Question???

Has anyone else had this happen to them?  This was infusion day for me and I had  labs, doctor's visit and my infusion. And all went well.  All done... the nurse deaccessed my port, complete with the smelly stuff that is supposed to Close up the port.  she put a bandaids on it and I left.  As I was walking down the hall I felt a warm trickle running down my chest between the girls.  I had bled through the bandaide, on to my bra and through my shirt.  I went back and found my nurse, who grabbed gause and put pressure on it.  It did stop quickly, and she.helped me clean up and put extra heavy padding over it and taped it down.  She had never seen that happen before,either.  Everything seems fine now, but it was worrisome and I guess fear of the unknown. This was my 45th round of treatment and never had a problem with bleeding like this.  My platelets are in good shape.

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    edited February 2017 #2
    Lou Ann, I don't think anyone

Lou Ann, I don't think anyone has been in the territory you are in before.  No doubt it is alarming when anything different is from what we are familiar with.  Hopefully it was a one off.  

Hugs

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    once

Lou Ann:

That happened to me once.  After my infusion or my flush (I forget which one), I was sitting for lunch and I felt a small warm spot and saw that I was "dripping".  I still had my gauze bandaid on so I just applied pressure and it quit.  But it did get on my bra.   It only happened that one time and I had my port for 6 years.

Kathy

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Kaleena said:

once

Lou Ann:

That happened to me once.  After my infusion or my flush (I forget which one), I was sitting for lunch and I felt a small warm spot and saw that I was "dripping".  I still had my gauze bandaid on so I just applied pressure and it quit.  But it did get on my bra.   It only happened that one time and I had my port for 6 years.

Kathy

Thanks, Kathy

just knowing that this had happen to others is helpful.  I was  afraid of a port malfunction.  I am thinking it was a nicked vein when she pulled tha needle out.  Lou Ann

• Lou Ann M

Lou Ann, I don't think anyone

Lou Ann, I don't think anyone has been in the territory you are in before.  No doubt it is alarming when anything different is from what we are familiar with.  Hopefully it was a one off.  

Hugs

I was really afraid if a port

I was really afraid if a port problem.  Kind of like the old movie, Bucket List, where Morgan Freeman's port start to bleed.  Imagination can go a long way.  LOL? Lou Ann

• beccabtown
    beccabtown Member Posts: 234
    Kaleena said:

once

Lou Ann:

Kathy

Kathy, It's so encouraging to

Kathy, It's so encouraging to hear that you had your port for six years with no real problems. In fact, everything about your story gives me hope! (Just read through your About Me page.) Thank you for continuing to post updates and participate in the group. Rebecca

• beccabtown
    beccabtown Member Posts: 234
    Hoping it was nothing

Lou Ann, I hope it does turn out to be a one-time issue. Worrying about the port on top of worrying about cancer is just too much. I dreaded getting a port but have come to love it because I have hard-to-find veins. Best, Rebecca

• Kaleena

Kathy, It's so encouraging to

Kathy, It's so encouraging to hear that you had your port for six years with no real problems. In fact, everything about your story gives me hope! (Just read through your About Me page.) Thank you for continuing to post updates and participate in the group. Rebecca

Thanks Becca!

Rebecca,

Thank you for your kind words.  So glad to see you are NED!   Keep that positive outlook.   Please feel free to PM me anytime if you ever need to talk.  

My best to you!

Kathy

• Kaleena
    edited March 2017 #9
    Lou Ann M said:

Thanks, Kathy

just knowing that this had happen to others is helpful.  I was  afraid of a port malfunction.  I am thinking it was a nicked vein when she pulled tha needle out.  Lou Ann

Port stories

Lou Ann:

My port was twisted and hard to access.   I would have to lay down sometimes, put my arms over my head, or move a certain way sometimes just to have it access.  One nurse wouldn't touch it.   Another nurse I swear I thought she was going fishing!!   She took that end like it was a fishing hook and dug in!   Ouch!!!  Then you had nurses who were very smooth.   At times when they were done with flushing it I could feel a pop too.   I imagined this rubber thing that they kept poking through.   Sometimes I would be brused too. (which freaked me out but they said it was fine).

Just let them know the next time that that happened.  The nurse coud have been a little rough pulling the needle out.

If you are like me, with everything else going on in your life, this is just one thing you don't want to deal with!

(((Hugs)))

Kathy

• Lou Ann M
    edited March 2017 #10
    Kaleena said:

Port stories

Lou Ann:

My port was twisted and hard to access.   I would have to lay down sometimes, put my arms over my head, or move a certain way sometimes just to have it access.  One nurse wouldn't touch it.   Another nurse I swear I thought she was going fishing!!   She took that end like it was a fishing hook and dug in!   Ouch!!!  Then you had nurses who were very smooth.   At times when they were done with flushing it I could feel a pop too.   I imagined this rubber thing that they kept poking through.   Sometimes I would be brused too. (which freaked me out but they said it was fine).

Just let them know the next time that that happened.  The nurse coud have been a little rough pulling the needle out.

If you are like me, with everything else going on in your life, this is just one thing you don't want to deal with!

(((Hugs)))

Kathy

Mine is very tilted.  It is

Mine is very tilted.  It is my second one and was put in on top of scar tissue.  Most of the nurses can't get in it .. one of the blood lab guys can do it easily and quickly.  Luckily, most of the time Justin has me ready to go when I get to the infusion room.  If they have to do it they cringe and call Justin.  Never had a problem going the other way before.  I hate going to the ER because no one there can access it, but they all think they can So they just keep jabbing away.

Lou Ann