Hello. Just diagnosed with UPSC.

Hello,

I am 62 and was just diagnosed with UPSC last week.  This Thursday I am scheduled to have a PET scan to determine if the cancer has spread outside my uterus and what stage the cancer is in.  Then the following day (3/17/17) I have my 2nd meeting with the oncologist to discuss the results of the scan & possibly get a date for surgery.  So far the oncologist has recommended my treatment will probably be a full hysterectomy followed by chemo and just a little radiation on the cervix.  But of course, she will need to see the scan results first.

This all happened after a routine, annual PAP test.  The results showed uterine cells on the cervix which is unusual.  So I had a D&C to biopsy & send to the lab.  The lab results indicated a malignancy -- endometrial cancer.  I was referred to an oncologist who told me this was UPSC which apparently is not common and is an aggressive form of endometrial cancer, hence the recommendation of chemo.  

I feel fine & healthy so this is a real shock.  I know that after surgery & chemo I won't be feeling so healthy.  I'm trying to keep a positive and optimistic outlook though.  I look forward to talking with others who are going through this or have already done so and I wish everyone on here the best!  

Comments

• debbie000
    debbie000 Member Posts: 6
    I too was also just diagnosed

I too was also just diagnosed with aggressive uterine cancer. To have CT tomorrow to see if it spread. I am so scared and shocked

• Kestrel
    Kestrel Member Posts: 4
    debbie000 said:

I too was also just diagnosed

I too was also just diagnosed with aggressive uterine cancer. To have CT tomorrow to see if it spread. I am so scared and shocked

debbie000, I so understand

debbie000, I so understand how you feel.  I guess all we can do is take it one step at a time.  I wish you good luck with your CT scan.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,360 Member
    Kestrel and debbie000, I am

Kestrel and debbie000, I am sorry you have had to find us but there is a terrific group of women here and you are welcomed with open arms.

Hopefully you are working with a gynecologic oncologist - they specialize in cancer of the female reproductive system - and will help you through this all.

Kestrel - you are right.  One step at a time is the best way to work on this.  Please feel free to ask anything and read some of the older threads on this forum.  There is a wealth of knowledge here and EVERYTHING has been asked.  

Ladies, you are not alone.

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Kestrel and Debbie000

welcome to the club no one wants to belong to.  You have found a great place to come.  The ladies here arewonderful with their willingness to share advice, knowledge, and comfort.  We also know how to listen, so come here to vent when you need to.  Take a deep breath and try to take things one day at a time.  You,will find that you are stronger than you,ever imagined.

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• Big Sister 5
    Big Sister 5 Member Posts: 18
    Kestrel and Debbie

My sister was 

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    Kestrel & debbie000

Just wanted to say hi and echo what has already been said- you are welcome here and you are NOT alone!  Things are scary and the waiting, that is only beginning, is the PITS but you will make it through by taking it day by day.   We'll link arms and walk along with you and send you big (((HUGS))) and await your updates. 

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Think positive as you wait

I was exactly where you are 5 years ago.  Still here and healthy.  Kestrel, I, too, was saved by a Pap smear.  

Stick with us and we will be your guides.

• Kestrel
    Kestrel Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2017 #9
    Yes, I am working with a

Yes, I am working with a gynecological oncologist.  I'm very thankful that a group like this exists (although sorry that it needs to).  It helps to read what others have gone through or are currently going through.  Thank you to everyone for your encouragement!

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    edited March 2017 #10
    Kestrel and Debbie, I know

Kestrel and Debbie, I know that it's easy for me to say but please try to remain hopeful. For me, surgery was the hardest part and I was back working full-time (desk job) within six weeks. You can do this! It won't be easy or pleasant but it is do-able. We'll be there with you as much as you need. Wishing you both strength and comfort, Kim

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    edited March 2017 #11
    Kestrel and Debbie,

Kestrel and Debbie,

Just wanted to also welcome you to our board. Best place in the world to find real answers and get the kind of support only those of us going through this or have gone through it understand. Waiting for results is the hardest part. Once you get your plan, you will charge forward to battle this beast. I hope you can take the time to read through the site. So much information and you will gain insight and hope to help get you to your next steps. I remember being so scared and the information here helped me more than anything else.

If you have UPSC, you will most likely have chemo and possibly radiation. There are two threads that are specific to these treatments that will give you a feel for what happens. We are all different but there are similarities in the side effects. Some greater, some lesser depending on the person....  'Ladies Going Through Chemo' and 'Let's talk about Radiation' are the threads where several of us documented our journey in 2015/2016.  And, there is a lot of information way before that as well.

As others have said, take this one step at a time. You will surprise yourself.

Please let us know what you find out. We are interested and here for you!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Donna Faye
    Donna Faye Member Posts: 427 Member
    Kestrel and Debbie

I am 77, was diagnosed Dec.15 with uterine cancer; laboscopic hysterectomy - no girl parts left - on Jan. 25. No problems with the surgery and got along great. You may find you feel better than you imagine. I ,too was scared I'd feel terribel but was fine. My onc wants me to do 3 rounds of chemo as I was a 1a but this type -UPSC- is rare so they opt for the chemo. Will probably do some bracky but meet with them next week to hear what they advise. This site is so helpful as we hear from the horse's mouth so to speak. Read all the ones on UPSC...so much information and from the ones who have been there or are there. We'll all be strong together. Keep in touch.

• Kinableu
    Kinableu Member Posts: 14 Member
    count me among your

count me among your supporters All of you. though I am just starting chemo I can possibly answer questions or just virtually hold your hand.