Throat/Healing

Options

I had SCC of the tongue.  SUrgery, chemo, radiation.  My radiation (35 treatments) ended in late August but my throat still bothers me.  I don't have teeth anymore so I drink smoothies or eat soft foods only but I find whatever soft foods I eat afterwards my throat hurts a lot for several hours.  Did anyone else experience this?  It's been 5 months since radiation so I figured it would be better by now.

Comments

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    edited January 2017 #2
    Options
    This could go on for while...

but not forever....this will still happen to me now (4 years out)....but with tougher foods.  Just a couple weeks ago, I had trisquits with cream cheese on them....I had a hell of a sore throat for the next week....it took me three days to figure out WHY my throat was sore (always nervous, ya know :) ).  Looking back, it's the year mark that really shows how far each of us have come.  It truly takes a LONG time to heal.  I'll bet some soft foods don't make it sore, and some do....just that tiny bit of difference in texture makes a difference.

p

• Raddude
    Raddude Member Posts: 84
    Options
    have you tried...

swishing and swallowing L-Glutamine?

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    not to worry yet

cbeaz4626,

I agree with p51, it can take a long time and the foods which once were your friends are no longer welcome.  I used magic mouth wash for a while, but things got much better.

If your doctor is not worried and he seems to care, I would just be patient and continue to experiment with what works or doesn’t.

Matt

• cbeaz4626
    cbeaz4626 Member Posts: 35
    edited January 2017 #5
    Options

This could go on for while...

but not forever....this will still happen to me now (4 years out)....but with tougher foods.  Just a couple weeks ago, I had trisquits with cream cheese on them....I had a hell of a sore throat for the next week....it took me three days to figure out WHY my throat was sore (always nervous, ya know :) ).  Looking back, it's the year mark that really shows how far each of us have come.  It truly takes a LONG time to heal.  I'll bet some soft foods don't make it sore, and some do....just that tiny bit of difference in texture makes a difference.

p

slight textures

You are right the slightest texture difference and my throat feels it immediately.  I'll give it more time.  I get impatient with all this stuff as I am sure you all did too.  Just want to get on with things......

• cbeaz4626
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

not to worry yet

cbeaz4626,

I agree with p51, it can take a long time and the foods which once were your friends are no longer welcome.  I used magic mouth wash for a while, but things got much better.

If your doctor is not worried and he seems to care, I would just be patient and continue to experiment with what works or doesn’t.

Matt

thanks Matt.......I just need

thanks Matt.......I just need to be more patient.

• cbeaz4626
    Options
    Raddude said:

have you tried...

swishing and swallowing L-Glutamine?

yes....I have done some of

yes....I have done some of this.  Was trying to get used to not needing it

• danc1962
    danc1962 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Check to make sure you do not

Check to make sure you do not have thrush. It is pretty common for those of us who have had radiation treatments in the neck area. I have had it twice. The first time was about three weeks into radiation. That pretty much ended eating. Then after treatments were done, I was getting taste buds back, starting to eat a variety of foods but it became difficult. At my check up, the doc saw yeast and I thought oh my, that explains it. Just something to look for. I took Nystatin again and the yeast went away and it's back to seeing what tastes like what. KFC dark meat original recipe is like my mmm good! Sausage, venison right behind. Try black cherry kool ade too. Hope you recover complete and quick. Good luck and above all, God Bless you.  Dan