Worried

Colonchick
Colonchick Member Posts: 36 Member

Going in for annual colonoscopy this morning....Does the worrying ever subside?

Comments

• Colonchick
    edited January 2017 #2
    Anyone out there who has

Anyone out there who has continued to get polyps after rectal/colon cancer?

• zx10guy
    zx10guy Member Posts: 273 Member
    edited January 2017 #3
    Not to freak you out, but I

Not to freak you out, but I have continued to get polyps after my initial Stage 3B colon cancer diagnosis.  The first follow up after the colonoscopy which found the tumor resulted in I think 3 benign polyps being removed.  I was then put on a 3 year follow up schedule.  The follow up was done because I was due and to see why my CEA was spiking up.  That's when the polyp in my appenedix was found.  Back to surgery again to have a right hemicolectomy.  Pathology came back as Stage 0.

I guess the silver lining is now that you're under observation, the chances of things being caught early is much greater than someone waiting to become asymptomatic.  I guess I'm proof of this.  Had none of the follow ups been done, that Stage 0 polyp could have easily been mistaken as appendicitis.  At that stage, I would easily be Stage 3 if not Stage 4.

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member

Anyone out there who has

Anyone out there who has continued to get polyps after rectal/colon cancer?

I Did

On my first one (only one so far) after the dignosis and initial surgery.  None of them were problematic.

• db8ne1
    db8ne1 Member Posts: 142 Member
    edited January 2017 #5
    Yep!

My GI schedules my colonoscopy/follow-up for every 2 years.  Each time there are new polyps to remove. My understanding is that they are removing them to prevent them from becoming cancerous.  So, I'm good with that.

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    edited January 2017 #6
    Yes

I have had ten scopes and polyps have been found in at least half of them. More concerning I have had 2mm polyps removed with low grade gisplaysia. I am currently due for my 11th scope. Ron.

• Colonchick
    edited January 2017 #7
    Thank you! I was really upset

Thank you! I was really upset when they found the polyp...I know it's silly but I was just surprised to see a polyp after only a year!!

• db8ne1
    db8ne1 Member Posts: 142 Member
    edited January 2017 #8

Thank you! I was really upset

Thank you! I was really upset when they found the polyp...I know it's silly but I was just surprised to see a polyp after only a year!!

1st scope after colorectal surgery

Correction: I did have my first colonoscopy ONE year after my LAR - and now it is every 2 years.  Again - at least a couple of polyps every time - even that 1st year.  Other than that, everything else looks good.  So - no worries!

J