SOME QUESTIONS

Options
don09
don09 Member Posts: 108

Hi everyone, hope you all are doing well and that our new year has been good to you.  I have some questions that I'm hoping some of you might be able to answer and put to rest my curiosity, but let me give you some details which might help I finished treatments as of 12/27/16 I had radiation for 6 weeks, and two rounds of 5FU.  My first question: I noticed I dont seem to have the control I used to have with my bowels, Lately it is when I have to go.......I HAVE TO GO!!! since I did recently finish radiation I am assuming that I need to allow time for my bowels to heal, before thinking that this is how it will be from now on.  Any of you experience this as well?  Secondly: My hair was shoulder length prior to chemo, it thinned so severly that the hair left is a few strands left for length. and still shedding! How long I am wondering this is going to continue? I would of thought that after the second round it would of stopped?  Any help any of you can answer would be greatly appreciated.  Stay well my friends

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    don09

Your side effects sound very similar to what I experienced.  I had diarrhea and urgency issues for a few months post-treatment nearly every day.  I didn't dare leave the house before noon some days.  Accidents were few and far in between, but that's probably because I was home and always near a bathroom.  Whenever I felt the urge, I needed to go!  My hair thinned quite a lot all over my head and in patches here and there.  It seems to my best recollection that fall out continued for about 3 months after treatment ended.  I was quite frustrated.  However, I began to see new growth and it didn't seem to take too long for my hair to fill back in.  I really don't have thick hair to begin with, so I looked like I had the mange.  One suggestion I would make is using a shampoo that contains biotin.  If you google, you'll find there are quite a few brands.   I don't remember what brand I used, but it did seem to strengthen my hair.  Sometimes a short haircut helps make the hair loss less noticeable too.  Sorry you are dealing with both of these issues, but they are ones that are quite common after this treatment and normally improve with time.  Best wishes to you as you continue to recover.

Martha

• mxperry220
    mxperry220 Member Posts: 493 Member
    edited January 2017 #3
    Options
    Side Effects

I had urgency issues for the first year after treatment.  As Martha stated I never ventured too far from home and when I did I made certain a restroom was nearby.  I am 8 years post treatment. Even today the mornings are more of a challenge as far as BMs are concerned.  I try to make appointments in the afternoon. Before treatment I had 1-2 BMs daily.  I now have 3-5 BMs daily.  I take two immodium daily as I have since treatments.  The doctors recommended taking them as they are not harmful per the doctor.  I am 8 years post treatment.

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited January 2017 #4
    Options
    diarrhea

You might try lomotil rather than immodium!

• tervic
    tervic Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I am just over a year post

I am just over a year post treatment.  I had 7 weeks of radiation.  I still have urgency with bowel movements and accidents as well.  I am stage 3b

• TraceyUSA
    TraceyUSA Member Posts: 316
    edited January 2017 #6
    Options
    don09

I am almost 4 years post treatment and still have urgency/frequency issues.  It has lessened somewhat compare to what it was since immediately after treatment.  I accept it as a side effect of the treatments and figure it's a small price to pay for being well.  As for the hair, mine continued to fall out for a while after treatment and seemed to take forever (although it was probably only a few months) to start coming back.