Options
    Yay!

Hopefully the hardest part is over!

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    edited May 2017 #103
    Options

3 o'clock in the morning

Ladies, completed my final chemo today. Now 5 radiation treatments in June and I will be done. Then I see how things go for the next few years. The steriods keep me awake, but I have earphones so am not disturbing my son's family (with the movies I watch) where I am enjoying their wonderful hospitality for a week.

Guess I will be checking in every now and then to see how all of you are doing. I wish the best for all of us and know you have made my journey easier. Thank you all.

Come July I will resume riding horses - it will just be a slow walk around the ring for the first few weeks but hope to be up to a gallop by September. Hugs!!!!

Yeah FAYE!  See what we mean

Yeah FAYE!  See what we mean by "doable"?  No one can really understand it until after they make it through the other side - so you see it is.  Congrats.

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Donna- Great news!

You did it!  So happy to hear you are enjoying your family and looking forward to your future Cool  Big ole (((HUGS))) look forward to you popping in from time to time to keep us posted on your progress and adventures with horses.

• Donna Faye
    Donna Faye Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Celebrated too fast/blood clots

Had the 6 mo. ct scan on Monday and was all set for great news but that was not what I got. Small blood clots were in my lungs and was immediately started on Lovenox shots/ 2 times/day for next 3 months. Doctors say caused by the cancer but am having sonograms of legs today to be sure. No sign of cancer anywhere but now this. Did any of you have blood clots?  Naturally this was quite upsetting to me in many ways as I now wonder if I should have not done the chemo.

Not sure how these are caused but uterine cancer and tomoxifin both are in the literature.  Am really disappointed in this set back as the blood thinner drug can cause all kinds of issues.  Trying to keep calm and carry on.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Donna Faye, So sorry to hear

Donna Faye, So sorry to hear this! Please don't look back and second guess yourself. My understanding is that ports can also cause blood clots. I can't remember if you have one. I hope you have minimal side effects from the blood thinner and you get this in your rear view mirror quickly.

Take care and please let us know how you are doing.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Clots

Hi Donna Faye

Having cancer itself makes you extra clotty so you could have had the clots even without chemo. I actually had a stroke. Don't second guess, I agree. Good luck with shots. Maybe use some of your Lidocaine because I know they sting.  I'm actually now on Coumadin probably for rest of my life. 

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    While. Did not have blood

While. Did not have blood clots while on cancer treatment, I did have a pulmonary embolism a week after donating a kidney to my daughter almost 10 years ago. My dry had me have the blood thinner shots while on a trip during chemo. And yes, I've read that chemo can make the blood thicker. Also, any obdominal surgery can make a clot possible and I have been told the port causes inflammation that could lead to a clot. So far so good for me, but I remain cautious also. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this, but be thankful that it was discovered. My continued prayers for you!

• Donna Faye
    edited June 2017 #109
    Options
    Things I have learned

Too late! When my oncologist was encouraging me to have the chemo as a preventative, she failed to tell me I was at very high risk for blood clots.

Did you know that having had BC, taken Tamoxifin, having cancer can cause blood clots? I wish I had known this prior. Last week was very scary as clots in lungs and legs, so now on Lovenox for no telling how long IF a clot does not break away and kill me. Have learned to give myself the shots 2 times a day, did ask for counseling as I felt I was a walking time bomb and needed someone to hear me. Did not want to have all this at my age ( 77 ) which also upped the risk for clots. Am trying to adjust my thinking to more positive thoughts, but do think if you are older, and have had or taken above mentioned things, you would want to know. 

No crying over spilled milk. Trying to stay calm and carry on.

• CheeseQueen57
    Options
    Stay Tough Donna Faye

This is a bump. The treatment for this dreaded disease gives us all bumps we don't want to deal with. But as my dear father used to say, "better than the alternative". The chemo most likely saved your life. We all have to deal with the complications of the treatment. As long as they are worth our life, we try to think they are worth it.  Try to win the battle in your mind. I found that my greatest battle. We're all with you, doll!

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    edited June 2017 #111
    Options

Things I have learned

Too late! When my oncologist was encouraging me to have the chemo as a preventative, she failed to tell me I was at very high risk for blood clots.

Did you know that having had BC, taken Tamoxifin, having cancer can cause blood clots? I wish I had known this prior. Last week was very scary as clots in lungs and legs, so now on Lovenox for no telling how long IF a clot does not break away and kill me. Have learned to give myself the shots 2 times a day, did ask for counseling as I felt I was a walking time bomb and needed someone to hear me. Did not want to have all this at my age ( 77 ) which also upped the risk for clots. Am trying to adjust my thinking to more positive thoughts, but do think if you are older, and have had or taken above mentioned things, you would want to know. 

No crying over spilled milk. Trying to stay calm and carry on.

Dear Faye, thanks for letting

Dear Faye, thanks for letting us know what is going on.  I am glad you found someone to talk to and hope that they gave you some ideas on how to manage it all.  Take a breath and one day at a time.

• dgrdalton
    dgrdalton Member Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Also UPSC Stage 1A

This thread has been so helpful for me today! So sorry for the blood clot problem you are facing Donna Faye. I'm pretty well recovered from surgery and waiting to see gyn/onco to get chemo setup. Got a call today that the appt. had been put off for an extra week. The waiting is so hard for me; that's why you helped me by just sharing your chemo experience. I like to plan and prepare and so it is hard to wait and wonder. I do know I will have 6 rounds of chemo 3 weeks apart and no radiation. Thank you to all the ladies sharing and encouraging one another!

Donna Gayle

• Nellasing
    Options
    dgrdalton have you found this thread?

https://csn.cancer.org/node/296461 if the link doesn't work- you can search titles - put in "Ladies going through chemo" and it will bring up a ton of information from what others have experienced.  I hope this is helpful for you- I know waiting is hard- it's one of the most difficult parts of the whole thing really.  I think it's just the unknown and the lack of forward motion.  Once you get going - even though it's not easy- you find that you will make it day by day and appointment to appointment.  We're here with you and for you.  Hang in there!  (((HUGS)))

• Donna Faye
    Options
    Blood thinners

Donna Gayle, glad you found this site - it really helped me so much.

I am now 20 days out from the blood clot find and 38 shots to my tummy which I am now giving myself. I was very depressed and scared for about 8 of those days, but since have found that is very common with all who suddenly find they have blood clots. I sort of had a melt down at the oncology app't. so they called a counselor in and after sharing my fears and concerns, also got calls from all my doctors and after getting the facts, I am doing better. I have 2 fantasic son-in-laws who are medically trained and they gave me the shots until I got brave enough to do myself. I am going to radiation on Tuesday and if they can assure me that it will not make my emotions overcome me, I will have the 5 bracky treatments. I have 3 - 6 months on blood thinners ( hope to switch to pill when I see the hematologist in July), but then hope I can go off them and get back to a less stressful life.

Hang in there Donna Gayle. Waiting is part of the experience and it never gets easier. I like to have more control than cancer allows. I am learning that there are times when things fall apart and all one can do is take one day at a time. At my age, one would think I had learned that but Alas, not.

• dgrdalton
    dgrdalton Member Posts: 161 Member
    edited July 2017 #115
    Options
    Nellasing said:

dgrdalton have you found this thread?

https://csn.cancer.org/node/296461 if the link doesn't work- you can search titles - put in "Ladies going through chemo" and it will bring up a ton of information from what others have experienced.  I hope this is helpful for you- I know waiting is hard- it's one of the most difficult parts of the whole thing really.  I think it's just the unknown and the lack of forward motion.  Once you get going - even though it's not easy- you find that you will make it day by day and appointment to appointment.  We're here with you and for you.  Hang in there!  (((HUGS)))

Thank you for the info. I was

Thank you for the info. I was only disappointed that the thread ended last year. There seemed to be such a lovely bonding of ladies sharing. And yes, I'm still waiting, but staying busy! 

• Donna Faye
    Options
    Better news

Started bracky on June 27 and my doctor was wonderful as was his staff. They knew that I was at the end of my theter and so they took all the time in the world to explain every step and nothing was not as they promised. No discomfort at all - all femaie staff except for the doctor but he is a jewel. 55 minutes after entering, it was done and all went perfect. Had second one on the 30th and was in and out in 30 minutes. Thank goodness this last phase is going well.

Now 50 shots of Lovenox later, I am doing OK with living with the clots and the shots.  I am walking more every day and feeling stronger. My support team has been fantastic and I can see light at the end of this tunnel. Thanks to all of you for weighing in and to all who come after us, may this group be helpers as you begin your journey.

Hugs, Faye

• CheeseQueen57
    Options
    So Happy!

Glad you're at the end of your treatment!  Ring that bell!!!

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    So happy to hear your news

So happy to hear your news Faye. You will get a bit stronger every day. Be kind to yourself and give your body time to heal from all of the stuff it has been through. Congrats on finishing!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    Options
    Thank you for posting this

Thank you for posting this good news, Donna Faye. I think we can all use a little of that right now. Congrats on getting another step closer to the end of treatments. Wishing you continued good news!

• Nellasing
    Options
    Donna Faye

so glad you are nearing completion and that you are finding things a bit easier.  You are doing great and we are so excited that you will soon be done with all this and on to your new normal (((HUGS)))

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    edited July 2017 #121
    Options
    Donna, I'm so happy you have

Donna, I'm so happy you have a good team for your treatment! It can make all the difference!