Explaining cancer to young kids.

I have a recurrence of breast cancer diagnosed in August of last year. I was fortunately able to avoid chemo but am about to have surger, not sure how extensive yet. I may lose my entire reconstructed breast. My grandkids range in age from 1-6 and I see them regularly, some daily. How did y'all explain your cancer to the littles? Any book suggestions? 

Comments

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    very tenderly but positive ...

My grands are 4, 4, 1, and 7.  We sat down and told them that Nana was sick and somedays would be harder than others  That sometimes I would not be able to be there with them.  We assured them they could not catch it from me and they would not lose their hair like Nana.  We all got hats that looked alike and took a picture.  On the days I had the high dose, I would stay away from them for at least 4 days so as not to contaminate them.  Doc said that was best.  High dose it over, new targeted has begun.  Hair is growing back.  Still have fatigue and muscle and bone pain, but I am able to see the grands and keep a brave face.  When they visit or I visit we keep it about them. 

• Lisa-Nana to 5
    Lisa-Nana to 5 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks Apaugh.

Thanks for the reply. My daughter  and her 3 kids are currently staying with us while her husband finishes up his days in the Marines in Missouri. (About another month)  I see them every day and I think that is what has kept me strong. I just can't break down and cry and upset them. So... I cry in private and keep a happy face on in front of them. Luckily, I'm not having to do chemo, at least not right now. Low oncotype score so  doing hormonal therapy for the time being. Surgery is coming soon so that is my concern, but I guess we'll just have that "Talk" with them soon. 

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    My grandkids lived with me

My grandkids lived with me during my cancer-one was an infant and the other about 3-4.  I do recall anything explaintion to them, other then (lumpectomy) be careful I am sore.

I am sure others will have some suggestions.

Denise

• Ace44
    Ace44 Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2017 #5

Thanks Apaugh.

Thanks for the reply. My daughter  and her 3 kids are currently staying with us while her husband finishes up his days in the Marines in Missouri. (About another month)  I see them every day and I think that is what has kept me strong. I just can't break down and cry and upset them. So... I cry in private and keep a happy face on in front of them. Luckily, I'm not having to do chemo, at least not right now. Low oncotype score so  doing hormonal therapy for the time being. Surgery is coming soon so that is my concern, but I guess we'll just have that "Talk" with them soon. 

My daughter was 5 when I was

My daughter was 5 when I was diagnosed and we just kept it very simple. (I did not have chemo or radiation just a double mastectomy.) We told her that there was something in my breasts that had to be taken out or I could get very sick and that I would be having a surgery. Then we just let her ask us questions and answered them as they came up. She is now almost 7 and over the last year she has asked questions about it if she hears that someone else has cancer. I think she was young enough not to over analyze it but old enough to know that it wasn't something that needed just a bandaid. Good luck with your surgery.