another anniversary

ron50
ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member

Another year has passed. Dxed stage 3c into 6 nodes . My tumour was removed on the 22nd of Jan 1998. So ends year 19 of survival start year 20 still cancer free. Good luctk and best wishes to all for a healthy future . Ron.

Comments

• wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member
    edited January 2017 #2
    Anniversary Wish

I'm so happy to hear your good news, Ron. I know you suffer greatly from all the side effects. My wish for you is to be pain free and celebrate many more anniversaries.

Luv, my friend.

Wolfen

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Glad to hear your hanging in

Glad to hear your hanging in there Ron, I hope the aches and pains go easy on you. This blog needs you to represent the hope of long-term survival. It allows us to say we know a guy who survived late stage colorectal cancer for 20 years ongoing. That's a big thing for those that think their life is over after diagnosis. I know it's not easy, but I/we are glad your there....................................Dave

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Always glad to hear good news

Dear Ron,

Thank you for being here for all of us and for those yet to come. 

May the next year give you better health and happiness.

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties

• Colonchick
    Colonchick Member Posts: 36 Member
    Congrats! 

Congrats! 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited January 2017 #6
    Woo hoo!

I know it has come at a huge physical and emotional cost, but we're happy you're still around. 

TRU

• traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
    edited January 2017 #7
    Congratulations!

Best wishes Ron for improved health in the coming year.  Traci

• marbleotis
    marbleotis Member Posts: 720 Member
    edited January 2017 #8
    So Fantastic

Ron,

I love reading your posts - 19 years is just amazing!

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Hooray Ron!!! I know life isn

Hooray Ron!!! I know life isn't so easy for you with the side effects of your treatments but I'm still thrilled for you that you're still around to tell about it. Good for you! And thanks for the message of hope!

Hugs,

Jan

• ron50
          Actually I have an

Actually I have an update on my health. Five years ago my kidney problems reached a high point with my protein loss reaching nearly 8 grams a day. That put me borderline between stage 2 and 3 kidney failure. I have auto immune nephrotic syndrome of the kidneys. Three kidney biopsies have shed no light on it's cause.The baseline for protein urea (protein loss thru the urine) is .150 g a day. I was put on cyclosporine which is a powerful immuno suppressant normally used to stop rejection in transplant patients. It has stabalised my protein loss at just over a gram a day. I saw my nephrologist last wednesday. My protein is now normal. I appear to be in full remission from nephrotic syndrome. I asked how that was possible . My neph said that it was rare but sometimes the dampening action of cyclosporine allows the immune system to reset. He will see me again in a month to check the results again and if they are the same he intends to taper me off the cyclosporine under close monitoring. It appears I may be NED x 2. Ron.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Ron that's awesome!!! I'm SO

Ron that's awesome!!! I'm SO happy for you!!!

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    ron50 said:

Actually I have an

Actually I have an update on my health. Five years ago my kidney problems reached a high point with my protein loss reaching nearly 8 grams a day. That put me borderline between stage 2 and 3 kidney failure. I have auto immune nephrotic syndrome of the kidneys. Three kidney biopsies have shed no light on it's cause.The baseline for protein urea (protein loss thru the urine) is .150 g a day. I was put on cyclosporine which is a powerful immuno suppressant normally used to stop rejection in transplant patients. It has stabalised my protein loss at just over a gram a day. I saw my nephrologist last wednesday. My protein is now normal. I appear to be in full remission from nephrotic syndrome. I asked how that was possible . My neph said that it was rare but sometimes the dampening action of cyclosporine allows the immune system to reset. He will see me again in a month to check the results again and if they are the same he intends to taper me off the cyclosporine under close monitoring. It appears I may be NED x 2. Ron.

Wow! Double great news :-)

So glad to hear that you're NED x 2. I hope the good news continues for you for a long time.

Grace (lizard44)

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    ron50 said:

Actually I have an

Super duper news, Ron

May it continue for many years. 

TRU

• Colonchick
    Colonchick Member Posts: 36 Member
    Congrats again!!!

Congrats again!!!

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    You rock

You have gone through so much, love seeing you kickin' butt still

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 784 Member
    Congratulations Ron! You have

Congratulations Ron! You have been through so much I'm happy to hear this.

• GSP2
    GSP2 Member Posts: 103 Member
    ron50 said:

Actually I have an

Great news !

The swelling in your legs must be improving ?  do you feel a lot lighter ?

Steve

• ron50
    edited February 2017 #18
    GSP2 said:

Great news !

The swelling in your legs must be improving ?  do you feel a lot lighter ?

Steve

Hi Steeve

Unfortunately I am still juggling oedeema problems. The middle of last year the cyclosporine was holding my protein loss at around 1.5 grams. From out of nowhere my legs started to swell and I had trouble breathing from fluid half filling my lungs. My neph confirmed that it was not the nephrotic syndrome causing the problem. He did ultrasounds of my liver ,heart , pancreas, kidneys and bladder. Although there was nothing conclusive he believes that I am suffering congestive heart failure possibly another long term gift of 5Fu. I have to keep a close check on my weight and if I gain a couple of kilos in a few days I have to restrict my fluid intake to a litre a day and double my diuretics. Unfortunately we have had over a year of hot dry weather on the mid east coast of Australia. When he gave me my results a couple of weeks back he did say that some of my kidney functions were not too good. I appear to have been suffering dehydration (hard not to with weeks of temps in the mid 30 c's)  My urea was up around 11 point something. He will monitor that when I see him next month . The forecast is for continued heatwave conditions. I am not taking any diuretics for the time being and keeping a close eye on my feet and legs. I don't feel much change in my legs because of severe neuropathy. Life remains a game of stay on the tightrope, never a dull moment. Ron.

• Joan M
    Joan M Member Posts: 409 Member
    Congratulations Ron!

I am so happy to hear that you are on Year 20 of surviving colon cancer!

Also very happy to hear your kidney function has improved.  They keep developing new treatments for so many conditions. 

Your story of survivial is so inspirational!

Keep up the fight!

Joan 

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited February 2017 #20
    Woohooo

Woohoo Ron that is wonderful.  You have had an amazing and not very pleasant recovery and still continue to stay on this board and support those people that need to hear your story - for that I'm so thankful.  You were here when in the beginning for me so I'm thrilled you are still posting.  You've been through a lot, but I'm wishing the best health for you. 

Thanks for being such a great part of this community.

Kim