Stopping avastin for 2 months

Options

I need to have surgery..torn rotator cuff from a fall 3 weeks ago and oncologist says i have to stop avastin 4 weeks before and 4 weeks after surgery. i am scared about stopping. I've boon on avastin almost 2 years and it has controlled  my serous carcinoma. however in the last few months one implant has grown a little and my CA 125 has crept up gradually from 16 to 30. i am really afraid that 2 months without avastin will be open season for the cancer to grow, grow. but it's either one or the other and i am having a tough time deciding..cancer vs. Awful- excruciating pain.. Has anyone experienced a break with treatment?

Comments

• henhill
    henhill Member Posts: 123
    Options
    What did the doctor say?

I can only say, and this is just my experience, 'i waited a few months last summer to start chemo after a recurrence, so we could assess how fast it was growing.  After I started, the drug, the tumors shrunk.  I hope your doctor will assure you that he wouldn't jeopordize your health or take too great a risk without your consent,  Peace to you.

• tripsie
    tripsie Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2017 #3
    Options
    henhill said:

What did the doctor say?

I can only say, and this is just my experience, 'i waited a few months last summer to start chemo after a recurrence, so we could assess how fast it was growing.  After I started, the drug, the tumors shrunk.  I hope your doctor will assure you that he wouldn't jeopordize your health or take too great a risk without your consent,  Peace to you.

Hi. my dr said that she wasn

Hi. my dr said that she wasn't sure if/how much it would set me back...that it couldn't be quantified..i asked if there was a substitute in pill form, but she hasn't  replied  yet . 

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    tripsie-

You could also ask about being monitored during the break and ask what they can do "IF" they were to see something concerning beginning to happen.  I haven't dealt with that situation and I am sure it must be such a concern- I'm super sorry you are having to deal with it.  We can always hope that perhaps this is happening for a reason and that when you restart treatment your body will kick into high gear and start behaving by shrinking that growth and dropping that CA125?!  ((((HUGS))) for you!