Managing Drains

Info17
Info17 Member Posts: 1

I was dx this month with invasive lobular BCA. Will have double masectomy in March with reconstrution and saline implants to start, silicone 6 weeks later. Would appreciate thoughts on how to best manage drains after surgery. Buying special drain-holding clothing to use only a couple of weeks seems silly to me, but if they make it lots easier I will. What do I wear to Dr visits those first weeks? What about bras? I'm large - 38 H. Any special advice around any of these issues? Thanks.

Comments

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Wear clothing for as long as

Wear clothing for as long as required that buttons up the front.  The drain clothing sounds good.  Most when I had these procedures did put the drains in pockets or pin them on your clothing so they don't pull at the entry point Which makes you sore.  They may clog, ask your cancer nurse to show you how unclog them, not a big deal.  When I was finally able to bathe I wrapped them round my neck so not to get wet from bath water.  Get someone to wash your hair, it makes you feel better.  PJs were great in the beginning.  No housework, ironing, stretching, lifting for as long as advised.  Let everything heal, please take the pain meds, it is different for everyone but had to take mine, plus a few weeks longer than advised, then needed no more, it's only temporary.  I never wore bras again.  I went from 38 DDD to 36 DDD you can't wear them in the beginning while healing.  Later I found bras not required as you are quite firm and pert even the most comfortable ones made me hot and uncomfortable as chemo brought on 'the menopause' full blast.  Natural fibers best cotton or linen clothing.  Sports bras or the ones that fit where they touch are best because your breasts won't be exactly the same and more rounded at the nipple.  I only wear one at the gym.  Appointments afterwards I just whipped my top up for inspection.  They don't care.  I wish you well.  I had the same cancer as you and feel very happy I had the procedure done.

• teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    edited February 2017 #3
    Drains

i had drains on 3 different surgeries I just safety pinned them to my shirts the big safety pins work good button down shirts and loose shirts  are good ! When I had my reconstruction  I had the lattismus dorsi done I came home from surgery with 7 drains a friend of mine can sew she made me fleece pouches for them they were nice It helped and she used cute patterns I just pinned the pouches to my shirts ! I did not wear bras after my mastectomys but I had nothing there I had reconstruction a few years later just my opinion but I don't see amy reason to buy special drain holder clothes I think you will do good best of luck to you 

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    NO advice, just sending hugs

NO advice, just sending hugs and pixie dust.

Densie

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Lightweight cloth bags

I was fortunate that our local senior center donated small cloth bags they made especially for BC surgical patients. My drains were in less than 10 days, so I did not see the value in purchasing special clothing.  I also used a lightweight "granny style" vest that had 2 big pockets.  I wore this under my very loose button down shirts.

depending on your reconstruction choice, your plastic surgeon will be able to help you with the decision as to when to return to any type of bra.

• Lisa-Nana to 5
    Lisa-Nana to 5 Member Posts: 16
    Post mastectomy camisole.

My cancer center has a little shop that sells cancer related items. They gave me (well charged to my insurance) two zip front camisoles that have little drain holders with Velcro that attaches to the inside below the chest area. They are awesome. I'm just over two weeks out from my REPEAT mastectomy after reconstruction and recurrence. Last time I had immediate expander placement but now I'm flat! Totally different experience. :-(

• Drain Management

Ladies,

First, ask your doc what you can and cannot wear post-op. They all have specific protocols. The post-op camisole, covered by insurance and Medicare is your best option for drain management. They are comfy, cozy and functional and come with fiber filled poofs to give you some shape. And TOTALLY worth the money. They are relatively inexpensive if you do not have insurance and much less expensive than other garments I have seen. You can take the pouches that are used with the cami and also attach them to some post-op bras, using the velcro. But once again make sure your doc approves all of this. JP drains have loops on them so an old belt to slip through them for showering is the perfect answer...once your doc says you can shower. 

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    cancer center

Also, the American Cancer Society in your area can and will help you with cost of anything related to cancer care.  Don't be shy.  Just ask.

Hugs,

Annie