Thank you all who came before me

Options
Tushygirl
Tushygirl Member Posts: 28 Member

i have been reading this forum since my first diagnoses on Dec. 1st.  I really appreciate everyone who asked questions and provided answers.  The information was invaluable to me.  It gave me confidence to fire my first medical oncologist when he kept saying he didn't know what I had.  

My journey has been bumpy.  It started out with a colonoscopy with two polyps that were thought to be benign.  The stomach on was. The flat one right between anus and rectum had cancerous cell but because it was taken out in pieces, the couldn't say it was definitely intrusive.  Said cancer go see colon-rectal surgeon and oncologist.  Off I trotted.  Got medical oncologist appointment first.  Onc. said lab doesn't say I definitely have cancer.  Go see surgeon.  Surgeon said lab doesn't say have cancer but will take a look and get rid on anal warts.  Didn't think it would come up Cancer.   Had surgery and surgeon did deep biopsy on one wart that looks suspiciou.  I hope I never have that surgery again.  Ugh!  Lab came back cancerous cells but no clear margins on sample so can't say if it is intrusive.  Surgeon says needs to be treated as intuitive cancer.  Back to oncologist who once again says he doesn't know if it is really cancer.  Talked him is to giving me a CT scan.  He did set up an appointment with radiology onc. just to get me to shut up.  CT scan can back normal, radiology onc. says needed to be treated and sets up endoanal coil MRI.  Onc. says he doesn't know what I had.  I fired him and got a new one.  MRI came back that it is intrusive And I am scheduled to start treatment on Feb 23.

All of you gave me in knowledge of what SHOULD be happening and the courage to keep pressing for it.  So a big thank you to all of you.  

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Dustyone

Welcome here, but I am so sorry that you have a diagnosis of anal cancer.  I hope it is in very early stage, which has a high rate of being successfully treated with chemo/radiation.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of doctors who are not that familiar with anal cancer and many of the people in this group began their journies in a similar way as you, including me.  My internist told me I had a hemorrhoid.  What saved me was being a few years overdue for my first screening colonoscopy at age 50, for which she referred me to a colorectal surgeon who could perform the colonoscopy and "take care" of the hemorrhoid.  The CR surgeon listened to me explain my symptoms and immediately performed an exam in her office and told me she was 99% sure I had anal cancer.  This was back in 2008 and I am still here and doing well, despite some leftover side effects from treatment.  I hope that gives you some encouragement and hope that you will receive successful treatment.

I urge you to register on the site for the National Comprehensive Cancer Network at   https://www.nccn.org/default.aspx

That site will allow you to access the latest treatment guidelines for anal cancer and lots of other good information about diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up.  Educate yourself about the treatment that lies ahead for you so that you can ask informed questions of your doctors.  Also, please check out the site for The HPV and Anal Cancer Foundation at http://www.analcancerfoundation.org/  

I'm glad you have found us here--the people are great at giving support and sharing information.  If you have questions, please ask.  If you need virtual hugs, we are here for you.  Treatment is not easy, but we've all gotten through it and you will too.  Please let us know how things go for you.  I wish you all the best.

Martha