Port/Picc Line?

Options
AmyD1310
AmyD1310 Member Posts: 59

Hi again, everyone,

I hope this message finds you all as well as possible. With the official news of stage 1 squamous cell carcinoma, I will be getting a chemo port/Picc line placed this Friday. I'm scared, but realize this is part of the treatment process that will hopefully free me from this terrible disease. Is anyone willing to share their experience with having their port/picc line placed? What can I expect? Also, how soon after placement did actual treatment begin for you? Thanks all. Hugs and love.

-Amy

Comments

• Wenjaim10
    Wenjaim10 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi Amy. I was diagnosed with

Hi Amy. I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma anal canal on October 17, 2016, I saw my oncologist on the 19th and had my port placed on the 21st, PET/CT scan the 25th, MRI on the 26th, and chemo and radiation started the 31St. It was quite the couple of weeks. The Port placement was no big deal, except it hurt to lay on that side or stomach for about a week. I had 2 rounds of chemo each lasting 5 days and 4 weeks apart. The radiation was Monday through Friday for 31 sessions. I had very few side effects except for the burning in my lower region and very little nausea during the second round of chemo. I still have my hair, and I am healing. I finished everything on December 4 and had a repeat MRI last Friday. When I was first diagnosed, the tumor measured 6.7x2.9x4.5.My MRI Friday showed favorable interval response to therapy with considerable shrinkage of the mass. The mass couldn't be measured because of inflammation due to the radiation, which I knew. I am ecstatic and amazed and so thankful. I'm 45 years old,my only daughter is almost 23 and going to be married this July. I am confident that I  will be there and will be there to watch my grandkids grow up when I have them. I totally believe in positive thinking and prayer. I know this is scary, but you have to remain positive and be strong. That's how you will get through it. I am here if you have questions or you just want to vent. Remember none of the side effects are important right now, you'll get through it. Concentrate on getting better and living! 

Wendi

• AmyD1310
    Options
    Wendi

wendi,

Thank you for your response. I am positive I have to kick cancer's ****. I WILL see my babies grow up.  One quick question...were you able to work while receiving treatment? 

• Phoebesnow
    Phoebesnow Member Posts: 600 Member
    edited January 2017 #4
    Options
    Pic line

i had no problems, never hurt, easy to get out.  It was in for about six weeks.

• jimdanabree
    jimdanabree Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2017 #5
    Options
    Amy

I had pic lines put because my chemo was at the beginning with my radiation and at the end with my radiation. So I had a pic Lind put in twice then. And had to have another one put in because of complications after my last chemo treatment and was in hospital for ten days. I don't know anything about the port but, pic lines are not so bad. Less needles stuck with also. I hate needles ha ha.I was diagnosed with stage 3 squamous cell carcinoma. My last treatments were Aug the 15. Had a flex Sig done and Dr. seen nothing at all. I did lose a good bit of my hair but, that is unusual for the chemo that I had. If you get pic. line put in they use numbing meds. The first time was a little uncomfortable but the other two was a breeze. And getting it out is even easier. One long hum and its over. Treatment started as soon as pic line was put in because I was in the hospital for 96 hours for both chemo treatments.Are you doing in hospital treatments or out of hospital treatments? Sending prayers your way.

• qv62
    qv62 Member Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    AmyD1310

Hi Amy, has your oncologist discussed the possibility of Xeloda in place of a port/picline ? You may want to ask about this as you can avoid having to deal with a port.

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Amy

I was treated way back in 2008 and had a port.  I don't recall how far ahead of my treatment I had the procedure, but I do know that I had no problems whatsoever with my port.  It seemed to work like a charm and was removed about 3 months after my treatment ended.  During treatment, the port was flushed weekly.  The placement and removal procedures were done under twilight anesthesia and were no big deal.  I did have some discomfort with both, but I wouldn't describe it as pain.

I'm glad you are now staged and that your tumor is stage 1.  Your chances of complete blasting away of the cancer are very high.  I was right on the fence between stage 1 and 2 and I'm here over 8 years later.  I received two rounds of chemo with Mitomycin and 5 Fluorouracil and 30 radiation treatments.  Issues I dealt with during treatment included extreme fatigue, slight nausea, loss of appetite, mouth sores, partial hair loss, severe diarrhea, and pain with bowel movements and urination.  That all said, there are lots of things that can help with the nausea, mouth sores and pain.  I urge you to discuss all of these possible side effects with your doctor(s) ahead of time and get your arsenal of medications at the ready if and when you need them. 

As for nausea, I hope your doctor will give you an antiemetic for that.  The best advice I can give you is to take it at the first onset of queasiness.  Also, I carried saltine crackers and hard candy with me everywhere in the event nausea hit me all of a sudden.  Mouth sores may be avoided by having ice chips to put in your mouth during chemo infusion.  If you get mouth sores or thrush, your doctor may give you a prescription for a solution called Magic Mouthwash.  It is kind of nasty to use, but effective.  Use a soft tooth brush, along with Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash.  For diarrhea, Imodium is usually the first line of attack, but sometimes a prescription med is needed, such as Lomotil.  Having pain medication on hand is a must.  Please do not do what I did, as I avoided taking enough of it since I was driving myself most days to treatment.  Find someone to drive you so that you can take the medication as prescribed and stay on top of the pain.  If you get relief, do not stop taking the meds, as once the pain returns, it will be harder to control.

As for eating, I tried to eat healthy in the beginning.  However, as my appetite declined, I found that most things did not sound good.  I had a discussion with my oncologist about what to eat and his advice was to eat whatever I could get down.  It was difficult to eat anything towards the end of my treatment.  I lost some weight and when I got down to 93 pounds, my doctor threatened to put me in the hospital for IV nutrition.  I had to really force myself to eat, but managed to avoid hospitalization.  I do not know how much you weigh, but if you are on the slim side, you may want to increase your calorie intake while you are feeling good and do it with nutritional foods to give your body the best chance at staving off some of the common side effects.  I would recommend trying to get some protein with each meal or snack during treatment, as it promotes healing.

When any side effect comes on, make sure to mention it to your doctor(s), no matter how insignificant it might seem.  As your body becomes weaker from the treatment, you cannot fight off things like you can when healthy.  Also, this is flu and cold season, so avoid people who may be sick and use caution when going out in public.  Some people even wear a surgical mask, as to avoid germs.  Carry hand sanitizer with you.  I'm not a germaphobe, but I think during treatment we cannot be too cautious.

I wish you all the best as you take this journey.  It will not be fun, but you will make it to the finish line.  If you have questions or concerns, we are here for you. 

• Wenjaim10
    Wenjaim10 Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2017 #8
    Options
    AmyD1310 said:

Wendi

wendi,

Thank you for your response. I am positive I have to kick cancer's ****. I WILL see my babies grow up.  One quick question...were you able to work while receiving treatment? 

Work

Amy

I did not work while going through treatment. I am a nurse and taking pain pills while trying to take care of people is a very bad idea. My last day of work was October 29 and I am finally planning to go back this Sunday the 8th. I'm still tired a lot so will only do 6 hour shifts as opposed to 12, but can't wait. I wish you well, you will do great. I forgot to mention, when I started my chemo I also started swishing a mix of baking soda, salt, and water every time I went to the bathroom. I also put chapstick on and lotion on my hands after washing. The chemo can cause mouth sores and hand and foot disease, doing that routine every time I used the bathroom saved me from any issues. 

Good luck praying for you! 

Wendi

• mxperry220
    mxperry220 Member Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I Had Port

I was treated for anal cancer in 2008 amd they put a port in, no big deal.  My treatments began immediately after port placement.  If you do have a port put in make certain they flush port weekly until removal.  If I remember correctly flushing keeps blood clots from forming. 

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    edited January 2017 #10
    Options
    I had Picc

When I was being treated, they had trouble putting ina Port. It was pretty traumatic for me. My blood pressure dropped and they endedmup,sending me for guided placement of a PICC line. I was happy to have the PICC line. Most people have no trouble with the Port. I wish you good luck your treatment.

• AmyD1310
    Options
    Update

Hey all! 

Just a quick update. My oncologist told me he would prefer I had a Picc line rather than a port. I get my first one put in on the 16th, and begin chemo right after placement. I'm still very nervous, but grateful for all the kindness and support I have received from all of you! Thank you all so much!

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Amy

I'm glad you are nearing the beginning of treatment.  I felt so much better once I started treatment because I felt like I was finally fighting the beast.  You will do fine!

• pializ
    pializ Member Posts: 508 Member
    edited January 2017 #13
    Options
    Amy

I had a PICC line inserted. I had YouTubed it before it happened so I knew what to expect, though that isn't always the best for everyone. It was no problem. It was inserted about 2 weeks before treatment began and removed right after my second round of chemo. when on chemo I had to use a bath, but between times I could shower using a special sleeve that people with plaster casts can also use. You quickly get used to it but these days there are even covers you can use to make it less obvious to others. 

It seems so long ago but also like so recent. I am nearing my 4 years since treatment ended for stage 3A.

Best wishes

Liz

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    AmyD1310 said:

Update

Hey all! 

Just a quick update. My oncologist told me he would prefer I had a Picc line rather than a port. I get my first one put in on the 16th, and begin chemo right after placement. I'm still very nervous, but grateful for all the kindness and support I have received from all of you! Thank you all so much!

Amy.....

It looks like you have some helpful comments here already so will just add my wishes for smooth sailing ahead! 

I did have a port placed and actually kept it in for a few years as I was dx with breast cancer not long after treatment for anal cancer over 5 years ago....(not related to each other btw) I had the port taken out when done and had never had a problem. Then last year I had a recurrance and once again a port.....still do, and again no problems.

That being said, my husband had a Picc Line for cancer treatment 6 years ago and he too had no problems. He needed it for several months but I learned how to flush it for him at home easily. He wore a stretchy fabric sleeve over it so it would not catch on things when not being used, and either bathed or used a hand held shower to keep from soaking it when washing. (you may want to consider a hand held shower attatchment as an easier way to soothe and wash the tender irritated anal/pelvic area during treatment anyhow)

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you move forward.

katheryn

• tete1715
    tete1715 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Wenjaim10 said:

Hi Amy. I was diagnosed with

Hi Amy. I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma anal canal on October 17, 2016, I saw my oncologist on the 19th and had my port placed on the 21st, PET/CT scan the 25th, MRI on the 26th, and chemo and radiation started the 31St. It was quite the couple of weeks. The Port placement was no big deal, except it hurt to lay on that side or stomach for about a week. I had 2 rounds of chemo each lasting 5 days and 4 weeks apart. The radiation was Monday through Friday for 31 sessions. I had very few side effects except for the burning in my lower region and very little nausea during the second round of chemo. I still have my hair, and I am healing. I finished everything on December 4 and had a repeat MRI last Friday. When I was first diagnosed, the tumor measured 6.7x2.9x4.5.My MRI Friday showed favorable interval response to therapy with considerable shrinkage of the mass. The mass couldn't be measured because of inflammation due to the radiation, which I knew. I am ecstatic and amazed and so thankful. I'm 45 years old,my only daughter is almost 23 and going to be married this July. I am confident that I  will be there and will be there to watch my grandkids grow up when I have them. I totally believe in positive thinking and prayer. I know this is scary, but you have to remain positive and be strong. That's how you will get through it. I am here if you have questions or you just want to vent. Remember none of the side effects are important right now, you'll get through it. Concentrate on getting better and living! 

Wendi

I would like to vent

I would like to vent

• Phoebesnow
    Phoebesnow Member Posts: 600 Member
    edited May 2017 #16
    Options
    Picc line,

No troubles, never uncomfortable.

• ginatom
    ginatom Member Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    mp327 said:

Amy

I was treated way back in 2008 and had a port.  I don't recall how far ahead of my treatment I had the procedure, but I do know that I had no problems whatsoever with my port.  It seemed to work like a charm and was removed about 3 months after my treatment ended.  During treatment, the port was flushed weekly.  The placement and removal procedures were done under twilight anesthesia and were no big deal.  I did have some discomfort with both, but I wouldn't describe it as pain.

I'm glad you are now staged and that your tumor is stage 1.  Your chances of complete blasting away of the cancer are very high.  I was right on the fence between stage 1 and 2 and I'm here over 8 years later.  I received two rounds of chemo with Mitomycin and 5 Fluorouracil and 30 radiation treatments.  Issues I dealt with during treatment included extreme fatigue, slight nausea, loss of appetite, mouth sores, partial hair loss, severe diarrhea, and pain with bowel movements and urination.  That all said, there are lots of things that can help with the nausea, mouth sores and pain.  I urge you to discuss all of these possible side effects with your doctor(s) ahead of time and get your arsenal of medications at the ready if and when you need them. 

As for nausea, I hope your doctor will give you an antiemetic for that.  The best advice I can give you is to take it at the first onset of queasiness.  Also, I carried saltine crackers and hard candy with me everywhere in the event nausea hit me all of a sudden.  Mouth sores may be avoided by having ice chips to put in your mouth during chemo infusion.  If you get mouth sores or thrush, your doctor may give you a prescription for a solution called Magic Mouthwash.  It is kind of nasty to use, but effective.  Use a soft tooth brush, along with Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash.  For diarrhea, Imodium is usually the first line of attack, but sometimes a prescription med is needed, such as Lomotil.  Having pain medication on hand is a must.  Please do not do what I did, as I avoided taking enough of it since I was driving myself most days to treatment.  Find someone to drive you so that you can take the medication as prescribed and stay on top of the pain.  If you get relief, do not stop taking the meds, as once the pain returns, it will be harder to control.

As for eating, I tried to eat healthy in the beginning.  However, as my appetite declined, I found that most things did not sound good.  I had a discussion with my oncologist about what to eat and his advice was to eat whatever I could get down.  It was difficult to eat anything towards the end of my treatment.  I lost some weight and when I got down to 93 pounds, my doctor threatened to put me in the hospital for IV nutrition.  I had to really force myself to eat, but managed to avoid hospitalization.  I do not know how much you weigh, but if you are on the slim side, you may want to increase your calorie intake while you are feeling good and do it with nutritional foods to give your body the best chance at staving off some of the common side effects.  I would recommend trying to get some protein with each meal or snack during treatment, as it promotes healing.

When any side effect comes on, make sure to mention it to your doctor(s), no matter how insignificant it might seem.  As your body becomes weaker from the treatment, you cannot fight off things like you can when healthy.  Also, this is flu and cold season, so avoid people who may be sick and use caution when going out in public.  Some people even wear a surgical mask, as to avoid germs.  Carry hand sanitizer with you.  I'm not a germaphobe, but I think during treatment we cannot be too cautious.

I wish you all the best as you take this journey.  It will not be fun, but you will make it to the finish line.  If you have questions or concerns, we are here for you. 

Thanks for all this!  I'm

Thanks for all this!  I'm getting a port in two days, 5/18/17, and will likely FINALLY begin the treatment 5/29.  Not looking forward to any of it, but I've copied and pasted all the tips I've found here, and I know they're going to be helpful.  I'm getting impatient but also appreciating everything right now.  I'm increasing exercise now, trying to get myself into ketosis before the treatment begins, and plan a small fast for the day or two before.  I think I may include some ozone therapy and some hyperbaric oxygen therapy, and I'm hoping they will help.

I have a fistula, and my med onc yesterday mentioned twice about the risk of infection in the fistula canal.  He even mentioned C. Diff twice, which kinda freaked me out.  He also brought up the possibility of having the temporary ostomy, but I think we're going ahead without it, and I'll just pay close attention to the possibility of infection and take more turmeric and maybe some oregano for as long as I can keep stuff down.

Thank you everyone!  And I'm thinking of you all, many times throughout each day, and hoping for as cool and calm a ride as possible for you all. (US all).

Love, Jeana

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    edited May 2017 #18
    Options
    Picc Line

i was happy to have a new picc line before each round of chemo. It worked well and during the non chemo weeks, I had no worries.