Scans after treatment

Options

I'm 42 and just started Tamoxifin a month ago, i'm terrified of the side affects considering it could lead to other cancers.  My oncologist told me that for breast cancer there are no "scans" done anymore.  He would just see me 2x a year and thats it.  I'm a bit concerned about this and want to know what you all think?  I have had a doube mascetomy and I currently have expanders, so I still have a long road to go from the reconstruction side.  However, I want to know what other scans/follow up visits you have had post treatment!  My nerves are shot! In addition my WBC and Neut are still low.  How long could it take for a body to bounce back from chemo! 

Comments

• peony
    peony Member Posts: 306 Member
    edited January 2017 #2
    Options
    I only had a lumpectomy (only

I only had a lumpectomy (only!) in Aug 2015 and I've had a mammogram and that's it. I see my medical onc 2x per year and radiation onc 2x per year. As for chemo recovery, it depends-  everyone is different. It will be a year for me on Feb 18 and in some ways I've made longer strides than others.  By the time I finished the chemo and radiation, I was a bundle of anxious, jittering nerves. As time passed, I got a little stronger and got more of the chemo out of my system and out of my head and I was better.  Not 100%, but better.  I hear 1 year is the average recovery time from chemo, but I figure it takes as long as it takes.  Just keep moving forward.  Best wishes.

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    My onco did blood work every 3 months

He did a pet and bonescans once a year.  This continued for 6 years.  Then it was 2x any ar for 18 months. Had a recurrence and it all changed, I am stage 4 but he did do scans.  My sister had bc a little over a year ago, her onco was not doing any scans.  She is now seeing one who specializes in bc and she is going to do scans once

anyear for the first 5 years as there are 4 or 5 (one is very private about his dx'd until

he is back in the hospital) siblings including me with stage iv.

If u are not comfortable, get a second opinion.  I have used 3 oncos since stage iv dx.

wish you the best,

Carol

• Kats2
    Kats2 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Scans before/after treatments....

Hi Mariapel 74,

Did you have any scans before your double mastectomies to see what the state of your whole body was? I didn't and am sorry that I ended up with an Oncologit who didn't do this, nor did he do any scans after my lumpectomy which showed that I had one sentinel node  out of seven that had cancer in it. He never did tumor markers on me which checks the level of cancer proteins in your blood. I was put on Arimidex. Was on it for 1 1/2 years when all of a sudden I had rib and back pain. I couldn't reach this Onc and ended up seeing my Primary doctor who sent me for x-rays and a CT scan. Lo and behold, I had bone mets!

Needless to say this Oncologist is history! I now have a great Oncologist who sees me every month and monitors my tumor markers and sends me for a CT scan + x-rays once a year so far. He was shocked that I hadn't even had one blood test nor a chest x-ray when I was first diagnosed with breast cancer.

I get upset when I think of my first doctor's negligence. I'd definitely get a second opinion from an independent doctor, someone at another hospital or Cancer Center who is NOT connected in any way to your present doctor. Your insurance company even recommends it, and your present Oncologist should welcome it. Mine did. If he makes a fuss, that's a red flag, for sure.

Don't take chances with your life. If you don't feel comfortable with this doctor, it's time to find one who takes your situation seriously and has your best interests in mind.

I left a breast center that supposedly was great and ended up in a small Cancer Center near me where "everyone knows my name." I'm not a number like I was at the "big" center.

Give this some thought. Get that 2nd opinion.    Best wishes,    Kats2

• SLS100
    SLS100 Member Posts: 37
    Options
    CT scan and radiation

I had a lumpectomy a month ago and am getting ready for radiation.  I think I am supposed to have a CT scan later this week.  The good advice above reminds me to ask how many other CT scans I wil be having. Definitely get that second opinion. I am on medi-cal (here in California) and do trust my onc and the surgeon even though I am not technically paying for the treatments.

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    No planned scans after treatment

I had a partial and 25 rounds of rads that ended in July.  Post treatment I only had a mammogram and Dexascan (baseline when beginning AI).  Both surgeon and onco keep telling me there is no need for other testing other than annual mammogram.  PCP is supposed to do annual bloodwork - nothing pre-cancer dx ever showed up in a blood test, why would it now?  Surgeon is repeating an ultrasound after 6 months almost at my insisting.  I have a lot of scar tissue after rad and fear there may be cells encased.  After my neoadjuvant chemo I was told there was no cancer left, but when she got in for surgery there were still rogue cells present and they ended up taking more than expected.  Radiation was supposed to attack anything that may have been left, but do we ever really know?

Be your own advocate. . . Listen carefully to the stories of others in support group or on this board.  While none of those are YOUR story, you will find that there are similarities enough to mention to your team should you feel the need to.

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    edited February 2017 #7
    Options
    Scans

I wouldn't worry too much about the blood, it takes time, but I'm wondering about scans. I got CT scans every 6 months for first three years, and now once a year. But perhaps my cancer was more progressed than yours as I had tumors in the lymph nodes? About tamoxifen, the worry is possible uterine cancer, so I get an ultrasound every 6 months to check the uterine thickness. It isn't supposed to go past a certain thickness as abnormal cells could result. It helps me not worry to see it stay in a normal range. I am completely used to the drug now. Really the only annoying thing was the hot flashes that lasted about 6 months. So I really don't think it's something that should cause you undue stress! Instead of worrying, I put all my effort into cooking healthy and exercise. It keeps you busy lol! Best of luck in your recovery....

• M12Lewis
    M12Lewis Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Scans

I had a left radical mastectomy in December, 2016.  The onco that will begin my chemo prescribed two scans.  1) a Muga Scan checks to ensure the heart is strong enough to withstand chemo.  2) a full body Pet Scan will locate any other cancer from top of head to the knees.  This will let the doc know how much chemo is required and/or if radiation is necessary.  The same questions you're asking here should be directed to your primary and your oncologist.  No question should be left unasked or unanswered.  This is your body, your life.  Make them earn those big bucks!!!  : )

• AnRom
    AnRom Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2017 #9
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed in July

Hi, I was diagnosed in July 2016, had double mastectomy right away-radical on the left side and regular on the right- with 19 lymphnodes removed. So far, I've had 2 full body PET-Scans done, one right after the surgery in July to determine the stage and one in January right after i finished the chemo treatments. During 7 months of chemo i also had 2 ECOs and one CAT Scan . I am about to start the radiation treatments and have no idea what to expect. Insist on the scanning, go for the second opinion if you don;t feel you were treated fairly.

As to the blood counts. Mine were so low through the whole chemo treatments. My doc said as long as I am healthy, it is nothing to be worried about. Limit the exposure to the crowds and infections, eat healthy diet and your body will take care of itself. I am drinking freshly made vegetable juice every day and adopted a detox diet to flash out the toxins. So far it's working for me.

Good luck!