Just getting started and nervous

Options

I was diagnosed at the end of November with IDC stage 2, triple neg, with BRCA1+ mutation, neg lymph nodes. After a month of additional testing my MO and SO decided that chemo before double masectomy. I had the port placed last week and had my 1st round of carbo/taxol. I had minimal SE (thank goodness) this time. I will have 2nd round on Friday followed by 10 more rounds 1x a week. I get a 2 week break then 8 weeks of A/C every other week. I am asingle mom of 2 very active teenagers. I have to work because it is our only income. I need to save as much leave time as possible to use when I have the surgery. I don't want this to interfere with my childrens activities. My daughter has already passed up auditions for the school play(one of her main passions) because she was worried I would need her help. She didnt want to be torn between missing rehearsals or helping me. I am nervous about the side effects getting worse. I know everyone is different but has anyone done this C/T for 12 weeks and can tell me their experience as they progressed through treatment?

Comments

• Barb A
    Barb A Member Posts: 123
    edited January 2017 #2
    Options
    Been there too

Hello, sorry that you have had to join this club. It is a great group of people here though.

As you mentioned, everyone is different in how they react to chemo and other treatments. My two sons were teenagers when I went through chemo (I was a single mom). They too wanted to forego activities in case I needed them. This prompted me to seek out help from family, friends, cancer support groups and resources provided to me through the American Cancer Society. I was then able to reassure the boys that I was in good hands so they could still participate in their activities. I told them that it would make me feel worse if they missed out on activities that would be a one-time, teenager activity. I explained that they would only be teenagers once, and I didn't want them to miss out. I set a plan on the times I would ask them for help and when I would go to others, so they knew they were still helping me. Mostly helping with home chores, cooking, etc when they could.

I was fortunate that I didn't have major side affects from chemo. I also had my parents and other family and friends that were available. I attended the boys events when I could, and other times people would video the events for me to watch. I would have chemo on Thursdays, go to work on Friday because I usually felt good the next day. Then I had Saturday, Sunday and Monday to recoup. I took Mondays off, but probably could have worked. I get one day off every other week anyway, so only had to take actual sick time for half of them. I worked through radiation treatments too.

I hope everything goes well for you with your treatments.

Barb A

• peony
    peony Member Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My one son is an adult so I

My one son is an adult so I can't relate to the teenagers, but I had 12 weeks of taxol and I managed to go to work on a regular basis. I even hosted Thanksgiving dinner for 6 people. I felt lousy a lot of the time and fatigued quite a bit of the time, but I felt that I had to keep going, so I did.  When you can rest, rest.  I would accept the daughter's help, but not to the point of her missing out on anything.

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Hugs....

Denise

Hugs....

Denise

• Sasu
    Sasu Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Take it

welcome to this unusual club, and good luck as you go through your treatment process.   I guess my suggestion to you is this........when people talk to you as you go on this journey....inevitably a large number of them will say "Let me know if there is anything we can do to help."  That is when you speak up and say....."actually, there is something you could do..." and ask them to drive a child to practice, or whatever their activity is.  People generally don't offer to help unless they mean it, and are usually very glad to help when assistance is needed.  I know you're used to doing it all yourself, but you do and will need the help.  Take it, and down the road when you are recovered, you can help someone when they need it.  Hugs.

• MsWood76
    MsWood76 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2017 #6
    Options
    Journey

I didn't just get started, I am hoping I am at the end of my 2 year journey, but I want to say goodbye and offer incouragament. It will pass by quicker then you think!!!

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    hugs and pixie dust on your

hugs and pixie dust on your way..

DeniseLaughing

• copygirl
    copygirl Member Posts: 3
    Options
    DCIS

Best of luck to you!