Daughter has questions about moms dx

Options
Kdfinch
Kdfinch Member Posts: 2

my mom was just dx with ovarian cancer in December she had her first chemo tx six days ago and is having trouble with legs cramps and coNstipation..... what can we do to help her over this obstacle?

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    edited January 2017 #2
    Options
    Your mother is lucky to have

Your mother is lucky to have such a caring daughter!  I am sorry you have had to find us, and I can't help with the leg cramps (I would recommend talking to the doctors office if no one else chimes in) but constipation.  Chemo causes constipation.  I am sorry to hear she was not warned about this side effect in advance. 

Here is a link to a discussion on this very topic.  Please don't hesitate to ask anything you want. 

http://csn.cancer.org/node/306901

• Kdfinch
    Kdfinch Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2017 #3
    Options

Your mother is lucky to have

Your mother is lucky to have such a caring daughter!  I am sorry you have had to find us, and I can't help with the leg cramps (I would recommend talking to the doctors office if no one else chimes in) but constipation.  Chemo causes constipation.  I am sorry to hear she was not warned about this side effect in advance. 

Here is a link to a discussion on this very topic.  Please don't hesitate to ask anything you want. 

http://csn.cancer.org/node/306901

Leg cramps....constipation fixed

Thank you so much!! That helped! She finally went today after 4days. Her infusion was last Thursday!  I live nine hrs away and am an Rn but I feel so helpless.  My mom is 67 and she has an amazing attitude about her dx.  I will go up for all of her tx to support her. Did shave my head after her chemo tx. We had lots of laughs. the dr has not told us a stage or the type so I feel like we are in the dark. I do know it's on both ovaries the omentim and the abd wall. So far no organs are involved. She is still suffering from lower leg and ankle cramps. She's only taking Tylenol for that. Again thank you so much!  Keep my mom in your prayers!!

kim

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    edited January 2017 #4
    Options
    Kdfinch, your mom and all of

Kdfinch, your mom and all of your family are in my prayers.  None of this go through this alone.  We could not do this without the love and support of family and friends.

• LorettaMarshall
    LorettaMarshall Member Posts: 662 Member
    edited January 2017 #5
    Options
    KD~Mom's symptoms R normal for OC ~see references below

Hello “KD”

You’ve come to a place where many here understand exactly what your mom is experiencing.  While you haven’t told us the exact stage of your mother’s Ovarian cancer, when it comes to the side effects of chemo, I for one can tell you that leg cramps and irregularity are common for me.  I’m sorry that you have to be here, but check back anytime your mom is experiencing something that you think may not be “normal.”  The side effects can begin as soon as the chemo begins.  My doctor has recommended taking “Phillips’ Milk of Magnesia” for constipation, and Imodium-AD as an anti-diarrheal drug.  Naturally, it goes without saying that hydration is very important, and that she should drink as much water as possible.  Since I have had Cytoreductive Surgery,  problems with bowels is “normal”.  Unpleasant though irregularity is, I’m still alive. 

All I hope is that it is an early stage of Ovarian cancer.  Below my name I will give you some references relative to chemotherapy, including a letter I wrote to a gentleman named Brian, who wanted some tips on what to expect from the chemo treatments his mom was about to begin.  So I will share that link for you as well, as links that I have found helpful since I was diagnosed Peritoneal Carcinomatosis and Stage IV Ovarian cancer in November of 2012.

Not certain of the drugs your Mama is having, but two traditional chemo drugs are Carboplatin and Paclitaxel (Taxol).  So since those may be the two she is taking, I will list those two links, but you will also be able to find any drug presently being given that is FDA approved.  Of course, there are clinical trials that have not yet received any type of approval.  I’m assuming that she is on an approved drug rather than in a clinical trial.  The links I’ve provided below will give you a “starting place” to learn more about the specific characteristics of Ovarian Cancer.  And don’t be timid.  Be sure your mom will ask her oncologist any question that is on her mind, and expect an answer.  Also I would keep a record of all the treatments and results from them, plus ask for copies of all medical testing results as you go along.  Should it happen that your mom needs to go elsewhere for additional treatment, or for a second opinion, if she hasn’t had one already, it will be good to not have to “backtrack” and get the files together.  You should be entitled with a copy of all results at no charge.  Believe me, mom is paying for them! 

So “KD”, let me wish for your mom a good result from the current chemo regimen she is taking.  If there’s more you think we can say that will help you to understand better the effects of Ovarian cancer, no matter the stage, we will try to help. 

Loretta Marshall

Peritoneal Carcinomatosis/Ovarian Cancer Stage IV

1. http://csn.cancer.org/node/301646

“BRIAN from the North~Things I learned during my chemo treatments~Hope it will B helpful 2 U & Mom~Wishing her all the best!”

2.   http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/carboplatin.aspx

“…What Carboplatin Is Used For:

Carboplatin is used to treat ovarian cancer.

• Carboplatin is also used for other types of cancer, including lung, head and neck, endometrial, esophageal, bladder, breast, and cervical; central nervous system or germ cell tumors; osteogenic sarcoma; and as preparation for a stem cell or bone marrow transplant...

The following side effects are common (occurring in greater than 30%) for patients taking Carboplatin:

Low blood counts (including red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets)

Nadir: Meaning low point, nadir is the point in time between chemotherapy cycles in which you experience low blood counts.

Onset: None reported
    Nadir: 21 days
    Recovery: 28 days

These are less common (occurring in 10-29%) side effects for patients receiving Carboplatin:

•  Burning sensation at the injection site
    • Abdominal pain
    • Diarrhea
    • Constipation
    • Mouth sores
    • Infection
    • Peripheral neuropathy: Although uncommon, a serious side effect of decreased sensation and paresthesia (numbness and tingling of the extremities) may be noted. Sensory loss, numbness and tingling, and difficulty in walking may last for at least as long as therapy is continued. These side effects may become progressively more severe with continued treatment, and your doctor may decide to decrease your dose.
    • Central neurotoxicity:  Infrequent but patients over age 65 are at increased risk.  Symptoms include dizziness, confusion, visual changes, ringing in the ears.
    • Nephrotoxicity (see kidney problems):  More frequent when Carboplatin is given in high doses or to people with kidney problems.
    • Hearing loss (ototoxicity) - loss of high pitched sounds.
    • Abnormal blood electrolyte levels (sodium, potassium, calcium). 
    • Abnormal blood liver enzymes (SGOT, Alkaline phosphatase) (see liver problems).
    • Cardiovascular events.  Although infrequent, heart failure, blood clots and strokes have been reported with Carboplatin use.  Less than 1% were life-threatening. 
    • Allergic reaction may occur.  It would occur during the actual transfusion.  This may include itching, rash, shortness of breath or dizziness (especially in patients who have received cisplatin)…”

3.  http://www.chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/Taxol.aspx

…Taxol is used for the treatment of breast, ovarian, lung, bladder, prostate, melanoma, esophageal, as well as other types of solid tumor cancers. It has also been used in Kaposi's sarcoma…

The following Taxol side effects are common (occurring in greater than 30%) for patients taking Taxol:

•  Low blood counts.  Your white and red blood cells and platelets may temporarily decrease.  This can put you at increased risk for infection, anemia and/or bleeding.
    • Hair loss
    • Arthralgias and myalgias, pain in the joints and muscles. Usually temporary occurring 2 to 3 days after Taxol, and resolve within a few days.  
    • Peripheral neuropathy (numbness and tingling of the hands and feet)
    • Nausea and vomiting (usually mild)
    • Diarrhea
    • Mouth sores
    • Hypersensitivity reaction - fever, facial flushing, chills, shortness of breath, or hives after Taxol is given.  The majority of these reactions occur within the first 10 minutes of an infusion.  Notify your healthcare provider immediately (premedication regimen has significantly decreased the incidence of this reaction)…

Chemotherapy is most effective at killing cells that are rapidly dividing.  Unfortunately, chemotherapy does not know the difference between the cancerous cells and the normal cells. The "normal" cells will grow back and be healthy but in the meantime, side effects occur.  The "normal" cells most commonly affected by chemotherapy are the blood cells, the cells in the mouth, stomach and bowel, and the hair follicles; resulting in low blood counts, mouth sores, nausea, diarrhea, and/or hair loss.  Different drugs may affect different parts of the body…”

4.   http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/ovarian-fallopian-tube-and-peritoneal-cancer

5.   https://www.oncolink.org/cancers/gynecologic/ovarian-cancer

__________________End of references___________________

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Kdfinch said:

Leg cramps....constipation fixed

Thank you so much!! That helped! She finally went today after 4days. Her infusion was last Thursday!  I live nine hrs away and am an Rn but I feel so helpless.  My mom is 67 and she has an amazing attitude about her dx.  I will go up for all of her tx to support her. Did shave my head after her chemo tx. We had lots of laughs. the dr has not told us a stage or the type so I feel like we are in the dark. I do know it's on both ovaries the omentim and the abd wall. So far no organs are involved. She is still suffering from lower leg and ankle cramps. She's only taking Tylenol for that. Again thank you so much!  Keep my mom in your prayers!!

kim

Do you know for sure that it is ovarian cancer?

Mine is appendiceal, and it presented as a tumor ON the ovary, the omentum, and scattered throughout the abdominal cavity.  It appears that my appendix must have ruptured, spewed forth cancer cells, and rehealed (and yes, there was cancer in my "normal looking" appendix.)

Has Intraperitoneal chemo been offered as an option?  Note that I had both IP and systemic chemo, but with the drugs aimed at colo-rectal tumors, not the drugs for ovarian cancer, since that isn't what I had.  Just some questions to ask.