Options
2»

Comments

• MarkD57
    MarkD57 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2017 #22
    Options
    Cologuard

Even with the false positives, this is a MUCH MUCH needed test.  About 1/2 of folks do not get a Colonoscopy as scheduled starting at age 50 and every 10 years.  This is a simple DNA test that could have saved (if available years ago) my father-in-law's life as he refused Colonoscopy until symptoms arose at age 64.  Yes, this test does have a 10-13% false positive rate, but it DOES send many people to colonoscopy where colon cancer or polyps with potential to cancer ARE discovered EARLY. Yes, the false-positives do cause anxiety, but at least you had a screening and most likely won't need another for 10 years. Remember, the best test is one that people will actually DO!!!

In closing the fecal blood test is not a good screening test because if the bleeding is from Colon Cancer, it is most likely stage 3 or 4.   Cologuard will find pre-cancerous polyps and stage 1 and 2.

• GadgetOne
    GadgetOne Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2017 #23
    Options
    Positive Cologuard

I posted once about my cologuard experiance.Positve test and showing no symptoms. That was 7 days ago. Since i have been so freaked out i'm having a hard time doing anything. Did a meet and great with the people that are going to do my colonoscopy and i have to wait until the 20th, another 12 days. Problem is before the positive i was going to the bathroom fine and it looked fine but since i was so stressed out i've been constipated and now my last two were thin and long,(not pencil like) and went from light brown to dark brown. Now i'm really freaking out even though i have no other symptoms. How fast can a cancerous polyp grow? Do i call back the doc and tell them about any stool changes? Really worried here. Lots of stomach gurggling bet still hungry and eating good.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    GadgetOne said:

Positive Cologuard

I posted once about my cologuard experiance.Positve test and showing no symptoms. That was 7 days ago. Since i have been so freaked out i'm having a hard time doing anything. Did a meet and great with the people that are going to do my colonoscopy and i have to wait until the 20th, another 12 days. Problem is before the positive i was going to the bathroom fine and it looked fine but since i was so stressed out i've been constipated and now my last two were thin and long,(not pencil like) and went from light brown to dark brown. Now i'm really freaking out even though i have no other symptoms. How fast can a cancerous polyp grow? Do i call back the doc and tell them about any stool changes? Really worried here. Lots of stomach gurggling bet still hungry and eating good.

12 days or 12 weeks?

OK, 12 days, but you know its going to feel like 12 weeks. 

You will be fine! Polyps grow at different rates, but I think 12 days won't make much of a difference to what they are now.  And polyps are not always cancerous, and may just need to be removed to keep things clear. 

We can tell you not to stress, but you will regardless. But we can give you hints that have helped us REDUCE the stress; because you are right, it will play around and cause havoc with your system, not just your bowels; so reducing stress will be beneficial to you. 

For me, I use special music. When I was at my worst - when Chemo started - I found a guided imagery CD. I would play it as I lay in bed, and (FOR ME) it was miraculous. I now use Zen music (I have a favourite composer) to sleep, and to meditate. 

Now, that works for me. You have to find what works for you. It could be walking, swimming, eating, animals...... 

That is my suggestion. As I say, others have different methods and you can find what works for you. 

Good luck. Here's hoping the 20th will zoom around and you can get it all over with and find out that you just have pesky polyps and NO Cancer. Until then, we're here to help.

Tru