My journey - dose dense carbo/taxol week 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9

Options
MaryVig
MaryVig Member Posts: 37
edited April 2017 in Ovarian Cancer #1

I appreciate reading the experiences of others, as it has given me a feel for what I might experience on my journey. I am posting this as a summary of my experience recognizing that everyone's experience is different:  

on 17 Jan 2017 I received the news that I have ovarian cancer (clear cell carcinoma). 1Feb I had a hysterectomy to take the remaining parts and stage. The results confirmed Stage 1C. Oncologist said I could wait to see if there was a reoccurrence or do chemo as a prevention. Day 1 of chemo was 21 Feb.  I am now day 4 of the first infusion. Day of infusion the steroids really got me jittery (a friend said I was talking a mile a minute). Other than tasting metal during the taxol, I had no issues during infusion. The benedryl, given by pill at the start, made me sleepy. I had fear of the port, but the chemo nurse did an injection on the port skin (rather than cream) so I didn't feel anything other than pressure when the needle went in. It took 5 days after the port was put in to feel I could sleep on my side. The first infusion lasted a little over 4 hours. the nurses brought me iced water throughout the infusion And I had brought with me a frozen can of pineapple that thawed enough to eat very cold. 

I live in a state where marijuana is legal, and since I don't smoke, I have indica mints which I use as a sleep aide.  I took 20mg and slept for 9.5 hrs the night of the infusion.  I went to work the next day (day 2) and stayed in the office till late afternoon when I was thinking I was feeling nauseous, but I think it was hunger. During the 2nd night, with no sleeping aides, I woke up around 3am and took Compazine for nausea. I went back to sleep. Day 3 I worked until early afternoon as I was having trouble concentrating so I went home. I ended up taking zolfran before going to bed.

day 4 I didn't work, as I had a morning ultrasound on my thyroid, so I came home and rested.

My lessons so far: What the day 3 and 4 showed me was ... have crackers available at all times. Ginger candies dont do much for me.  The publications I was given said to eat 4-6 small meals, but i didn't make the connection about keeping something in the stomach. I've determined that day 3.5-4.2 were not great (the lowest), but tolerable. 

More to come.... as i am scheduled for 9 weeks of chemo. Thanks for listening.

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,371 Member
    Options
    Ah yes....chemobrain.  Your

Ah yes....chemobrain.  Your 'trouble concentrating" I remember well.  I was in the middle of a sentence with my boss and just went blank.  He made a joke, but I found it very frustrating.  Chemobrain is real but it doesn't last forever.   I played games with myself on remembering little things, and it took awhile, but you might want to keep a pen and paper handy to jot things down.  I found that helped until my brain got through it all.  For me it was at its worst at the beginning of the treatment.  Hang in there, Mary.  You will figure it out. 

Don't forget (hahaha - get it - chemo humor) chemo can cause constipation for many so be ready with something that makes you go.  I do remember one woman saying at the chemo center "Miralax is a miracle" and stuck in my mind.   

Keep us posted on your journey!

• LorettaMarshall
    LorettaMarshall Member Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Mary~Guess what~U R doing just fine~So far--so good! :)

Smile Good morning Mary,

For each of us, there will be similarities as well as differences.  Chemo is always a safe choice, unpleasant though it is. 

As for the “cold” foods, my oncologist had told me to eat or drink as many “cold” foods or drinks as possible.  Since chemo circulates throughout the whole body and can damage the gums, keeping something cold in your mouth is a preventative measure.  So you did well to consume “cold things”.

As for your port, the healing process is now finished.  I always felt more comfortable sleeping on my left side rather than on the right side where my port was located.  I seemed to feel more pressure in my neck area because of the port.  But I found that putting a small soft pillow between my shoulder and head allowed me to be more comfortable if I wanted to sleep on my right side.  It seemed to take pressure off that side.

As for snacks during the day of infusion, there are no restrictions.  At our oncology lab, volunteers come in each day around the noon hour and serve the patients lunch.  If a family member or friend accompanies the patient, they are served as well, and there are a variety of sandwiches to choose from plus chips, cookies and drinks.  That’s always a pleasant relief.

As for nausea, even though your “workup” included something for nausea, I never experienced nausea because during the entire period of time I was on chemo, I took my prescribed anti-nausea med- Granisetron (Kytril) faithfully each morning when I first awoke.  As a matter of fact, I took the pill to bed with me along with a bottle of water, and upon awaking each morning, I took it the first thing.  Often I would awaken just to use the bathroom, but when my eyes opened, that was when I took the pill long before I ate breakfast. 

As for eating, I included as much “high protein” food as I could during the day.  My husband would make me milkshakes with “BOOST” as the liquid and would put in a scoop of whey (30 grams per scoop) and he also put in a big spoon full of peanut butter.  I liked it to be as much the consistency as ice cream of possible.  I set a goal of at least 60 grams of protein a day.  Protein bars are good as a snack too.  I always ate scrambled eggs with a good amount of cheese in them for breakfast.  That served me well.

As for your Benadryl making you sleepy, it was a part of the IV prep that I had prior to the actual infusion of Carboplatin/Taxol.  For the first two series of chemo treatments, the Benadryl gave me “restless leg syndrome” that lasted for an hour.  This was the most uncomfortable part of the treatment.  I simply could not keep my feet and legs still.  But at the very first of the Benadryl, I would feel “woozy” and my speech became slurred, and the words ran past my thought process faster than I could get the words out.  My tongue was thick and I couldn’t pronounce my words.  While it put others to sleep, and they looked like they were just taking a nap, I was jittery and didn’t sleep.  So for this last series, my nurse, cut down the Benadryl by half as a prep, and it solved the jitters for me. 

As for sleep, it has never been a problem, and I haven’t needed anything for sleep.  As for food having a “metal taste” it is suggested that one eat with plastic utensils.  That might help.  Now the taste of food may change as in tasting “bitter”, that is normal.  I’ve discovered that chocolate has begun to taste too bitter, and I never had plans to remove chocolate from my diet.  And I will tell you that I “counted my last calorie” the day I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer.  But for some foods they loved before just will not continue to taste the same.  But after treatments are over, food preferences should return to normal.

And although you didn’t mention it, I have reminded “new chemo patients” of the importance of keeping one’s mouth moist at all times.  One should use the softest toothbrush often and message the gums when they brush their teeth.  And this time around, I purchased two big bottles of BIOTENE oral mouth rinse, and have used it several times during the day, preferably every 4 hours as per directions on the bottle.  Chemo dries out the mouth and can damage the gums, so mouth maintenance is very important.  I know I gave you multiple references in our first correspondence, but mouth maintenance is ever so important.  Mouth sores are horrible and eating will be a chore.  This is covered in my letter to “Brian” http://csn.cancer.org/node/301646.

So take note--stay out of the sun.  Your skin is going to be extremely sensitive. 

Fatigue is normal, so don’t push yourself to do what you do not feel like doing.  Chemo responses can be cumulative. Sometimes patients think, “Ahhhhh I feel great”, but wait a bit longer.  You’ll be the exception and not the rule if you “get by” without problems of some kind.  But that is to be expected. 

You’ve mentioned Taxol, so don’t be surprised if hair follicles are affected.  They usually are and that can take place from the second or third week along.  So just in case you have that experience, and don’t be surprised if you do, you might want to keep a sample swatch of hair so that you can match the color of your natural hair.  Now you’ll be blessed if it only becomes thinner, and doesn’t “turn loose”.  I’m now completely bald for the third time, but the good part is that I’m still here and my hair will come back, even though it grows ever so slowly.  So, if over time, you experience hair loss, count it as a positive.  While it’s removing hair on the outside of your body, it is taking away cancer on the inside, and that’s a trade-off worth having. 

Lastly, my oncologist set me up an appointment for the following day of each treatment.  My treatments were scheduled for once every 3 weeks, and the following day after my usual treatment, I returned for hydration, and a Neulasta injection (to enhance my white blood cell count) to build up my immune cells. 

So based on what you’ve shared with us, your first treatment has been quite normal.  Thanks for letting us know how your first treatment went.  For me, it was the most traumatic since I never knew what was going to happen.  Now the hair loss was a big “let down” for me, even though but I knew that it was a possibility. So by the third time around, I didn’t bother to go to the hairdresser, I just shaved it off myself with hair clippers, and my husband helped in places that were hard for me to reach.  To compensate, I purchased some false bangs from the Internet.  I just ordered another set of “curly bangs” because my others are straight.  They’re great to wear under a turban.  It makes me feel and look much better.  The girls in the lab never knew I didn’t have any hair until I told them.  Oh sure I’ve got wigs too, but the bangs and a turban are much more comfortable, so that’s what I wear for “every day” wear.  Now if I were going to some special function, then I would “dress up” more, and put on a wig, but for doctor’s visits and shopping, a turban fits the bill for me. 

So that’s all for now Mary.  Just thought I would compare notes and let you know that so far you’re “normal.”  Here’s hoping that when you have a repeat scan, that it will show “no evidence of disease (NED)” and then you will heave a sigh of relief and say, “It was worth all the discomfort”. 

Love Loretta

Peritoneal Carcinomatosis/Ovarian Cancer Stage IV

P.S.  So just in case you’re interested, here is one place where I found the curly bangs.

(And no I’m not in the business of selling wigs nor am I a stockholder!)

Along with the “curly” bangs, I also ordered another set of straight bangs, but unfortunately, they were no longer in stock.  And that’s understandable, since wigs are far more in demand.  If you should desire to order anything, you might want to call them at their toll-free number first and ask if they have it in stock, or if it has been discontinued.  I ordered another set of bangs that looked even thicker than the ones that I have.  They just sent me an e-mail saying that they had been discontinued, so to avoid that scenario, a call would be in order.  That’s what I will do from now on.

[This is the one I’ve ordered.  I’ve loved the straight bangs that I already have.

This is what my straight bangs look like.  I wear them under a turban all the time.  They’re comfortable and look natural.  And they’re easily washable as well.

• LorettaMarshall
    Options

Mary~Guess what~U R doing just fine~So far--so good! :)

Smile Good morning Mary,

For each of us, there will be similarities as well as differences.  Chemo is always a safe choice, unpleasant though it is. 

As for the “cold” foods, my oncologist had told me to eat or drink as many “cold” foods or drinks as possible.  Since chemo circulates throughout the whole body and can damage the gums, keeping something cold in your mouth is a preventative measure.  So you did well to consume “cold things”.

As for your port, the healing process is now finished.  I always felt more comfortable sleeping on my left side rather than on the right side where my port was located.  I seemed to feel more pressure in my neck area because of the port.  But I found that putting a small soft pillow between my shoulder and head allowed me to be more comfortable if I wanted to sleep on my right side.  It seemed to take pressure off that side.

As for snacks during the day of infusion, there are no restrictions.  At our oncology lab, volunteers come in each day around the noon hour and serve the patients lunch.  If a family member or friend accompanies the patient, they are served as well, and there are a variety of sandwiches to choose from plus chips, cookies and drinks.  That’s always a pleasant relief.

As for nausea, even though your “workup” included something for nausea, I never experienced nausea because during the entire period of time I was on chemo, I took my prescribed anti-nausea med- Granisetron (Kytril) faithfully each morning when I first awoke.  As a matter of fact, I took the pill to bed with me along with a bottle of water, and upon awaking each morning, I took it the first thing.  Often I would awaken just to use the bathroom, but when my eyes opened, that was when I took the pill long before I ate breakfast. 

As for eating, I included as much “high protein” food as I could during the day.  My husband would make me milkshakes with “BOOST” as the liquid and would put in a scoop of whey (30 grams per scoop) and he also put in a big spoon full of peanut butter.  I liked it to be as much the consistency as ice cream of possible.  I set a goal of at least 60 grams of protein a day.  Protein bars are good as a snack too.  I always ate scrambled eggs with a good amount of cheese in them for breakfast.  That served me well.

As for your Benadryl making you sleepy, it was a part of the IV prep that I had prior to the actual infusion of Carboplatin/Taxol.  For the first two series of chemo treatments, the Benadryl gave me “restless leg syndrome” that lasted for an hour.  This was the most uncomfortable part of the treatment.  I simply could not keep my feet and legs still.  But at the very first of the Benadryl, I would feel “woozy” and my speech became slurred, and the words ran past my thought process faster than I could get the words out.  My tongue was thick and I couldn’t pronounce my words.  While it put others to sleep, and they looked like they were just taking a nap, I was jittery and didn’t sleep.  So for this last series, my nurse, cut down the Benadryl by half as a prep, and it solved the jitters for me. 

As for sleep, it has never been a problem, and I haven’t needed anything for sleep.  As for food having a “metal taste” it is suggested that one eat with plastic utensils.  That might help.  Now the taste of food may change as in tasting “bitter”, that is normal.  I’ve discovered that chocolate has begun to taste too bitter, and I never had plans to remove chocolate from my diet.  And I will tell you that I “counted my last calorie” the day I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer.  But for some foods they loved before just will not continue to taste the same.  But after treatments are over, food preferences should return to normal.

And although you didn’t mention it, I have reminded “new chemo patients” of the importance of keeping one’s mouth moist at all times.  One should use the softest toothbrush often and message the gums when they brush their teeth.  And this time around, I purchased two big bottles of BIOTENE oral mouth rinse, and have used it several times during the day, preferably every 4 hours as per directions on the bottle.  Chemo dries out the mouth and can damage the gums, so mouth maintenance is very important.  I know I gave you multiple references in our first correspondence, but mouth maintenance is ever so important.  Mouth sores are horrible and eating will be a chore.  This is covered in my letter to “Brian” http://csn.cancer.org/node/301646.

So take note--stay out of the sun.  Your skin is going to be extremely sensitive. 

Fatigue is normal, so don’t push yourself to do what you do not feel like doing.  Chemo responses can be cumulative. Sometimes patients think, “Ahhhhh I feel great”, but wait a bit longer.  You’ll be the exception and not the rule if you “get by” without problems of some kind.  But that is to be expected. 

You’ve mentioned Taxol, so don’t be surprised if hair follicles are affected.  They usually are and that can take place from the second or third week along.  So just in case you have that experience, and don’t be surprised if you do, you might want to keep a sample swatch of hair so that you can match the color of your natural hair.  Now you’ll be blessed if it only becomes thinner, and doesn’t “turn loose”.  I’m now completely bald for the third time, but the good part is that I’m still here and my hair will come back, even though it grows ever so slowly.  So, if over time, you experience hair loss, count it as a positive.  While it’s removing hair on the outside of your body, it is taking away cancer on the inside, and that’s a trade-off worth having. 

Lastly, my oncologist set me up an appointment for the following day of each treatment.  My treatments were scheduled for once every 3 weeks, and the following day after my usual treatment, I returned for hydration, and a Neulasta injection (to enhance my white blood cell count) to build up my immune cells. 

So based on what you’ve shared with us, your first treatment has been quite normal.  Thanks for letting us know how your first treatment went.  For me, it was the most traumatic since I never knew what was going to happen.  Now the hair loss was a big “let down” for me, even though but I knew that it was a possibility. So by the third time around, I didn’t bother to go to the hairdresser, I just shaved it off myself with hair clippers, and my husband helped in places that were hard for me to reach.  To compensate, I purchased some false bangs from the Internet.  I just ordered another set of “curly bangs” because my others are straight.  They’re great to wear under a turban.  It makes me feel and look much better.  The girls in the lab never knew I didn’t have any hair until I told them.  Oh sure I’ve got wigs too, but the bangs and a turban are much more comfortable, so that’s what I wear for “every day” wear.  Now if I were going to some special function, then I would “dress up” more, and put on a wig, but for doctor’s visits and shopping, a turban fits the bill for me. 

So that’s all for now Mary.  Just thought I would compare notes and let you know that so far you’re “normal.”  Here’s hoping that when you have a repeat scan, that it will show “no evidence of disease (NED)” and then you will heave a sigh of relief and say, “It was worth all the discomfort”. 

Love Loretta

P.S.  So just in case you’re interested, here is one place where I found the curly bangs.

(And no I’m not in the business of selling wigs nor am I a stockholder!)

Along with the “curly” bangs, I also ordered another set of straight bangs, but unfortunately, they were no longer in stock.  And that’s understandable, since wigs are far more in demand.  If you should desire to order anything, you might want to call them at their toll-free number first and ask if they have it in stock, or if it has been discontinued.  I ordered another set of bangs that looked even thicker than the ones that I have.  They just sent me an e-mail saying that they had been discontinued, so to avoid that scenario, a call would be in order.  That’s what I will do from now on.

[This is the one I’ve ordered.  I’ve loved the straight bangs that I already have.

This is what my straight bangs look like.  I wear them under a turban all the time.  They’re comfortable and look natural.  And they’re easily washable as well.

Mary~Just a word about my picture that you see here

Mary ~ Forgot to mention that this picture was taken of my husband and me at a Christmas party this past Christmas 2016.  I started my latest series of chemo treatments of Carboplatin and Taxol on October 20, 2016.  By the end of week 2, "follicles began to flee!"  And like I said, I just played hairdresser, and cut it myself.  But in the picture I have on a red sequinned hat with a "halo hairpiece" underneath.  It is a circle of hair all around, with an open middle.  It's great underneath hats and turbans and isn't nearly as hot as a wig.  So just thought you might like to see what a hairpiece can look like. 

All the best to you,

Loretta

• MaryVig
    Options
    Today should be day 16 series 1

yesterday was supposed to be my third infusion of my first series. But my white blood count was under 800, so oncologist stopped the infusion. But I felt totally fine. I understand what this means is that I am at risk for infection until the count increases. I was crushed. In general I thought I was handling chemo well. I found that nasea only was setting in during the period of 24 to 36 hours after infusion With the exception of slight acid reflux feeling periodically. I am scheduled to have another blood draw Monday (in 6 days) and then meet with the oncologist the next day (before starting what was supposed to be series 2). i am crushed as I did not expect this since I was feeling so good...guess this weeks challenge is keeping my attitude positive.

• LorettaMarshall
    edited March 2017 #6
    Options
    MaryVig said:

Today should be day 16 series 1

yesterday was supposed to be my third infusion of my first series. But my white blood count was under 800, so oncologist stopped the infusion. But I felt totally fine. I understand what this means is that I am at risk for infection until the count increases. I was crushed. In general I thought I was handling chemo well. I found that nasea only was setting in during the period of 24 to 36 hours after infusion With the exception of slight acid reflux feeling periodically. I am scheduled to have another blood draw Monday (in 6 days) and then meet with the oncologist the next day (before starting what was supposed to be series 2). i am crushed as I did not expect this since I was feeling so good...guess this weeks challenge is keeping my attitude positive.

Mary~This too is normal~Cancer & chemo R battling it out!

Good morning Mary

This is not unusual for people having chemo to have the WBC count too low for a chemo session.  It's always a disappointment to have a session cancelled.  You really don't want to be there to begin with--then you muster the energy and go on in.  Then when you go to the lab to be tested, you find that your WBC is too low.  I've seen people come to the lab for their CBC only to find that they will not be able to undergo the treatment that day!  I never had this problem because my oncologist always ordered Hydration plus a Neulasta injection the day following my infusion appointment.  It obviously helped.  My WBC was never too low.  But I do know that it's frustrating to think that you're gonna' miss a session.  Once you start, you don't want to interrupt the cycle. 

(Incidentally, if you go to the chemocare.com site and key in the name of your drugs, you will see a certain time period listed when your WBC will be at its lowest ebb, and how many days for it to come back up.  If you're in that time frame, be careful about being in large crowds.  I carry hand cleanser in my purse and in the car.  I wipe off the handles of the grocery carts and door knobs that I have to touch.  One can never be too careful especially when we're on chemo. 

I've just finished my last cycle, which was the third series since my diagnosis.  It's been 6 weeks now, and with a magnifying glass I can actually see the starts of hair fuzz and a hint of eyebrow hair.  Carbo/Taxol always causes me to lose my hair.  I'm due for a follow-up CT scan this afternoon.  The worst part of that is drinking that contrast.  But such is life, at least I'm still around to drink it.  It's really easy to say--one day at a time--but in reality isn't that all we have?  So make the most of your day today.  What's done is done, and hopefully the count will be back up quickly.

We can remain unhappy about what we've lost, or we can be thankful for what we have left!  When I think of days gone by when good health was a given, I think of really how blessed I was to plan my own day instead of having someone else plan it for me.  But now, in order to sustain life, we have to do what we have to do.  And concentrating on the good the treatments are doing, instead of how miserable we may feel, will ultimately make you feel better. 

Mary—your white blood cells are in a battle w/cancer-they will revive and come back strong.  "The sun will come out tomorrow!"  And speaking of sunshine, Daylight savings time kicks in this weekend, so we’ll be able to enjoy more of it.  And then Spring is just around the corner on March 20th.  Brighter days are ahead!

Love Loretta

• MaryVig
    Options
    Understanding blood

yesterday when the infusion nurse told me that my WBC was too low, she characterized it as Neutropena. Today I spoke with the Dr office and it was actually my platelets that were too low. My WBC was low, but it was the platelets that disqualified me From the Day 15 taxol. They said this is my "rest week" and next I will start round 2 with carbo/taxol. Guess I'm going to be forced to learn this stuff (I am totally squimish of anything needle or blood related). I thought there might be something I could do to raise the levels.... different food, more exercise.....but nature must take its course/time. I'm just trying to not be depressed...as this was not expected particularly since I'm dont feel weak (I'm feeling pretty good).

Loretta thanks again for all your comments! you are so appreciated!

• MaryVig
    edited March 2017 #8
    Options
    MaryVig said:

Week 4

2 days ago I started round 2. My platelets did not rebound as much as hoped, but I was allowed to start round 2. Before I start each new round, I have an appointment to go over what is happening with my oncologist. The oncologist lowered my dosage from a 7 to a 6, hoping that my blood count would not tank again. So round 2 is the carbo/taxol day, followed next week with just taxol, and the week after just taxol before round 3 starts. My hair is about gone. Dr sez it's not unusual for my head to itch as much as it is. He suggested benadryl cream. The Dr also added a 4th round (since this is a preventative plan, we had only been talking about doing 3 rounds) For ovarian clear cell carcinoma.

Yesterday was day 2 and as expected in the afternoon I had some pretty intense nausea. Took comprasine at the onset, but it was not helping much so I took a new prescription I'm only to take on day 2 and 3 (Dexamethasone twice each day). Anyone else being prescribed this? This morning I'm feeling good. Yesterday I think part of the nausea occurred because I worked all day, and had client meetings out of the office that prevented/distracted me from getting regular food into the stomach...this seems for me an important thing to remember, and I forgot to get an early lunch....I think because the new med (Dexamethasone) it was not till 2am that I was able to fall asleep).

i am posting this thread as a reminder for myself and hope it helps someone else with seeing my experience.

Week 5 (round 2, day 9 in chemo lingua)

Today is day 9 of my second round of carbo/taxol dose dense. So its week 5 in my mind (my eye is on completing 12 weeks). Last week I got the carbo/taxol at a reduced strength (from a 7 to a 6) and my platelets and WBC bounced way back out of any danger this week. Yesterday was a taxol only infusion (day 8) and I think I have down the food and antinausea meds regime. I think I can now get through the remaining weeks (I say with both fingers crossed and a few toes). While last weeks post noted that I forgot to eat the day after infusion and paid a huge nausea price for 2 days. I had no energy or was a bit depressed that Friday and Saturday (I didn't get off the sofa all day Saturday). A friend got me out for breakfast and some photography collaboration on Sunday and that got me out of my funk. I was so relieved at this week's blood results. The hair is now gone, but I still have my eyebrows. I have always hated my hair, so it's not been too big an issue, but I have felt like I was a shedding cat, finding hair everywhere. Now I need to get some exercise as I feel 2 1/2 months of nothing but short walks is taking its toll. I hope these messages are helpful at understanding one persons journey with carbo/taxol dose dense chemo.

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options
    Miss Mary, you are getting

Miss Mary, you are getting there.  One step at a time.  Eating is important - as much as you may not feel like it.  I never believed that would be a problem for me, I like food, but chemo took away the interest.  Keep pushing yourself - you can do this.  Also, I see newbies comment on how they read old posts because they are full of information.  You may not know it right away but I have no doubt your posts are helping others.  It helps to get it out and those that have already walked these steps in the journey can let you know how they experienced similar things.

• MaryVig
    edited March 2017 #10
    Options
    Week 6 (round 2 completed)

Yesterday was the final infusion of round 2 (Taxol only in a dose dense carbo/taxol regime). My blood count was up at day 8, but was down at day 15.... but high enuf to allow chemo this time. So week 6 was completed.

This week I noticed the following: energy is ok; nausea controllable with steroids on days 9 and 10 (day after infusion and the day after that) and rantidine in the morning everyday; my scalp itches and has red dots which showed up on day 13 of round 2 (oncologist sez this will go away and us follicalitis); had an hour on day 14 when I had a bunch of floaters in my left eye; my lymphnodes in my neck seemed swollen days 12-13, and felt like I had the beginning of a sore throat... but no temperature. Oncologist didn't seem worried, but the chemo nurse was very concerned at the neck and floaters as no one else has made those comments. Today is day 16, and nausea usually has set in by now, but I've been very good at keeping good in stomach, so feeling good. I'm still waiting to hear back the genetic testing. No word yet.

during my Ct scan 8 weeks ago, nodules on my thyroid were found, and confirmed by ultrasound later. The Endrocronologist wants me to have a biopsy of 2 of the nodules but my blood counts are not allowing that to occur. More to come on that topic.

thanks NoTimeForCancer for your comments. I see this thread is being read and hope my experiences are helpful to others. I know it has helped me immensely to read everyone else's experiences. 

• LorettaMarshall
    Options
    MaryVig said:

Week 6 (round 2 completed)

Yesterday was the final infusion of round 2 (Taxol only in a dose dense carbo/taxol regime). My blood count was up at day 8, but was down at day 15.... but high enuf to allow chemo this time. So week 6 was completed.

This week I noticed the following: energy is ok; nausea controllable with steroids on days 9 and 10 (day after infusion and the day after that) and rantidine in the morning everyday; my scalp itches and has red dots which showed up on day 13 of round 2 (oncologist sez this will go away and us follicalitis); had an hour on day 14 when I had a bunch of floaters in my left eye; my lymphnodes in my neck seemed swollen days 12-13, and felt like I had the beginning of a sore throat... but no temperature. Oncologist didn't seem worried, but the chemo nurse was very concerned at the neck and floaters as no one else has made those comments. Today is day 16, and nausea usually has set in by now, but I've been very good at keeping good in stomach, so feeling good. I'm still waiting to hear back the genetic testing. No word yet.

during my Ct scan 8 weeks ago, nodules on my thyroid were found, and confirmed by ultrasound later. The Endrocronologist wants me to have a biopsy of 2 of the nodules but my blood counts are not allowing that to occur. More to come on that topic.

thanks NoTimeForCancer for your comments. I see this thread is being read and hope my experiences are helpful to others. I know it has helped me immensely to read everyone else's experiences. 

Mary~Granisetron works wonders 4 me~No nausea during treatments

Well Good morning Mary~

This is your “Taxol hairless buddy Loretta”

You know they say “the third time is the charm.”  Well that isn’t true for everything.  If it were, I would be “cancer free” now.  Now feeling like a “Carbo/Taxol” veteran, I thought I would share some of my experience with you relative to nausea meds.  I note that you are having a problem with that.  For the record, I have never had the first instance of nausea due to taking chemo.  I credit that to taking my “Granisetron” anti-nausea med every morning when I first woke up for the duration of my 6-treatment period.  I would take a bottle of water and the Granisetron pill and put it on a table beside my bed.  With the dawning of the morning, I took the pill.  I also had a prescription for prochlorperazine – Compazine for “break-through nausea”, but I never had to use that.  That was to be used in addition to the Granisetron if it didn’t do its job.  So this is my “unpaid” for commercial for Granisetron.

I did experience nausea for 2 days one time after I had a “Neupogen” injection, and worse than that, I had to go to the ER within 4 hours for a pain shot after my spine started jerking and extreme bones pain.  Neupogen & Neulasta for injections that build up the white blood cell count.  After that I told my doctor, “Don’t ever give me that again.”  And I switched to “Neulasta” and had no side effects from that.  But during those 2 days of nausea, I “got a taste” of what it must feel like for poor cancer patients who wrestle with nausea on a regular basis.

My chemo routine was a 6-treatment regimen with each dose 3 weeks apart.  After each treatment, I would return the following day for hydration, steroids & a Neulasta shot.  I never had to miss a treatment session due to low blood count.  I have just finished my last treatment on January 19, 2017 with good results.  Some lessening of fluid in the peritoneal space around my lungs and no new outbreaks of tumors elsewhere.  This is as good as it is going to get for me.  My prayer is for long periods of “progression free survival” (PFS). 

Thus far, I’ve had same Carbo/Taxol combo in 2013, 2015 & 2016 with targeted radiation in 2014.  And like I’ve said before, the 1st time hair loss was sorta’ devastating—2nd time not so much so—3rd time—no big deal!   

Thankfully, nausea has never been a problem.  There are 2 references below that detail the results of clinical studies for Granisetron (Kytril) and ondansetron (Zofran).  In both cases, one in a study for children with Leukemia, and the other study recently released, Granisetron has outperformed Zofran!  Have you thought of asking your oncologist to change your anti-nausea meds? 

Also, I’ve included a Chemocare.com reference relative to side effects of Taxol and Nausea.  Some may not have noticed the word NADIR, but this is the low point at which your immune system is susceptible to germs!  So I included an explanation about NADIR

Incidentally, my head is now covered with “white fuzz” and my “eyebrows” have returned.  My eyelashes are beginning to be visible.  Mary, your continuing comments are helpful and your positive attitude is encouraging.  Here’s hoping that your spirits will continue to be “high” and your CA-125 count “low” after you finish this “shall I say torture treatment?” 

Love Loretta

1.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22081189

“Ondansetron versus granisetron in the prevention of chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia…

Maximum episodes of vomiting were found on the second day in ondansetron group 33.3% and in granisetron group 3.3%..."

2.  http://www.mdedge.com/obgynnews/article/112000/gynecologic-cancer/extended-release-granisetron-superior-antiemetic

“CONFERENCE COVERAGE

Extended-release granisetron superior antiemetic for cisplatin chemotherapy

Publish date: August 27, 2016…

In the overall trial, extended-release granisetron significantly outperformed ondansetron... Heron Therapeutics, which is developing extended-release granisetron, is awaiting word from the Food and Drug Administration regarding the company’s application for marketing approval…”

3.  http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/Taxol.aspx

Taxol - Generic Name: Paclitaxel - Other Trade Name: Onxal TM

Drug Type: - What is Taxol? Taxol is an anti-cancer ("antineoplastic" or "cytotoxic") chemotherapy drug. Taxol is classified as a "plant alkaloid," a "taxane" and an "antimicrotubule agent."  (For more detail, see "How Taxol Works" section below)…

Side Effects: - Important things to remember about Taxol side effects include:

• Most people do not experience all of the Taxol side effects listed.
    • Taxol side effects are often predictable in terms of their onset and duration.
    • Taxol side effects are almost always reversible and will go away after treatment is complete.
    • There are many options to help minimize or prevent Taxol side effects.
    • There is no relationship between the presence or severity of Taxol side effects and the effectiveness of the medication.
    • The Taxol side effects and their severity vary depending on how much of the drug is given, and/or the schedule in which it is given.

The following Taxol side effects are common (occurring in greater than 30%) for patients taking Taxol:

• Low blood counts.  Your white and red blood cells and platelets may temporarily decrease.  This can put you at increased risk for infection, anemia and/or bleeding.
    • Hair loss
    • Arthralgias and myalgias, pain in the joints and muscles. Usually temporary occurring 2 to 3 days after Taxol, and resolve within a few days.  
    • Peripheral neuropathy (numbness and tingling of the hands and feet)
    • Nausea and vomiting (usually mild)
    • Diarrhea
    • Mouth sores
    • Hypersensitivity reaction - fever, facial flushing, chills, shortness of breath, or hives after Taxol is given.  The majority of these reactions occur within the first 10 minutes of an infusion.  Notify your healthcare provider immediately (premedication regimen has significantly decreased the incidence of this reaction). 

The following are less common side effects (occurring in 10-29%) for patients receiving Taxol:

• Swelling of the feet or ankles (edema).
    • Increases in blood tests measuring liver function.  These return to normal once treatment is discontinued. (see liver problems).
    • Low blood pressure (occurring during the first 3 hours of infusion).
    • Darkening of the skin where previous radiation treatment has been given (radiation recall - see skin reactions).
    • Nail changes (discoloration of nail beds - rare) (see skin reactions).

Nadir15-21 days..."

4.  http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/what-is-chemotherapy/what-is-nadir.aspx

“NADIR - WHAT IS NADIR?

When discussing chemotherapy side effects often you will hear the word nadir, mainly in reference to the blood counts, particularly white blood cell count and platelet count.  Nadir basically means low point, however further explanation may clarify this term in connection with chemotherapy treatment.

Nadir Affects Blood Cell and Platelet Counts

When chemotherapy is given it not only affects the rapidly dividing cancer cells but it also affects some of the normal cells of the body. 

These effects particularly occur on normal cells that divide rapidly such as, the hair, the lining of the mouth, the cells lining the intestinal tract and the blood cells (white and red blood cells as well as platelets). 

In the bone marrow, the spongy inner core of the larger bones in the body is where blood cells are made.  There are very immature cells called stem cells, from which the various types of blood cells develop.  These stem cells do not reproduce quickly and are less likely to be affected by chemotherapy. 

As cells are maturing there are certain phases in which they divide faster. It is during these times that the cells are most sensitive to chemotherapy.

The more mature cells can continue to become fully mature cells for several days after chemotherapy is given.  When these cells live out their life span, the circulating supply is depleted and the blood counts fall to a low point, the nadir.

Emerging from the Nadir and Returning to Normal

The blood counts will return to normal within three to four weeks, after the body's feedback system has told the stem cells in the bone marrow to increase production and begin making new cells. 

If chemotherapy is given at the time that the stem cells in the bone marrow are increasing their production this could cause permanent bone marrow damage.  The timing of chemotherapy cycles takes this process into account.  For example some chemotherapy drugs are given on day 1 and day 8 of a 28-day cycle. 

The second dose of chemotherapy, one week after the first, is tolerated because the stem cells have not yet increased their production (they are still at the nadir).  They have not increased their production because the second treatment is given before the count of the circulating blood has reached its nadir.

The nadir time is usually about 10 days after treatment, although this may vary depending on the drugs given. 

The concern during the nadir time is that the body's first line of defense against infection, white blood cells (WBC) and the platelets, which help to clot the blood, are low leaving a person more susceptible to infection and bleeding. 

The next dose of chemotherapy is given only after a person's blood counts have left the nadir and recovered to a safe level.

More Chemotherapy Information:

Chemotherapy Terms

Chemotherapy Protocols - How Chemotherapy Works

How Chemotherapy Is Given

How Doctors Decide Which Chemotherapy Drugs To Give

How Long Chemotherapy Is Given

How To Tell If Chemotherapy Is Working

Cancer Cells & Chemotherapy

Types of Chemotherapy

Targeted Therapy

The Immune System

About Immunotherapy

Hormone Therapy

Chemoprotective Agents

Chemotherapy Resistance

Short & Long Term Side Effects of Chemotherapy

Nadir

Cancer Clinical Trials..."

5.  http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/side-effects/nausea-vomiting-chemotherapy.aspx

Fluids: Drink fluids throughout the day like water and juices.  Many persons on chemotherapy need to drink at least two quarts of fluids per day.  Ask your doctor or nurse if this applies to you.  Also, if you are vomiting it is important to replace the fluids lost to avoid getting dehydrated.

• Avoid drinking liquids at meals. 

Eating hints: Eat small amounts of food throughout the day.   Eat before you get too hungry.  Eat dry foods such as dry cereal, toast, or crackers without liquids especially first thing in the morning. Avoid heavy, high fat and greasy meals right before chemotherapy. Do not eat your favorite foods during this time.  They will no longer be favorite foods if you begin to associate them with nausea and vomiting episodes.

Surroundings: Avoid strong odors.   Don't lay flat for at least two hours after eating.  Rest by sitting up or reclining with your head elevated.   Fresh air and loose clothing may be helpful after eating.  Exercising after eating may slow down digestion and increase discomfort

Drugs That May Be Prescribed by Your Doctor:

When suffering from nausea caused by chemotherapy treatments, your doctor may prescribe drugs such as Emend (aprepitant), Zofran (ondansetron), Kytril (granisetron), Anzemet (dolasetron), or Aloxi (palonosetron).

Your doctor may not prescribe any anti-nausea drugs because not all chemotherapy causes nausea and vomiting.  However, if the chemotherapy is likely to cause nausea and vomiting, your doctor may prescribe one or more of the following common anti-nausea medications: 

• aprepitant (Emend®)  --dolasetron (Anzemet®) -- granisetron (Kytril®) -- ondansetron (Zofran®) -- palonosetron (Aloxi®
    • prochlorperazine (Compazine®) -- promethazine (Anergan®),(Phenergan®) -- lorazepam (Ativan®)
    • metoclopramide (Reglan®) -- dexamethasone (Decadron®)  -- famotidine (Pepcid®) -- ranitidine (Zantac®)

These can be prescribed for you to take before, during, and/or after chemotherapy. As you can see there are many different medications that your doctor can prescribe to control these symptoms.  It may take trying a couple different medications before finding the right match for you…”

____________________________End of references_______________

• MaryVig
    Options
    Week 7 (no chemo - blood transfusion)

At the end of week 6 I started to feel very tired and then breathless. That Thursday and Friday (with chemo on Tuesdays), I did not get off the sofa. Saturday I met a friend for a couple of hours. Sunday I felt like I had been a slug for too long so I went for a walk on the beach (1 mile). Stopped at the hardware store, then worked in the yard (with a mask over my mouth/nose). I could only work for an hour before I was soooo out of breath, I had to go inside. Even going up stairs I couldn't catch my breath.

Monday I had my pre-chemo blood test and felt like my entire body was throbbing.  Tuesday I met with the oncologist. all of my blood count was bad (white and red was too low), meaning no start to Round 3. The oncologist office scheduled me for that day to have a blood transfusion. I was devastated again, as time is passing and now out of 7 infusions, I have not had 2. I was told I should feel better within 24-hours. It took 4 hours to be typed, wait for the blood, and then have 2 bags transfused. It was a very weird feeling to have someone else's blood. I get queasy with blood, so I couldn't look at the bags or lines. Every 15 minutes the nurses had to stop the infusion and check my vitals. I was so glad to get home and go to bed. Next day I felt somewhat better. I went for another walk on the beach, and worked two days and didn't feel breathless. By today (3 says after transfusion) I'm beginning to feel alittle breathless again But at least my body is not throbbing.

I go back in for a blood draw in 3 days, 1 day early so my oncologist can see if there is improvement. He will then decide what to do about my chemo. As Loertta sez, he may decide I only get chemo every 3 weeks, he may lower the dose (again), or change the chemistry. 

My now bald head continues to itch and have red spots. I've tried dandruff shampoo. Still itches, but a little less. Today tried coconut oil, as suggested by oncologist... still itches and seems worse. Anyone have other ideas that worked for them? 

One of the strange things about a blood transfusion - I was told when I was a teenager that my blood type is O negative. They had to type me before the transfusion and check for antibodies. Turns out I'm O positive.... I sure wish my parents were still alive as not sure how O- became O+.  Also, if you are doing chemo, the blood has to be iridated.... so you don't catch something. This process has taught me to appreciate those who donate their blood!

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options
    Mary, I am sure you were

Mary, I am sure you were devasted about hearing not only could you not start Round 3 and having to have a blood transfusion.  I had never heard about blood needing to be irradiated - that's interesting...and I agree with you re: those who donate blood.  When they have donations drives at work I always thank the people.  They say it is no big deal but I tell them - it is!!!  They know what I have been through, and even though I never needed a blood transfusion, they know I mean it having seen it from the other side. 

I remember my head itching like crazy as my hair was falling out.  It also hurt like when I used a curling iron years ago and would pull it too hard.  I would just gently press my hands on my head.  

I hope you rebound and you can get food down.  I was prescribed Dexamethason for nausea.  Trader Joe's makes little ginger cookies that have pieces of ginger in them.  I don't care for ginger but I did nibble on them.  If you can eat, try getting protein in as much as possible.  Yogurt, cheese, nuts, meat...I know it is easier said then done.

Please continue to tell us how it is going Mary.  Hugs dear one.

• MaryVig
    Options
    Week 8 - start of round 3

Despite good intentions, I have fallen off in keeping this running account of my experience. So I had a 2 bag transfusion at week 7 that helped get my blood numbers up, but I didn't feel all that much better. Week 8 my counts were not optimal but fortunately good enuf to start Round 3...so the combined Carbo/Taxol infusion. Because my counts were not optimal, the oncologist added a shot of Zarixo, 2 days after the infusion. I was worried about the shot, as it is a short acting version of Neulasta that many have commented about its bone pain side effects. Fortunately, no side effects after 4 days. My oncologist wants me to do this regime rather than 1 week/2 off, as he believes it's more in line with my OCCCC diagnosis.

Today is Monday (Pasquetta the day after Easter), so my last infusion (week 8/round 3 start) was 6 days ago. My taxol infusion week 9 is scheduled for tomorrow if my blood count is good enuf. I woke up in the middle of the night with a screaming sore throat, which for me is a sign of a duzy of a cold coming on. No fever. I am feeling weaker which for me means little energy. The cold is, i suspect, a sign that my immune system is worse. Fortunately between marijuana chews one night and benedryl the next, I'm getting good night sleeps again. I've also been pushing myself to walk more and more as I know I need the exercise. I am beginning to avoid being around people due to the immune system, which is tough when you live alone. if I stick to the 4 round program, I have 5 more infusions to go including tomorrow's infusion.

• MaryVig
    Options
    MaryVig said:

Understanding blood

yesterday when the infusion nurse told me that my WBC was too low, she characterized it as Neutropena. Today I spoke with the Dr office and it was actually my platelets that were too low. My WBC was low, but it was the platelets that disqualified me From the Day 15 taxol. They said this is my "rest week" and next I will start round 2 with carbo/taxol. Guess I'm going to be forced to learn this stuff (I am totally squimish of anything needle or blood related). I thought there might be something I could do to raise the levels.... different food, more exercise.....but nature must take its course/time. I'm just trying to not be depressed...as this was not expected particularly since I'm dont feel weak (I'm feeling pretty good).

Loretta thanks again for all your comments! you are so appreciated!

Week 4

2 days ago I started round 2. My platelets did not rebound as much as hoped, but I was allowed to start round 2. Before I start each new round, I have an appointment to go over what is happening with my oncologist. The oncologist lowered my dosage from a 7 to a 6, hoping that my blood count would not tank again. So round 2 is the carbo/taxol day, followed next week with just taxol, and the week after just taxol before round 3 starts. My hair is about gone. Dr sez it's not unusual for my head to itch as much as it is. He suggested benadryl cream. The Dr also added a 4th round (since this is a preventative plan, we had only been talking about doing 3 rounds) For ovarian clear cell carcinoma.

Yesterday was day 2 and as expected in the afternoon I had some pretty intense nausea. Took comprasine at the onset, but it was not helping much so I took a new prescription I'm only to take on day 2 and 3 (Dexamethasone twice each day). Anyone else being prescribed this? This morning I'm feeling good. Yesterday I think part of the nausea occurred because I worked all day, and had client meetings out of the office that prevented/distracted me from getting regular food into the stomach...this seems for me an important thing to remember, and I forgot to get an early lunch....I think because the new med (Dexamethasone) it was not till 2am that I was able to fall asleep).

i am posting this thread as a reminder for myself and hope it helps someone else with seeing my experience.

• NoTimeForCancer
    edited April 2017 #16
    Options
    MaryVig said:

Week 8 - start of round 3

Despite good intentions, I have fallen off in keeping this running account of my experience. So I had a 2 bag transfusion at week 7 that helped get my blood numbers up, but I didn't feel all that much better. Week 8 my counts were not optimal but fortunately good enuf to start Round 3...so the combined Carbo/Taxol infusion. Because my counts were not optimal, the oncologist added a shot of Zarixo, 2 days after the infusion. I was worried about the shot, as it is a short acting version of Neulasta that many have commented about its bone pain side effects. Fortunately, no side effects after 4 days. My oncologist wants me to do this regime rather than 1 week/2 off, as he believes it's more in line with my OCCCC diagnosis.

Today is Monday (Pasquetta the day after Easter), so my last infusion (week 8/round 3 start) was 6 days ago. My taxol infusion week 9 is scheduled for tomorrow if my blood count is good enuf. I woke up in the middle of the night with a screaming sore throat, which for me is a sign of a duzy of a cold coming on. No fever. I am feeling weaker which for me means little energy. The cold is, i suspect, a sign that my immune system is worse. Fortunately between marijuana chews one night and benedryl the next, I'm getting good night sleeps again. I've also been pushing myself to walk more and more as I know I need the exercise. I am beginning to avoid being around people due to the immune system, which is tough when you live alone. if I stick to the 4 round program, I have 5 more infusions to go including tomorrow's infusion.

Miss Mary, whenever you can

Miss Mary, whenever you can get here to post your treatment is FINE!  No one here is going to judge you - and you are helping others.  

I do hope you try to keep some food with you so you don't go so long without eating since you suffer from neausea as you have.  Funny how we all do come up with the magic regime of keeping us moving through the treatments and on our toes to see if we need to tweak it to keep us on track.

It is spring, so maybe your cold is really allergies???  In any event, do continue to be careful out shopping and things, and trying to eat to feed your body.

I continue to watch your posts and understand if you miss one.  Take care.

• MaryVig
    Options
    Week 9 started today - blood counts way improved Zarxio worked.

Today was Round 3, day 8 (taxol only), preceded by the typical blood count. Yeah.....Only one of my counts was out of the normal range largely due to the Injection (Zarxio) I had 6 days ago (2 days after my last infusion). Ever since I started chemo in February my immune system has been compromised and thus is the first time my numbers have been in the normal range. Only my HCT was low (33.2 and normal starts at 34, so it was close). Prior to the shot my neutrophils were 0.85 and today it was 3.2. My platelets were 61 last time and today were 289..... yes! I think I can now get through the infusions if this keeps up. When I had the shot 6 days ago, the chemo nurse said I should consider taking claratin on day of shot and 3 days after. The nondrowsy claratin made me so sleepy I couldn't keep my eyes open. So no claratin except day of first shot. No bone pain yet. I get my next shot in 2days and may try Claratin again.

during the beginning of a round, days 2 1/2-3 1/2 are the worst for nausea....so I am being very mindful to eat, and most importantly to eat 6-7 mini meals during this period...  but still require Comprasine, zolfran, Rantidine, and Dexa something steroids. On.... I have found that I have no issues with mouth sores if I gargle with regular Listerine when I brush my teeth.

thanks NoTimeForCancer for your encouragement, as it's very much appreciated.