And so it begins..

Options
2»

Comments

• nwfmike
    nwfmike Member Posts: 8
    Options
    PEG and PICC

Like you are thinking, I (like others posting here) refused to get a PICC and PEG. I thought I was going to be tough and that lasted about 4 weeks when I couldn't get anything down, not even water for a few days. PICC came first. Halfway through treatment, I had to get the PEG. Day I got it I was borderline pneumonia and had a fever. They didn't want to do it but I had waited too long. They hauled me down in an ambulance to do my radiation after the PEG procedure.. haha (I can laugh at it now). Ended up having to stay in the hospital for 4 days and they put me on dilaudid during my stay. Ho! that was good stuff for the first couple days. By day 4 I could feel it affecting me in a negative way. I cut that off and my first night back home I had a very technicolor nightmare (still remember it). My WBC were really low...and I had to INSIST on the docs giving me a couple shots of Neupogen to get my WBC back up.

Knowing what I know now, what would I do? I'd still put it off. The PICC requires cleaning and it's not a big deal to get one put in. The PEG? I think I'd still wait and here is why. I would be much better equipped to get through the process now.

If you decide to give it a go and not get the PEG or PICC you ABSOLUTELY MUST:

1. Stay on top of your medications, ESPECIALLY medication for nausea. Once it starts, it is nigh impossible to get under control. I hate taking medicines and made that mistake.

2. Figure out your pain meds and stay on top of it. I was squirting in liquid morphine but was scared of using it so didn't use enough. I also used pain patches later on.

3. Cut way down on sugars/acidic foods. This will really help with the mucositis. That and gargle with baking soda and salt. My mucositis wasn't too bad.

4. I hated that magic mouthwash, but later after treatment and I had my PEG taken out early to force me to get nutrition down my throat, my ENT gave me lidocaine (ingredient in magic mouthwash). I take a bit and gargle with it then very quickly drink a high-calorie/high protein smoothie I made (I posted another thread with a recipe).  The straight up lidocaine provided more numbing than the magic mouthwash. Still hurt to swallow, but the numbing effect lasted long enough to get that smoothie down.

5 #1 - #4 will help you be able to get the needed nutrition and liquids you will need to keep weight (you will still lose weight) and strength. Keep it simple.

6 Look in to a product called Radiagel. I used it for the radiation burns on my neck. Tried everything and nothing worked. When I was in getting IV nutrition a nurse turned me on to it and the stuff...for me anyway, was pure magic. Start using it from day 1 and if it works like it did for me, you will have 0 problems.

If you decide to forego both, you need to make a deal with yourself NOW and at the first sign of not being able to deal with either getting a needle inserted for bloodwork, IV, medicine then you'll need to get a PICC and at the very earliest sign that you are not able to get nutrition or properly hydrated, you'll need to get a PEG. Don't beat yourself up about it and keep putting it off (like I did), because it's not going to get better at that point.

If you are going to work, see if you can get reduced hours if you can swing it and get all the sleep you can get. Having said that, if you can squeeze in an hour of walking that will do you some good.

Sorry to be graphic about my experience, but it's useful when weighing the pros and cons of getting a PEG and PICC.

Be strong!

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    edited March 2017 #23
    Options
    Thank You!

Decided to get the PICC line (weighed up how many times I'm going to get stabbed versus the one off deal, no brainer) PEG, still not a go, I don't eat much anyways, it's something my Dr has been going on about, before this, I was borderline diabetic, and my meal habits are terrible. Eat breakfast, drink water all day, eat a salad for dinner (I'm out in the heat) according to my fitness pal, I'm only hitting around 800 calories. Luckily I love smoothies, and can happily live on them, so high protein smoothies it is.

Another fact, I was an EMT 13 years, and a medic a few years, so when they tell me stuff - they get into the details, sometimes more than I need, if that makes sense?

Luckily that's not what I am doing now, could never do that and all of this. I have 2 jobs, 1 full 1 PT, full time - I drive a lot, walk a little, PT I drive a lot, and walk more :) The PT one goes away for the summer, on May 21, restarts late August. So at the hardest part, I should just have the one.

My son, I love him dearly, but, along with ADD, and anxiety disorders... he's really not much help with this. he's made me stronger, because I won't let him see how I feel, or even how bad I feel at times. As I said, telling him was the worst moment of this whole thing, watching his heart break, broke mine.

I'd give anything to talk to my Mum, but its 2 years Monday since she passed away, this is a rough time for me, my son, Dad, and brothers.

• MMDowns
    MMDowns Member Posts: 318
    edited March 2017 #24
    Options
    Hang in there.  It's sounds

Hang in there.  It's sounds trite but if you go into this battle with as much positivity as possible, it helps.  Hopefully you have amazing dr.'s and nurses.  What we have learned so far is that the infusion nurses are the ones to go to.  They take everything seriously and DO NOT hesitate to inform the dr.'s of new symptoms and push to get the meds that my husband needs.  We talk more to the nurses, and our nurse practioner than the dr.'s  Which I am actually OK with.  Hydration is key. Eating is second.  Push the fluids as much as possible.  If needed, go in for fluids.  Dehydration is no joke.  We learned that the hard way the first week.  Everyone has there own journey with their own choices.  You have to do what feels right.   It'll get worse before it gets better but it will get better.  We are entering our fourth week and we know the messiest part is ahead of us, but we are halfway through.  It goes fast.  God Bless. 

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I reenforce the message on

I reenforce the message on infusion nurses.  I had a fantastic set who very much cared.  I have been out of treatment for two months now, but I still drop by and say hi to mine.   I got the best tips for how to cope, including on food, from them.  The drs design the treatment and monitor results, the nurses are the ones that get you thru.

• SuzJ
    edited March 2017 #26
    Options
    Ok, update

Day one of Chemo and radiation - my confidence has taken a hard knock, and if a racehorse had to pee this much before he finished a race, he'd always be a winner! Mannitol? Devils work, I swear!

I called home - my 86 y/o dad whose on Lasix had to go less than me!

Anyways, chemo was ok, I think they were digging for gold with the bloodwork and IV's (PIC tomorrow)

Radiation - probably something to do with all the chemo stuff, it was a blur, she said 10 minutes, but it was done in a few revolutions.. (was that me?) Downside was when she sat me up, the  world went black and I had to get horizontal on the table to get my head back

Upstairs for English cureall, hot English tea! felt a bit better after, drove home, did the land speed record from the driveway to the bathroom...omg when does the peeing stop? (I am drinking, non stop) and my head hurts. (took tylenol)

Nurse called from PIC to remind me, said it's going to feel like I got hit in the chest... okayyyy.... I'd rethink it, but, being stabbed for gold in both hands twice a week, HURTS.

I'll quit whining now, plenty have it worse than me, I'll be fine.

• SuzJ
    edited March 2017 #27
    Options
    Passing out..

Is this normal? I have passed out more in 2 days than I have my entire life. I'm not superwoman :(

• MMDowns
    edited March 2017 #28
    Options
    SuzJ said:

Passing out..

Is this normal? I have passed out more in 2 days than I have my entire life. I'm not superwoman :(

Not sure that it is "normal".

Not sure that it is "normal".  Are you dehydrated?  That could be a sign that you might be.  Have you called your dr.?  Praying that you find out some answers.

• SuzJ
    edited March 2017 #29
    Options
    Stopped by clinic

After radiation yesterday, they gave another bag, plus ibuprofen to stop a pounding headache. I felt AMAZING afterward! Today, UGH, mistake 1) drinking coffee... must remember, no more caffeine, need juice, and water, nausea caught up, this is not a good day

• MMDowns
    Options
    So sorry it's not a good day.

So sorry it's not a good day.   It will pass.  I know that hearing that now is not so helpful, but it will pass.  Have you been taking your anti-nausea meds regularly?  I give my husband his an hour before he is due for another because once it hits, it's a B to get under control.  I also never hesitated to call the nurse when he felt wonky because I wanted him to be able to function as much as possible.  So we have two anti-nausea drugs and we can go in for fluids whenever he needs it.  If possible, can you go back today for fluids and possibly anti- nausea meds given via IV?

Water, water, and lots of water.  Or Gatorade or Propel.  Anything that can replenish electrolytes.    Sleep if you can.  

I hope you feel better this evening.  Hang in there!

• AnotherSurvivor
    edited March 2017 #31
    Options
    Peeing is a good thing, stay

Peeing is a good thing, stay hydrated as long as you can.   I was knocking down +60 oz of water daily during weeks 1 & 2, by week 5 was getting daily saline infusions to prevent dehydration, and that continued to week 3 post.  Chemo + rad days are strange events.  Put on aquaphor or whatever they gave you for skin burns NOW, and EAT.  MORE CALORIES = SHORTER RECOVERY TIME.

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited March 2017 #32
    Options
    belated welcome

Drink as much fluid as you possibly can, it is virtually impossible to overdo it at this point. In fact, be very on guard about not getting enough fluid and needing at extra IV bag of saline. Most do need pain meds at some point. You will not get addicted. When your body is in need of pain relief, it somehow does not trigger an addictive reaction. (me - no DR. LOL)

Good luck, take one day at a time. 

• SuzJ
    edited March 2017 #33
    Options
    PIC line

So I was cruising along thinking - I got this (had to be an OP as my airways is too small) - then the numbing meds are wearing off, I feel like I walked my dog, for miles (german Shepherd) with her pulling all the way!)

Again, after the hospital, I felt great, another litre of fluids, trying to keep up with it, I have bottles everywhere so I don't have to think about it, all in various stages of melting..

Thank You for all the support, finding out I'm not superwoman was a serious blow, I always thought I was really strong and could do anything, alone. But I need you guys. I really appreciate the words of encouragement, and wisdom.

• SuzJ
    Options
    Um..

My weekend has sucked. Pain and stuff.

My temp is now almost 100 @3 am, I'm a little concerned.

• AnotherSurvivor
    edited March 2017 #35
    Options
    When was your last chemo?  

When was your last chemo?   Also, temp is MAJOR leading indicator.  Per my oncols 100.3 is CALL NOW AND HEAD IN TIME.  Don't let them blow you off.  A good infusion team will be all over you when you spike a temp.  And it sounds like you should start saline infusions at least every other day NOW, it will allow your infusion team to monitor you.  The effects of treatment are cumulative, YOU WILL NOT BE STRONGER LATER.  The cancer probably won't kill you, the side effects very much can.   There were five of us a few weeks apart with very similar conditions.  By week 5 all five of us were getting infusions at least every other day, and by the end, daily (yes, including Saturday and Sunday).  

• MMDowns
    edited March 2017 #36
    Options
    I agree with AnotherSurvivor.

I agree with AnotherSurvivor.  If you have not already called your dr. you should.  Seems like you do need fluids on a regular basis.  I know that it stinks and you probably feel lousy but the fluids will help and the dr's and nurses can monitor you.  Best place to be, in my opinion, is where all the dr's and nurses are .  :)  Hang in there.  You can do this.  You already are.  My hsuband's first week was tough too.  But he went in for fluids and anti nausea drugs and came out a different person.  He was really good for the last 3 weeks.  It does help.  Keep us updated!

• AnotherSurvivor
    edited March 2017 #37
    Options
    Ditto with what donfoo says,

Ditto with what donfoo says, take the drugs.  Even if you get a habit, the Palative Care docs and nurses are expert at helping with that, you will not end up a junkie.  You have to just get thru the next six weeks, and only one day at a time, take every bit of help you can get. Save tough for just getting out of bed..  A lot of stuff like daily infusions are available and heavily used, but you may have to ask.

• Chicklette
    Chicklette Member Posts: 225
    edited March 2017 #38
    Options
    dw195 said:

RT and Recovery

SuzJ,
    I'm currently in my first week of recovery after 7 weeks of daily Proton radiation therapy and 5 rounds of Erbitux. I was in pretty good shape as i'm a cyclist and regularly rode my bike 40 or 50 miles at a time. Even with that, as has been mentioned beginning around week 4 you will become extremely fatigued and it will start to become very difficult to eat. i didn't get a peg tube and luckily since I decided on Proton in lieu of IMRT the rads aren't quite as bad, but now in my first week of recovery after treatment I'm on a total liquid diet with a little bit of watermelon occassionaly.

I'm sleeping at least 12 hours a day and working from home a couple of hours a day. You will not be able to go into an office the final few weeks of your therapy, I hope you can plan around that.

Don

Where were you treated?

My husband has been looking into proton therapy.  We have a consultation at Mass General on on Friday and are planning to ask about it since they have a proton center there.

• SuzJ
    Options
    Rads today

Saw the rads dr, because I literally couldn't sit alone, all I want to do is get horizonantal.

They gave me a bag of fluids, didn't make me feel much better tho.

Tomorrow is labs and infusions, so hopefully, I'll get some go go juice in with everything else.

Temp shows over 100 at home, but normal at hospital, so waiting til tomorrow

I am drinking, every chance I get, McDonalds <3 me - Pineapple Mango smoothies, come to mama!

• SuzJ
    Options
    Chemo

The first chemo was 21st, having it every 3 weeks. They thought today would be a good day to tell me it's going to get worse - bad idea. Cisplatin