Liver resection ct scan results

Options
Ruthmomto4
Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member

Hi everyone 

my husband had his liver resected in 2014 and he is still showing fluid at the resection margin. His tumor marker has fluctuated from 2.4 to now 6.2 last year it went down from 5.8 to 4.2. I understand he is still high and above the normal here. His pet scan was clear last year the only increased uptake was at the resection margin, our insurance refused a pet scan this year. The ct scan said the fluid collection remains at the resection margin and likely has internal hemorrage and calcification in this setting it is difficult to exclude and recurrent disease along the liver margin.

it went on to say there was no other evidence of disease and no definite recurrent disease. His dr said it was nothing to worry about since it has not changed at all but I can't help but worry. His surgeon said the fluid would go away does anyone else still have fluid after a resection? Am I just worrying too much to me this isn't a clear scan.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Hello Ruth

I don't know what to tell you.  It doesn't sound normal to me, and I have not heard of leakage from a wound so long after surgery. But, it seems that your husband's Doctor is not overly concerned. 

If you find that you cannot abate you worry, maybe your husband can see another Doctor for a second opinon. Or maybe go back to (if you haven't already) the surgeon who performed the surgery.

Others here may have a better answer. We run real slow at the moment, so hang tight. 

TRU

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    edited February 2017 #3
    Options
    Trubrit said:

Hello Ruth

I don't know what to tell you.  It doesn't sound normal to me, and I have not heard of leakage from a wound so long after surgery. But, it seems that your husband's Doctor is not overly concerned. 

If you find that you cannot abate you worry, maybe your husband can see another Doctor for a second opinon. Or maybe go back to (if you haven't already) the surgeon who performed the surgery.

Others here may have a better answer. We run real slow at the moment, so hang tight. 

TRU

Thank you!

I maybe wasn't too clear, it isn't still leaking, it never re-absorbed all of what did leak. I guess fluid at the resection site is normal but it normally goes away. In my husbands case it never went away completely. It did get smaller, it just seems to be this amount now permanently.