Bleeding after Surgery

Options

On day 8 post op I have some bleeding and when I clear the mucous I have fresh blood and clots. They mentioned when I left the hospital there might be some but if it was substantial go to the hospital. What is substantial. Very frustrated by the early aftercare on what to expect, frequently asked questions, what to do if and taking your meds etc. I am happy with my sugeon, top in his field but there is more to know

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    you are normal

cs,

you should easily recognize excessive bleeding.  You are likely to generate some blood just by coughing or clearing your throat.  BUT, it should not be too much and should become less as you heal.

Ask questions, squeaky wheel and all.  Your team is asked everything all the time.  Jump in and get the attention you deserve.

Matt

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    A phone call is an easy and

A phone call is an easy and cheap medical treatment, stopping dangerous bleeding is not.  There is no way you are in a position to evaluate the severity of your condition, that's why you employ doctors and nurses.   My wife is a VERY knowlegeable care provider who speaks every couple of days to our Emergency Medicine doctor son about very technical issues that he has seen in his practice.  Confronted with what you are experiencing, she would call and ask.  Be safe, First.  Be brave and strong later. 

Weeks, months maybe, from now you will know how to be a cancer patient.  For now you are in training, and will learn best by asking questions.

• candyshapiro
    candyshapiro Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you, It was middle of

Thank you, It was middle of the night and I was getting up some clots and active blood. It did subside and I called in the morning and in the afternoon received a call back. He said if there is a next time I go in to be see. Why always middle of the night. I do wish all of these docs had a frequesntlly asked questions and things that can happen etc. Same issue as when I had breast cancer.