Has anyone choosen prothesis vs. reconstruction

Bajube
Bajube Member Posts: 2

I am newly diagnosesd and am 74, active and feel 40.  I will have a tight mastectomy on Jan. 24.

I cannot find anyone to to talk to me about prothesis vs reconstruction.  I beginning to think that reconstruction is the way to go but I really don't relish additional surgeries.  I have not been able to find anyone in my age group , newly diagnosed who choose and have experienced wearing a prothesis.

I wish I could find someone who is in their late 60's to 70's to relate their experience to me.

Thank you

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    edited January 2017 #2
    NO advice-just sending good

NO advice-just sending good thoughts

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    edited January 2017 #3
    Perfectly happy

I was 46 when diagnosed and am perfectly happy without reconstruction. In fact, I feel that doctors too often just assume everyone should get it. I made a list of pros and cons. The funny thing was that "appearance" was the only pro. The reasons I do not want surgery are just so many. I did not want: additional surgery and recovery (I'm very active and run marathons), additional expense, compromise my recovery from cancer, have weird foreign objects under my skin, have silicone which could leak or need replacing in the future, have implants which would possibly hide a recurrence in the chest area, and have to get surgery on my healthy side to make it "match" a new breast.  I can tell my surgeon approves of my choice (she's a woman). However, I have a husband who was completely against fake boobs and many women feel lost without them. I think if I could get surgery that would give me real ones with feeling, I might do it. I have complete respect for women who get reconstruction and think its great for them. It just is not for me! Gosh, I hope I haven't made your decision harder and I hope someone that is pro reconstruction gives you their take on this important issue! Whatever you do, research it well....Anna

• sunshine_64
    sunshine_64 Member Posts: 50
    edited February 2017 #4
    radiation or reconstruction first?

I am 69 and would also like some advice--I know that silicone implants can create problems - infection being the most worrisome, but I am guessing that can happen with reconstructive surgery as well. I will be talking to a surgeon (first visit) tomorrow and hopefully will learn more about whether I am a candidate for either one. It's hard to think about when you're also facing a radiation and chemo regime as well.  I have heard that radiation after reconstruction can be problematic as well--does anyone have any first-hand experience?

• JLK32
    JLK32 Member Posts: 9

I only had one breast removed, and had an implant on that side had to had to be removed within a week due to infection. I was very happy to lose it because it felt very uncomfortable. Like button2, I haven't pursued further reconstruction because of my lifestyle. I compete in dressage, and most of the other options would have compromised the muscles I use in my riding, not something I was willing to accept. My initial surgeon advised against radiation in my case (I am now six years post my initial diagnosis, and four years post my stage IV diagnosis), so I didn't have that factor to deal with, though I did have to have radiation treatment later on for my brain tumor.

• M12Lewis
    M12Lewis Member Posts: 26
    Hi, Bajube

I am 66, had a mastectomy in December, 2016, and chose NOT to have reconstruction.  At first I considered it and even had an appointment with a reconstructive surgeon before my surgery.  I seriously thought it over and cancelled the appointment.  I advised my surgical oncologist that I decided against reconstruction.  I AM SO GLAD I CHOSE NOT TO GO WITH RECONSTRUCTION.  This is my opinion.  Recovery from surgery was a little tougher than I anticipated.  I was lucky and stayed with my son and daughter-in-law for two weeks following surgery.  There are numerous follow up appts with your surgeon, I had a drain hanging from my side, and during this recovery my main thought was I wouldn't have to go through reconstruction.

I was able to make up my mind after researching the process.  Reconstruction involves several steps.  It isn't done in one surgery.  At my age, I'm over having two boobs.  I still have one and that's enough.  I have ordered a "knitted" prosthesis and I am waiting for its completion and delivery.  I also will order either a foam or silicone prosthesis.  In the meantime, I found the bras and have been very imaginative with a home-made prosthesis until I get the others.

Good luck with your decision.  Whatever you decide, stick to it, go with it, and be happy.

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    edited February 2017 #7
    checking back in to see how

checking back in to see how you are doing...

Denise

• button2
    M12Lewis said:

Hi, Bajube

I am 66, had a mastectomy in December, 2016, and chose NOT to have reconstruction.  At first I considered it and even had an appointment with a reconstructive surgeon before my surgery.  I seriously thought it over and cancelled the appointment.  I advised my surgical oncologist that I decided against reconstruction.  I AM SO GLAD I CHOSE NOT TO GO WITH RECONSTRUCTION.  This is my opinion.  Recovery from surgery was a little tougher than I anticipated.  I was lucky and stayed with my son and daughter-in-law for two weeks following surgery.  There are numerous follow up appts with your surgeon, I had a drain hanging from my side, and during this recovery my main thought was I wouldn't have to go through reconstruction.

I was able to make up my mind after researching the process.  Reconstruction involves several steps.  It isn't done in one surgery.  At my age, I'm over having two boobs.  I still have one and that's enough.  I have ordered a "knitted" prosthesis and I am waiting for its completion and delivery.  I also will order either a foam or silicone prosthesis.  In the meantime, I found the bras and have been very imaginative with a home-made prosthesis until I get the others.

Good luck with your decision.  Whatever you decide, stick to it, go with it, and be happy.

Hi Lewis

Just wanting to advise you to definitely get a proper silicone prosthesis. They feel amazing. My husband couldn't tell the difference between it and my real boob thru my shirt. Ive gotten so used to it that I almost feel it as part of me. The weight is perfect and I honestly feel like I used to feel. And at night I can take it off and wash it and not have a creepy thing under my skin. I have a different one to swim with and a foam one for night which is softer as I sleep.

• sheilae1
    sheilae1 Member Posts: 2

radiation or reconstruction first?

I am 69 and would also like some advice--I know that silicone implants can create problems - infection being the most worrisome, but I am guessing that can happen with reconstructive surgery as well. I will be talking to a surgeon (first visit) tomorrow and hopefully will learn more about whether I am a candidate for either one. It's hard to think about when you're also facing a radiation and chemo regime as well.  I have heard that radiation after reconstruction can be problematic as well--does anyone have any first-hand experience?

did reconstruction before radiation

Hi I am 55 and had double mastectomy jan 4 17 with concrrent flap reconstruction.first few days in hopsital were hellish but after that I recovered very quickly and within three weeks was running my usual 20 miles per week. Now no pain at all. breast feel completely normal to the touch except no nipples. ( ican get those later- in office procedure. I chose to have very small breasts, tho which I belived helped me to heal more quickly. you cantbelive how good it is to have small breasts. clothes fit better, no bra most of the time, now I am doing radiation. my onc confirmed that there is no greater risk with radition after reoncstructiom-new studies confirm this

• sheilae1
    sheilae1 Member Posts: 2
    radaition and lung damage

Hi I am 55 yr old woman doing radiation very soon. stage 3, BC  double mastectomy, already had chemo,had lymph node involvemnt so pretty serious radiation. radonc told me 25% scarring to left breast and 10% scarring to right breast possible but usually this is asymptomatic unless you are a runner. I am a serious runner so very disappointing for me. I am in despair about this. has anyone done radition and then did not experience lung fibrosis?

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I'm 70 now, was 63 when DXd.

I'm 70 now, was 63 when DXd.  Being IBC, recon was not an option at UMX.  Had to wait at least a yr.  

I had thought that I would do recon when that yr passed.  It passed and I decided against.

I was/am a very active 'outdoor' woman (riding/caring for our horses, bicycling, mowing my yard with my push mower, fishing/ flyfishing, boating, etc.).  My UMX did not slow me down at all.  My pros. felt totally 'normal' (for lack of a better word) and looked 'natural'. I never think about 'it' now - it's just a 'part' of me now - who/what I am today.  

I was not limited with doing those things I love to do after UMX so - to my thoughts - when I'm very comfortable as I am, why should I take a chance on doing an unnecessary surgery that the outcome of could lower my quality of life? There are no guarantees with any surgery.

My suggestion is to be sure that you see a very experienced Certified Fitter to get the optimum pros. (and bras that fit you correctly) as there are so many different size and shape ones - we are each unique - no one size fits all.

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    edited February 2017 #12
    sheilae1 said:

Hi I am 55 yr old woman doing radiation very soon. stage 3, BC  double mastectomy, already had chemo,had lymph node involvemnt so pretty serious radiation. radonc told me 25% scarring to left breast and 10% scarring to right breast possible but usually this is asymptomatic unless you are a runner. I am a serious runner so very disappointing for me. I am in despair about this. has anyone done radition and then did not experience lung fibrosis?

Not a runner

I'm not a runner - serious or not - I gave up 'running' when I got out of the Army.  Are you saying because you had a BMX you can't run because of imbalance with both breast removed?

"25% scaring to left breast and 10% scaring to right breast" but you had BMX so breasts are not there - chest is.   I did get some serious skin burning after rads were over but eventually the skin healed with no issues years later.  I did not have any lung fibrosis.  

Don't understand what you are trying to say.

Winyan - The Power Within 

• button2
    sheilae1 said:

Running

Hi Sheilae I'm a serious runner (30-35 mi a week) and my lung has fibrosis on one side. I have noticed no difference and recently completed a marathon and a mountain race with great success. Ask your doctor how extensive he thinks the damage might be. Try not to compromise your therapy if you can. Good luck Anna.