Post Whole Body Hyperthermia

Editgrl
Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member

Thought I'd post an update. The WBH went well. Basically I stripped down and climbed into a unit that looked something like a cross between a waterbed and a tanning booth. At first it felt pleasantly warm as they hooked up the various sensors, but the longer I lay there, the happier I was to be put out. And I went out immmediately. I woke up about 3 1/2 hours later in a recovery room. I proceeded to sleep for about 14 hours, only waking up when they came to check my vitals, at which time I also swigged water because I had to pass a certain amount of urine before they would remove the catheter and let me go back to my room. I felt pretty good the rest of the day, a bit tired, but not too bad. Last night I did have a bit of nausea and more fatigue, so today I am taking it easy. But tonight my appetite is back and I feel almost normal. The rest of the time here I will have local hyperthermia every day and continue with the supplements, infusions, and other complementary therapies. I am curious to see if the chemo side effects are indeed lessened. What I experienced last night was pretty typical of my second day after my first chemo, but so far no constipation, so that's a plus!

Comments

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Chris, so glad you made it

Chris, so glad you made it through. Thanks so much for the update. I know, you know we are all waiting to hear from you. :-)

How long before you come back home?

You are in my thoughts every day!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Editgrl
    I'll be flying

back on the 24th and will be back in Sac on the 25th. By then, I should know a little German!

• cindy0519
    cindy0519 Member Posts: 173
    edited March 2017 #4
    So awesome!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  I am in awe!  Can't wait to hear the results!!!

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    This sounds so good

thanks for sharing.  I am so hoping for good results for you.  Hugs and prayer, Lou Ann

• rcdeman
    rcdeman Member Posts: 263 Member
    Hi Chris,

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing your experience and glad you seem to be doing well! Glad constipation isn't an issue this time and hope you recuperate quickly!

Looking forward to your next update!
    Rebecca

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    Ditto!

Echoing the love coming from our peachy sisters- sending big ole (((HUGS))) and prayers for your safe return.  Haven't heard from Helen yet.  We'll be so looking for an update from you both <3 

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Thanks so much for sharing

Thanks so much for sharing and praying for good results on all of this.

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    edited March 2017 #9
    Chris, this is truly

Chris, this is truly fascinating and leaves me with so many questions! How soon do they expect to see some sort of result? What type of results are they expecting to see? Will you need to go through another WBH or was one sufficient? Can you go through it more than once? And a hundred more questions but I'll leave it at that for now. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. Best wishes and positive thoughts headed your way! Kim

• SandyD
    SandyD Member Posts: 130
    Glad to hear it went well

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with this treatment. Will be very interested in results and whether any followup is necessary.

• Editgrl
    Kvdyson said:

Chris, this is truly

Chris, this is truly fascinating and leaves me with so many questions! How soon do they expect to see some sort of result? What type of results are they expecting to see? Will you need to go through another WBH or was one sufficient? Can you go through it more than once? And a hundred more questions but I'll leave it at that for now. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. Best wishes and positive thoughts headed your way! Kim

To answer some of your

To answer some of your questions...

The doctor is initially looking at a plan of 6 whole body treatments with concurrent chemo. The visits after this first one will be much shorter, 8-10 days rather than 3 weeks. During those visits I will also have the daily local hyperthermia and other supportive therapies. After the third treatment, I will have a scan done to see what things look like. Since there was no node enlargement and the recurrence would not have shown up on a CT,  I will have the PET scan done back here in the states where my insurance will cover it. We will be looking for a reduction of hypermetabolic activity. Depending on what the scan shows will determine what happens next.

i have had a little bit of constjpation,  but so far nothing like what I experienced during my first chemo Nor have I had the abdominal pains I experienced first go round. We'll see if things return completely to normal over the next few days. Otherwise, I feel good and have been working out in the gym or hiking around the area every day.

i am also going to do a combo in-patient out-patient thing for my next treatments if all goes well. In-patient for 2-3 days around the WBH, then moving to one of the many extremely reasonably priced pensiones or flats within walking distance for the remaining days. This will save a considerable amount of money.

As it is, though I had initially planned to return home before my next treatment, now that they have decided my WBH treatments are to be 3 weeks apart, that would mean I would be home for less than a week before getting on a plane again. So I have rented a lovely flat just down the street and will enjoy a treatment free week before my next go-round. It's a lovely quiet area here and it will be nice to be out of the hospital environment for a few days, though it is a far more homey environment than any hospital I have ever been in.

i will keep you all posted.

Chris

• cindy0519
    cindy0519 Member Posts: 173
    edited March 2017 #12
    Editgrl said:

To answer some of your

To answer some of your questions...

The doctor is initially looking at a plan of 6 whole body treatments with concurrent chemo. The visits after this first one will be much shorter, 8-10 days rather than 3 weeks. During those visits I will also have the daily local hyperthermia and other supportive therapies. After the third treatment, I will have a scan done to see what things look like. Since there was no node enlargement and the recurrence would not have shown up on a CT,  I will have the PET scan done back here in the states where my insurance will cover it. We will be looking for a reduction of hypermetabolic activity. Depending on what the scan shows will determine what happens next.

i have had a little bit of constjpation,  but so far nothing like what I experienced during my first chemo Nor have I had the abdominal pains I experienced first go round. We'll see if things return completely to normal over the next few days. Otherwise, I feel good and have been working out in the gym or hiking around the area every day.

i am also going to do a combo in-patient out-patient thing for my next treatments if all goes well. In-patient for 2-3 days around the WBH, then moving to one of the many extremely reasonably priced pensiones or flats within walking distance for the remaining days. This will save a considerable amount of money.

As it is, though I had initially planned to return home before my next treatment, now that they have decided my WBH treatments are to be 3 weeks apart, that would mean I would be home for less than a week before getting on a plane again. So I have rented a lovely flat just down the street and will enjoy a treatment free week before my next go-round. It's a lovely quiet area here and it will be nice to be out of the hospital environment for a few days, though it is a far more homey environment than any hospital I have ever been in.

i will keep you all posted.

Chris

Thanks for the update!

Sounds like a great plan. Sorry to hear you have had some side effects - at least they are not as bad as the first go round.  The flat is an excellent idea and sounds lovely.  Thinking of and praying for you!

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Sounds like things are going

Sounds like things are going well:) Thanks for the update.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Chris, thanks for the update.

Chris, thanks for the update. I'm so glad you have been able to enjoy part of the time you are there. I'm sure getting into your "own" place was uplifting. So hopeful that this works to bring you to a forever dance with Mr. Ned. Love and Hugs, Cindi

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    This is great Chris

Great info and what a great experience you are having- the flat sounds lovely- I wish we could see pictures.  Keep us posted as you can.  (((HUGS)))

• debbie000
    debbie000 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2017 #16
    thank you for sharing your experiances

Thank you for the update  I will be curious to hear more.

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    Thanks for sharing chris. 

Thanks for sharing chris.