Able to feel Mets when exercising?

Options

I am starting up yoga after 3 months of sleeping anytime I wasn't at work.  So my body is in bad shape.  But I am starting off kinda easy with Yoga.  I did it last night but I was suprised how much I could tell the Met was there on my side.  It got angry at me.  Anyone have this same thing or should I call my Onco? 

Comments

• nateswife
    nateswife Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Where is your metastasis?

Where is your metastasis? When stretching and doing yoga, or anything that compresses my abdomen I can feel the tumor growth. My liver has 40-50% tumor involvement so is larger than normal. What I'm feeling is the pressure put on my liver by other organs pressing into it. It hurts.

Does yours hurt when you do yoga? Good for you for making the effort. Anything that gets us off the couch and a bit more active is a good thing. I did a Livestrong class at the Y for cancer survivors. It was great to do something active with other people who had been through (approximately) the same thing.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    Yoga

I think it must be a good thing to some gentle yoga to start with, but I do suggest you talk to you Oncologist first, just to make sure all is well. 

I have several yoga for Cancer DVDs.  Nice gentle exercises.  I have a different circumstance that you have, in that I cn feel the scar tissue from my liver ablation when I do yoga, or anything that stretches the right side. Shoveling snow (as I found out this winter), vacuuming, even kneading bread.  Anything that has a repetative right side motion;

When I first felt my charcoal tumour (as I like to call it), I was scared witless, sure that the Cancer had spread. 

I am sorry that you (and nateswife) are feeling actual tumours. My heart goes out to you both. 

So, be good to yourself. Call you Onc and ask if its OK to carry on, and then go for it. But I would definitely suggest you start off gentle, none of the hot yoga, or hanging upside down swinging your legs like a windmill unless your Onc says go anything goes and you like that kind of yoga.

TRU 

• IcyMoonstone
    IcyMoonstone Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2017 #4
    Options
    Here it is.

It is around my Adrenaline gland so I can feel it right under my ribs.  I was wondering if it was bad for me to "anger" it by exercising.  Some of the moves that compressed the side were uncomfortable and hurt just in that spot. 

It hurt through the yoga moves on the right side.  I was just curious if I was the only one.  I am hoping to start riding horses again as my anemia is undercontrol again.  So between those to things..... My little alien (what I call that Met)  will be jostled around. 

• nateswife
    nateswife Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Trubrit is right- do ask your

Trubrit is right- do ask your onco whether your physical activities are ok. My Dr reminds me frequently to be careful not to bump my liver or spleen as trauma can cause an enlarged organ, or a large tumor, to rupture. A rupture of either is life threatening due to internal bleeding. As I'm sure you know- just stating the obvious :)

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Do check with your oncologist

but also remember when you 're doing yoga to listen to your body.  As  our yoga instructor always tells us, "Don't force  it or push it, listen to your body."

Grace/lizard44

• IcyMoonstone
    IcyMoonstone Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Mr. Alien

I did talk to the on call nurse today about this and the fact that a little blood showed up where we all fear it might show up, but I was told it's no big deal and I am good.  As soon as I realized Mr. Alien was unhappy I lessened on that side and rested whenever it came to something that might make him mad. 

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Holding Yoga poses

Several yrs ago I tried some yoga poses and stretches.  I found that I had a lot of discomfort after holding the poses, and I stopped. I was surprised that holding some of poses could irritate as much as they did, and cause discomfort. Maybe only doing specific stretches or exercises that are recommended for this type of cancer and also recommended by the Cancer Clinic would be safer.  They keep telling me walking is okay, but I would like to do others - I ask what kind of upper body exercise I can do with my port, and they often tell me not to lift beyond a certain weight, not to do sports that would affect the port or line, etc - so I feel limited - live in a cold climate, so walking outside is not always an option.  I get pangs where they did the liver biopsy, under my rib cage.