Recurring symptoms

Wenjaim10
Wenjaim10 Member Posts: 23

I finished treatment on December 14 and have been doing great. I started having some itching again yesterday. Has anyone else had this? I am worried it's not gone, should I be? I don't have a follow-up until March 29.

Wendi

Comments

• TraceyUSA
    TraceyUSA Member Posts: 316
    Hello Wenjaim10

I do believe I had some inching post treatment but it was nothing like the constant inch that I had prior to treatment.  It probably is just your skin healing or irritated because the treatments make it very sensitive.  I understand your worry and concern, it's always in the back of my head now that any little thing I feel could be a recurrance.  Have you tried putting some Aquafor on the area?

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Wenjaim10

I understand your concern.  Most likely, this itching is due to the healing process.  Tracey's suggestion of applying some Aquafor is good.  You might also try aloe or coconut oil.  Some also find relief with diaper rash cream, such as Desitin.  I hope you find something that helps!

• Wenjaim10
    TraceyUSA said:

Hello Wenjaim10

I do believe I had some inching post treatment but it was nothing like the constant inch that I had prior to treatment.  It probably is just your skin healing or irritated because the treatments make it very sensitive.  I understand your worry and concern, it's always in the back of my head now that any little thing I feel could be a recurrance.  Have you tried putting some Aquafor on the area?

Thank you Tracy. I have used

Thank you Tracy. I have used aquafor which does help. You're right, the itching is probably the healing, I just have it in the back of my head that it isn't gone. The hardest part is waiting. 

Thank you fir getting back to me.

Wendi

• Wenjaim10
    mp327 said:

Wenjaim10

I understand your concern.  Most likely, this itching is due to the healing process.  Tracey's suggestion of applying some Aquafor is good.  You might also try aloe or coconut oil.  Some also find relief with diaper rash cream, such as Desitin.  I hope you find something that helps!

MP 327

MP 327

It certainly makes me feel better that others have had this. It isn't like it was prior to treatment, but just having it scared me. I am not a patient person, so waiting until March 29 to do testing to make sure it's gone seems like forever. I will try designing, hopefully it will help. Thank you for getting back yo me. 

Wendi

7243 Member Posts: 249 Member
    edited January 2017 #6
    Waiting

it is the hardest part.  I had similar itching, burning, bleeding, mucus, and pain for months and years, even now, after treatment.   What's difficult is the signs of the healing are the same as the signs of disease ... and so are the symptoms of radiation proctitis, acute and chronic.   your worry and anxiety so understandable and NORMAL.  The worry decreases with time and good reports on your follow up tests.  I found post treatment a most difficult time (as many do if you google it) as treatment was over (the chemo and radiation) and I was left trying to figure out how to live again, how to deal with knowing I "had" cancer and was it really gone?   I was overwhelmed with grief, fear, and worry.  I finally found meditation and a good counselor to help me through.  You will find what works for you!  But honestly, it took me 18 months to begin to believe I was okay.  So I hope you can be patient with self as best you can.  Good and bad days to be expected.  At 18 months it's Not that the worry went away ... it was the point I realized a day had gone by and I hadn't thought about cancer.  That turning point was amazing and hopeful for me.  It takes time and it's different for each of us as it will be for you too.  I'm 6 years post treatment on Feb 17 ... it's been a tough journey, but staying in the moment and managing my thinking and worry got better with time, support from friends, this site and self compassion ... not to mention things get better with each "NED" rep during follow ups!  No Evidence of Disease ... NED!  This will happen for you too ... I encourage to find what brings you emotional and physical comfort as you heal physically and emotionally as you've been through so much!  Hang in there ... sending positive energy your way.   

• Wenjaim10
    7243 said:

Waiting

it is the hardest part.  I had similar itching, burning, bleeding, mucus, and pain for months and years, even now, after treatment.   What's difficult is the signs of the healing are the same as the signs of disease ... and so are the symptoms of radiation proctitis, acute and chronic.   your worry and anxiety so understandable and NORMAL.  The worry decreases with time and good reports on your follow up tests.  I found post treatment a most difficult time (as many do if you google it) as treatment was over (the chemo and radiation) and I was left trying to figure out how to live again, how to deal with knowing I "had" cancer and was it really gone?   I was overwhelmed with grief, fear, and worry.  I finally found meditation and a good counselor to help me through.  You will find what works for you!  But honestly, it took me 18 months to begin to believe I was okay.  So I hope you can be patient with self as best you can.  Good and bad days to be expected.  At 18 months it's Not that the worry went away ... it was the point I realized a day had gone by and I hadn't thought about cancer.  That turning point was amazing and hopeful for me.  It takes time and it's different for each of us as it will be for you too.  I'm 6 years post treatment on Feb 17 ... it's been a tough journey, but staying in the moment and managing my thinking and worry got better with time, support from friends, this site and self compassion ... not to mention things get better with each "NED" rep during follow ups!  No Evidence of Disease ... NED!  This will happen for you too ... I encourage to find what brings you emotional and physical comfort as you heal physically and emotionally as you've been through so much!  Hang in there ... sending positive energy your way.   

Thank you so much for

Thank you so much for responding to me 7243, sorry I don't know your name. Your post made me smile,cry,think, and emotional. I feel like I'm going crazy worrying about this all the time, it will certainly be nice to hear good news. I'm so thankful for all your insight, it helps tremendously! I think I may find a counselor to talk to. I have a wonderfully supportive family and friends, but I think someone that doesn't know me will be better to talk to. This sight is amazing. Who better to get advise from than someone that has gone through it? 

Thank you again, I so appreciate you and so happy I posted the question. I hope all is well with you.

Wendi