Calendula?

Options
AmyD1310
AmyD1310 Member Posts: 59

I bet I am driving everyone bonkers with all my inquiries, but I have another! I've entered week 4 of treatment (halfway to the finish line!), and my rear end is beginning to feel raw and sometimes itchy. My mother-in-law gave me a tube of Calendula cream. It is homeopathic and supposedly used for treatment of sunburn, skin irritation, etc. I want to try it, but the active ingredient states "Calendula Officinalia/1X HPUS -10%". I asked my doctor about it and he kind of just gave me a shrug, like, use it if you want I guess? When I look up the active ingredient, it just basically means that it is included in the Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States. l have done searches such as "calendula and radiation" and the sites seem to support that calendula can be used to soothe skin irritation/inflammation from radiation burns. Has anyone tried this? I don't see the harm in it, but thought maybe someone else has tried it and could recommend it or advise against it. One way or another. Thanks again to whomever reads this. I hope you're all well and happy!

-Amy

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Amy

In the 8+ years I've been communicating with anal cancer patients/survivors, I've heard Calendula mentioned frequently as being helpful.  I think the main thing to remember is to have it completely removed from your skin prior to getting a radiation treatment, then you can reapply afterwards.  Having something on your skin during treatment may increase the burning effect.  Others have used Aloe, Silver Sulfadiazine (prescription), and Domeboro packs with good results.  Since you have informed your doctor of your intention and he voiced no concerns, it's probably okay to try it.  I hope it works! 

• tanda
    tanda Member Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Amy

You are definitely NOT driving anyone crazy!  This site and blogforacure.org are wonderful. Most of us have learned alot, especially about self/ home care from each other on these sites.    When I was in treatment, it was mainly the nurses that handled skin care and other problems (appetite, fatigue,etc)  I mostly used Aquaphor  and, in the last weeks I was given Aquaphor with Lidocaine, also Domeboro soaks.  I sat in a sitz bath several  times a day and also lay in the bathtub with warm running water.  When the rear area became very painful I took some Advil ; I was also given Oxycodone.

With all due respect to Drs, I think it is the nurses that are most knowledgeable about what is helpful for skin care, mouth sores, and other treatment side effects.

Where are you from and where are you being treated?  It sounds as if you are doing quite well at this stage and you are probably more than halfway through(radiation is usually 5-6 weeks)  Hang in there and KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS to us, the Drs, the nurses,etc!!!.

• Dodiefae
    Dodiefae Member Posts: 41 Member
    edited February 2017 #4
    Options
    Amy

I am in Chester County PA and only in week 2 of treatment so reading your posts helps to prepare me for what is to come. You're a stronger person than I- I would never have the energy to deal with 3 children and this. I am 61.   Today is the first day my mouth has been killing me where it hurts to talk and drink anything cold.

but reading this board is great - I have bought the Biotene and am gargling with salt & baking soda. 

I had breast cancer 12 years ago - there's so much more on the Internet as resources for people going through that than what we are facing. 

-Dodie 

• AmyD1310
    AmyD1310 Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2017 #5
    Options
    Tanda

Thank you for the encouragement! I am from Delaware County, PA (very close to Philadelphia), and I'm being treated at Lankenau Medical Center. I got a second opinion from Penn Medicine (University of Pennsulvania Hospital), but the treatment was going to be the same either way. I got several positive referrals for my current oncologist and radiologist, including a referral from my Ob/Gyn whose wife recently beat rectal cancer with the help of my team! I feel very lucky to have found this board. I'd be a wreck without the help and advice from all of the survivors here. As far as treatment is going, I feel very blessed  that my only current side effect/s include radiation burns, occasional fatigue (but not too bad), and low white cell count. 16 more radiation sessions and 1 more round of chemo to go. I can do this! Hugs to all!

-Amy

• don09
    don09 Member Posts: 108
    edited February 2017 #6
    Options
    Calendula cream

Hi, I went through 6 weeks of radiation and was given Calendula cream and used it through the entire treatments, It worked great! towards my finish line my skin and privates were for no better word fried, but I continued using it at least 4 times per day, the skin never broke open as it sometimes does, I highly reccommend it.  It sure saved me from having to delay my radiation because of skin burns.  Hope this helps and stay well.

• Mtrichards
    Mtrichards Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2017 #7
    Options
    ask the nurse

there are more ointments/creams that would probably serve you better- thicker.  They have it at the hospital and it helps w the burns and then as it burns, there is a thicker cream that you use to create a barrier.  hang in there- it's a tough road ahead and ask for help!! from everyone in your life- you will need it.  sitz baths are the best too.