mine since I finished treament. Deterioroation started right at about 4 years. I just dropped in to clinical hypothyroid.

For the OP, I tried all sort of natural remedies / eating foods that were either healthy for my Thyroid or at least not detrimental, but nothing really seemed to affect it either way. Going to keep looking though. Hate taking medicine.

cheers to our thyroids

nwfmike,

I don’t like taking meds either, but life is too short to feel run down.  The whole life change after cancer sucks, but what are you to do?  I now have a pill caddy, woe is me.

Matt

• nwfmike
    nwfmike Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2017 #5
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

cheers to our thyroids

nwfmike,

I don’t like taking meds either, but life is too short to feel run down.  The whole life change after cancer sucks, but what are you to do?  I now have a pill caddy, woe is me.

Matt

Forgot to mention

Ya, I'm taking a little 100mg Thyroxine tablet and do feel I have more energy. I'll get over it :-)

I've "fixed" other problems through specific diet changes, but of course all of those affected body parts weren't fried by radiation, so there is probably no way diet/natural supplements will help my thyroid, but I still try. Keeps me entertained :-)

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    timely

For some reason it seemed the thyroid goes AWOL a couple years out, not more like 4. I feel great but had mine checked this week and it's still working. Going to be 4 years post in a couple months.