Just diagnosed in September 2016

Options
Bajube
Bajube Member Posts: 2

I was just diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer.  I had a lumpectomy that showed 2 types of breast cancer.....ductal and lobular.  Unable to get all of the cancer, I am having a mastectomy on January 24.  I have spoken to many women who have had reconstruction but I have only found one woman who wears a prothesis.  I am 74 and very active.....feel "young".  I have no other health problems.  

I would like to find someone in this age group who choose reconstruction and another who has chosen to use a prothesis after surgery.  

At this point I do not know if I will need chemo or radiation after surgery.

I hope there is someone I can communicate with about these 2 approaches to post nmastectomy in my age group.

Thank you

Bajube

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options

Going Flat posted by TracieinLA. Maybe this article would help you decide.

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    edited January 2017 #3
    Options
    NO advice I have had 2

NO advice I have had 2 lumpecoties on the same side (I am very small breasted). I hope you will find someone here that can hep you out.

Denise

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    edited January 2017 #4
    Options
    I am only 54.

I am only 54.  I chose to go flat and stay flat.  It is a big adjustment but I dont regret it.  It is a choice only you can make.  

• Yangj0429
    Yangj0429 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Apaugh said:

I am only 54.

I am only 54.  I chose to go flat and stay flat.  It is a big adjustment but I dont regret it.  It is a choice only you can make.  

I am with you.  I was 50 when

I am with you.  I was 50 when I had double mastectomy.  I chose to go flat.  Now, I am 52 and I felt really good about my body.   It is a very personal choice only you can make.

• KathyLQ
    KathyLQ Member Posts: 100
    edited January 2017 #6
    Options
    I choose reconstruction

I was diagnosed in 2010.   I had a masectomy, followed by reconstruction the following year.   I had a D.I.E.P. flap transfer.   It definately boosted my self esteem.    It just feels like I have a real 2nd breast, all day long.  The only thing, there is no feeling in that reconstructed breast.. only in the chest wall, and surrounding.   The D.I.E.P. surgery was a long one, I had to remain in the hospital for nearly a week on my back, no showers.   The reason for the long stay, is because it is a transplant, and they want to be sure it takes.

I choose no chemotherapy and no radiation.    I am fine today, age 64.

My DIEP surgery was done in San Francisco.   It is generally done in large hospitals in large cities.   To help me with my decision, I attend a number of surgical support groups where women showed their results and talked about their experiences.

Reconstruction can be expensive.   Even with having insurance, it cost me thousands out of my pocket.

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Popped back in to see how you

Popped back in to see how you are doing....

Denise

sending pixie dust your way