campstar

Options

Has any one else had Campstar for colon cancer metastised to the liver? My husband is now in his 4th year of being diagnosed and treated

for stage 4 cancer.He is now being treated with Erbutix and Campstar. Every 3rd week he gets Campstar and it takes him about 5 days to

get over the 3rd week.I mean by that he has no energy, completely down and out and just feels bad. Other weeks he get Erbutix and then                             Campstar and Erbutix on the 3rd week. What can anyone tell me about real experience with Campstar? I know all the side effects that the

drug has to it but just want to know about real life experience of Campstar and Erbutix.

Thank you,

Karen

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it

In all my years on this forum, I have never heard Campstar mentioned.  I hope you find someone here who can answer your question. 

TRU

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    We know it as irinotecan. Not

We know it as irinotecan. Not one of my favourites. It's spelled as campostar. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital last summer due to diarrhea they couldn't control. We are all different so your hubby may not have to many problems.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options

We know it as irinotecan. Not one of my favourites. It's spelled as campostar. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital last summer due to diarrhea they couldn't control. We are all different so your hubby may not have to many problems.

Well I never!

Thanks Sandy!

I've definitely heard of Irinotecan (I run to the can) and its adverse side effects. 

What country do you live in, Karee?

TRU

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    edited February 2017 #5
    Options
    Camptosar and Erbitux

I'm 72 and was diagnosed  with rectal cancer with liver mets two years ago. I just had my 17th  treatment with the Captosar (Irinotecan)/Erbitux combination.  I've been on it since last April on an every other week schedule except for a break  for a liver ablation in August. So far I've done better than I expected after reading about the possible side effects, although  I've been a little slower to recover my energy after this last dose, but that could also be due to  pollen season which generally makes me miserable with sinus drainage and trouble sleeping. Most of my problems have been with the dry skin and nail side effects from the Erbitux although they are fairly manageable. Other than that,  I sometimes alternate between mild constipation and   loose bowels for a few days after treatment but that's  controlled by alternating between  eating prunes and  taking  Imodium and sorts itself out fairly quickly without becoming a problem.

Is your dad taking any drugs or herbal supplements or  eating or drinking something that might affect  the chemo? Is he eating well and getting a nutrtious diet  and getting plenty of rest? I  hope  the docs, you, and he, can find a way to deal with the  energy loss  so he can continue the treatment without difficulty.  The Camptosar/Erbitux combination  has worked well for me so far and I hope it does the same for your dad. 

Grace/lizard44

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    edited February 2017 #6
    Options
    Chemo

Hi Karen - I have CRC with several liver mets. My chemo cocktail includes irinotecan (didn't know also known as camptosar).  I have a small bowel stricture which causes partial intestinal spasms/blockages, so I have additional issues re: constipation and diarrhea - have folfiri chemo (cocktail includes irinotecan) + avastin every two weeks, plus 5 days of WBC shots, so have little time in between to get myself back to my "not normal bowel regimen" - no routine day to day, but generally feel better few days just before start chemo again - have 5Fu bottle attached to port for two days after chemo infusion, so really having chemo every 12 days.  Having a fairly difficult time with this, so I go between imodium and miralax/sennakot depending on the issue. My Onco says I have more abdominal issues than others who don't have the added intestinal stricture.  Main side effects also include sore mouth, nose bleeding, some shortness of breath, fatigue, need sleeping pills to sleep, bone pain from WBC shots. Wishing your husband well.  I am having a CT scan after my 12th chemo (coming up) so will report to group.  After 6th Chemo still had numerous liver lesions, but said "markedly reduced", so kept on same chemo.  

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    edited March 2017 #7
    Options
    Bellen said:

Chemo

Hi Karen - I have CRC with several liver mets. My chemo cocktail includes irinotecan (didn't know also known as camptosar).  I have a small bowel stricture which causes partial intestinal spasms/blockages, so I have additional issues re: constipation and diarrhea - have folfiri chemo (cocktail includes irinotecan) + avastin every two weeks, plus 5 days of WBC shots, so have little time in between to get myself back to my "not normal bowel regimen" - no routine day to day, but generally feel better few days just before start chemo again - have 5Fu bottle attached to port for two days after chemo infusion, so really having chemo every 12 days.  Having a fairly difficult time with this, so I go between imodium and miralax/sennakot depending on the issue. My Onco says I have more abdominal issues than others who don't have the added intestinal stricture.  Main side effects also include sore mouth, nose bleeding, some shortness of breath, fatigue, need sleeping pills to sleep, bone pain from WBC shots. Wishing your husband well.  I am having a CT scan after my 12th chemo (coming up) so will report to group.  After 6th Chemo still had numerous liver lesions, but said "markedly reduced", so kept on same chemo.  

Bellen- Are your WBC shots Neupogen?

Have  you  asked  about taking Claritin or Tylenol before you get the shots? I had    very low  wbc counts   severala times while on the FOLFOX plus Avastin, and needed  to get the Neupogen shots. I had terrific bone pain  with the first shot of Neupogen- mostly in my hips and  shins.  The nurse told me to take a Claritin or Tylenol before coming in for the next shot.  I hate to take OTC meds and take them very sparingly, but decided it  might be worth a try to get rid of the pain so I took a Tylenol (we didn't have any Claritin on hand) before  going in for the next shot.  It really did  help so I  took one  every day before  going in for the shot.  No more bone pain. It might be worth  asking  your doc or nurses about.

Grace/lizard44

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    WBC shots - bone pain

Hi Grace - Yes, my shots are neupogen - 5 days.  Onco increased dosage of shot to 480 due to low WBC counts even with shots 300 (I think they are mcg) about treatment 8 - seems like pain is starting earlier in week than with lower dosage. I do take 2 reg tylenol/2x each day when have, and does help. Mine is bad spinal pain, sternum, and intestinal area.  Have heard about claritin and might try - may only have to take one.  But, yes the tylenol does help.

• karee
    karee Member Posts: 6
    Options

campostar

Canadian Sandy:He does have severe episodes of diarrhea. His energy level seems to be getting worse as the months go by.Mostly on the 3rd week when getting

the campostar.How long have your been getting this chemo campostar? Has it seemed to be making you feel worse as times goes on and on?