Triple Negative Breast Cancer Treatment- Finish!!!

Options
2nu2tnbc
2nu2tnbc Member Posts: 69 Member

Hi everyone!  Yesterday was my last day of treatment.  I had 2 doctor appointments. My appointment with my radiologist was my final treatment, #33.  The doctor gave me a good report. The other aappointment was my 1st 3 month checkup with the Oncologist. My blood work was good. He noted that the only issue was a slightlylow white blood cell count.  He said that was due to radiation.  He also said that I could have the port removed!!! I'm still trying to absorb getting to this point and how I'm going to handle moving forward. I believe in the power of prayer!!!!  

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Finishing Treatment

I too am a TNBC survivor - 6 1/2 years. Congratulations to you. I had my port removed shortly after I was finished with treatment. Should you choose to do so it is a brief in office procedure. I drove myself to the office and home again. After spending so many months with cancer being the focus of my life, it was definitely odd to essentially be set free. You obviously never forget but it DOES become less prominent in your life.

I wish you only the best of luck.

IRENE 

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    edited March 2017 #3
    Options
    Congratulations

Wonderful news!  I finished Active treatment in July.  Enjoy the "new you", but remember that you are still recovering.  While you might feel like doing so many things now, you may find that some fatigue from the radiation may linger.  Continue to be good to yourself.

blessings!

Kathy

• 2nu2tnbc
    Options

Finishing Treatment

I too am a TNBC survivor - 6 1/2 years. Congratulations to you. I had my port removed shortly after I was finished with treatment. Should you choose to do so it is a brief in office procedure. I drove myself to the office and home again. After spending so many months with cancer being the focus of my life, it was definitely odd to essentially be set free. You obviously never forget but it DOES become less prominent in your life.

I wish you only the best of luck.

IRENE 

Thank you for being helpful

Thank you for being helpful and encouraging.  This site was a blessing. It's one big family of support!! I don't know if my doctor will remove my port in the office.

• 2nu2tnbc
    Options
    Teach76 said:

Congratulations

Wonderful news!  I finished Active treatment in July.  Enjoy the "new you", but remember that you are still recovering.  While you might feel like doing so many things now, you may find that some fatigue from the radiation may linger.  Continue to be good to yourself.

blessings!

Kathy

Thank you so much. I plan to

Thank you so much. I plan to take it easy and not try to get back to my regular routine too fast. Can't wait until I'm over the fatigue though!!!:)

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Congratulatons

Congratulations! It's such a good feeling to put those milestones behind you.

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    edited March 2017 #7
    Options
    Congratulations

Yah!  glad to hear this.  I look forward to this day and your giving all of us hope.  Thank you and may God bless you with continued health and sucess.

Hugs,

Annie

• peony
    peony Member Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    That's great news!  So happy

That's great news!  So happy for you.  Now you get to join the quest for finding your "new Normal".  It's good to have that behind you, so forward!  Onward!

• lisenbysl
    lisenbysl Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Great News! I am also a new

Great News! I am also a new finished treatment patient. I just finished January 19th. I still have my port in. I had a visit with my oncologist soon after. Everything looks good so far. I have had a gall bladder scan due to nauseau was still present. They wanted to rule out stones. And I will have a colonoscopy next week. If all is well I will be done for a few months. It's a great feeling to somewhat have your life back.

• joyce osei bonsu
    joyce osei bonsu Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I NEED HELP

Hi everyone, im just touched and encouraged by all your post. God richly bless you guys.

i was diagnosed 3and 1/2 years ago, I had surgery to take off my left breast November 2014, 10 months later I had a reoccurence in my lungs, my Dr. started chemo, i got better.

Just 2016 December i suffered a reoccurence again and this time treatment couldnt work after two cycles, im in pain, i cough throughout the night, ive lost weight as well.

I REALLY NEED HELP

• Kats2
    Kats2 Member Posts: 126
    edited March 2017 #11
    Options

I NEED HELP

Hi everyone, im just touched and encouraged by all your post. God richly bless you guys.

i was diagnosed 3and 1/2 years ago, I had surgery to take off my left breast November 2014, 10 months later I had a reoccurence in my lungs, my Dr. started chemo, i got better.

Just 2016 December i suffered a reoccurence again and this time treatment couldnt work after two cycles, im in pain, i cough throughout the night, ive lost weight as well.

I REALLY NEED HELP

Get another doctor Joyce!

Joyce,

What is your doctor doing to help you? If treatment didn't work after 2 cycles, what is your doctor's plan for you? Being in pain, coughing throughout the night, and losing weight all are signs that you need medical attention immediately. If your doctor or cancer facility isn't helping you,you need to seek out help from another doctor or Cancer Center. Don't think twice about it. You need to help yourself!

Go to your Primary Doctor if you have one and ask him/her to recommend another Oncologist who'll see you ASAP! Don't wait around and hope that someone will magically come to your rescue. 

Ask family or friends to help you get medical care soon. You must be your best advocate. You must be assertive. It's your life that's at stake.

I myself had to leave an Oncologist who wouldn't return my calls when I was experiencing severe rib and bone pain. My regular doctor had to help me and sent me for all the tests that I needed to have, NOT my Oncologist! My regular doctor knew that I needed to have a bone biopsy and because HE couldn't even get through to my Oncologist, arranged for me to have this biopsy in my local area, and from there I chose a NEW Oncologist closer to home. He's been excellent! He's even called me at home six times when I was going through my worst pain. I am now getting wonderful care.

So, speaking from experience, get yourself a doctor who'll care for you and about you. Don't wait!  If worse comes to worse go to the ER and tell them that you need help.   Wishing you well. Let us know how you make out.

Kats2 

• joyce osei bonsu
    joyce osei bonsu Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017 #12
    Options
    Kats2 said:

Get another doctor Joyce!

Joyce,

What is your doctor doing to help you? If treatment didn't work after 2 cycles, what is your doctor's plan for you? Being in pain, coughing throughout the night, and losing weight all are signs that you need medical attention immediately. If your doctor or cancer facility isn't helping you,you need to seek out help from another doctor or Cancer Center. Don't think twice about it. You need to help yourself!

Go to your Primary Doctor if you have one and ask him/her to recommend another Oncologist who'll see you ASAP! Don't wait around and hope that someone will magically come to your rescue. 

Ask family or friends to help you get medical care soon. You must be your best advocate. You must be assertive. It's your life that's at stake.

I myself had to leave an Oncologist who wouldn't return my calls when I was experiencing severe rib and bone pain. My regular doctor had to help me and sent me for all the tests that I needed to have, NOT my Oncologist! My regular doctor knew that I needed to have a bone biopsy and because HE couldn't even get through to my Oncologist, arranged for me to have this biopsy in my local area, and from there I chose a NEW Oncologist closer to home. He's been excellent! He's even called me at home six times when I was going through my worst pain. I am now getting wonderful care.

So, speaking from experience, get yourself a doctor who'll care for you and about you. Don't wait!  If worse comes to worse go to the ER and tell them that you need help.   Wishing you well. Let us know how you make out.

Kats2 

THANKS KATS

Thanks alot Kat, Im humbled by your advise. I have a doctors appointment on Monday. I will update you on how things goes.