Neoadjuvant chemo effectiveness

Krithi
Krithi Member Posts: 3
edited December 2016 in Ovarian Cancer #1

My mom is diagnosed with ovarian 3c (we are still in shock coz she's supposed to be the healthiest & fittest in the family) is advised 3 chemo-surgery-chemo.Now she's done with first chemo & her stomach is still distended. Anyone with Neoadjuvant chemo had this experience? Did the tumour start shrinking from first chemo itself or ? Any experiences on Neoadjuvant chemo will be helpful for my mom..she's 42, after 1st chemo,had side effects for 3 days, had low counts on 10th day cbp, recovering now, active so far.but im worried about the distended abdomen (before start of chemo..there was mild ascitis)Any one had weight gain during 1st chemo itself? She's eating more to pick up her blood levels to normal before her next chemo.is that ok?

Comments

• LorettaMarshall
    LorettaMarshall Member Posts: 662 Member
    Krithi~Mom's symptoms R not unusual for OC~see references Below

Dear Krithi

Obviously we Ovarian cancer patients dread reading about yet another woman being diagnosed with this cancer.  And as is so often the case, it is in the advanced stages before it is discovered.  We wish there would be some type of testing that would give us a clue so that if we actually had this cancer developing, it could be more easily treated.  Sometimes it is a member of the family that seeks more information than the person with the actual cancer.  I’ve met many in my experience with cancer, some of the patients do NOT want to know anything, and never ask any questions.  I am not one of those.  I want to know as much as I can about my cancer.  And below you will find some links that will give you more insight into what Ovarian Cancer entails.  It will answer your questions about ascites.

Ascites is a fluid buildup that is common, along with bloating and are symptoms of Ovarian cancer, as you will read.  Side effects will vary, depending on the type of chemo, and each individual responds differently.  However, there will be side effects.  And my own cancer has followed the treatment line of neoadjuvant chemo, then surgery, and more chemo.  So that is normal as well. 

While you didn’t mention the exact surgery anticipated, mine was Cytoreductive Surgery in which all non-essential organs were removed.  These are places where the cancer naturally tends to spread.  In my case, previously my uterus and appendix were removed, but during the CRS, my spleen, gallbladder, ovaries, fallopian tubes, omentum and sections of my intestines were removed.  So as for me, I was happy to have as many potential areas that the cancer might spread to be removed.  My theory is “better to be safe as possible than sorry!”

As for your question about the tumor shrinking on the first chemo session, that will remain to be determined.  My regimen has been a 6-treatment regimen—one every 3 weeks of Carboplatin and Paclitaxel (Taxol).  My oncologist likes to conduct a CT scan after the third treatment to check the effectiveness of the treatments or lack thereof.  If no progress has been made, then the drug will be changed.  But these two drugs are commonly prescribed as a first line of “attack.”  Also during my treatments, my tumor marker CA-125 is checked on a regular basis.  For some ladies the number is really high, while for others it is low, and yet they will both have the same stage of cancer.  However, this is a factor that does indicate the presence of a cancer progressing or decreasing overtime. 

Once a fellow wrote to find out what might be helpful tips for his mother who was about to start chemo, so the letter I wrote to him will be in part of the references below.  Needless to say, I’m sorry for your mom’s diagnosis, and for you as a daughter.  There are special stresses on a caregiver as well.  But I applaud you for writing to learn from others’ experiences, and I’m sure you will hear from them as well.  

Love Loretta,

Peritoneal Carcinomatosis/Ovarian Cancer Stage IV

1.      http://csn.cancer.org/node/301646

My letter to “Brian” re chemo treatments

2.   https://www.ovationsforthecure.org/aware/aware_facts.php

“…symptoms of ovarian cancer

What makes ovarian cancer so unspeakably dangerous is that it is hardest to detect in its early stages. Sadly, only about 19% of ovarian cancer cases are diagnosed before the cancer has spread outside of the ovaries when the disease is most responsive to treatment. 

To complicate matters, the ovaries are tiny organs buried deep within the abdomen, making the symptoms originating from them all the more difficult to detect and all the more likely to be confused for something far less serious. The more progressed the disease, the more pronounced the symptoms are likely to be.

The most common symptoms include:

•  Bloating 
    • Pelvic or abdominal pain 

• Trouble eating or feeling full quickly 

• Urinary urgency or frequency

Although these symptoms can also be indicative of benign conditions, they can suggest the presence of cancers in other organs. Symptoms that are out of the ordinary for you and that persist almost daily for 2 weeks or more should be brought to the immediate attention of your gynecologist.

Additional symptoms of ovarian cancer, which can also be symptoms of other conditions, include:

•  Upset stomach 
    • Back pain 

• Pain during sex 

• Constipation 

• Menstrual changes

• Unexplained changes in bowel habits

• Unexplained weight gain or weight loss

• Ongoing unusual fatigue…

Stages of ovarian cancer

Ovarian cancer is classified in chronological stages I through IV. Each stage can then be further classified into sub-categories. Should you be diagnosed with ovarian cancer, your doctor will be your best resource when it comes to understanding the full categorization and classification of your cancer.

The following chart provides an overview of the four basic stages of ovarian cancer:

•  Stage I. Ovarian cancer is confined to one or both ovaries.
    • Stage II. Ovarian cancer has spread to other locations in the pelvis, such as the uterus or fallopian tubes.

• Stage III. Ovarian cancer has spread to the lining of the abdomen (peritoneum) or to the lymph nodes within the abdomen. This is the most common stage of disease identified at the time of diagnosis.

• Stage IV. Ovarian cancer has spread to organs beyond the abdomen.”

All statistics and facts are compiled from the American Cancer Society and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

3.   http://www.healthline.com/health/ovarian-cancer

What Do You Want to Know About Ovarian Cancer?

4.   http://www.emedicinehealth.com/ascites/article_em.htm

“ …What Is Ascites? Definition

The organs of the abdomen are contained in a sac or membrane called the peritoneum. Normally the peritoneal cavity contains only a small amount of fluid, although in women this can vary (by 20ml, or less than an ounce) depending on the menstrual cycle. "Ascites is the term used to denote increased fluid in the peritoneal cavity, a situation that is not normal.

There are a variety of diseases that can cause the fluid to accumulate and the reasons that the ascites occurs may be different for each disease. Cancer that spreads to the peritoneum can cause direct leakage of fluid, while other illnesses cause an excess accumulation of water and sodium in the body. This fluid can eventually leak into the peritoneal cavity…”

5.   http://chemocare.com/

(Krithi – This is a site that explains in detail the different types of chemotherapy drugs administered for different types of cancer.  You didn’t mention the specific drugs, but you can easily find more information here about the drug itself.  It also lists side effects and how to cope with them as much as is possible.  We are all going to have some type of side effects, but the severity of them differs with each patient.)

6.   https://www.oncolink.org/cancers/gynecologic/ovarian-cancer/all-about-ovarian-cancer

“All About Ovarian Cancer…”

7.   http://es.oncolink.org/oncopilot/

“OncoPilot: Navigating the Cancer Journey

This guide has been developed to give you suggestions on ways to make a new diagnosis of cancer easier and to help you make the best decisions during this emotional time. It is important for the patient to become an active member of his or her healthcare team…”

8.  http://www.medicinenet.com/ca_125/article.htm#what_is_ca_125_test_what_is_a_tumor_marker

CA-125 Tumor marker info

____________________End of references_________________

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Ascites

You say that she had mild ascites.  The ascites may still be accumulating.  Has she had an ultrasound to identify whether she has more?  If this is the cause and if it continues to accumulate, it can be drained, if it is causing her discomfort. which would give her immediate relief.  Evenutally, the chemo should cause the production of ascites to stop.  

• Krithi

Krithi~Mom's symptoms R not unusual for OC~see references Below

Dear Krithi

Obviously we Ovarian cancer patients dread reading about yet another woman being diagnosed with this cancer.  And as is so often the case, it is in the advanced stages before it is discovered.  We wish there would be some type of testing that would give us a clue so that if we actually had this cancer developing, it could be more easily treated.  Sometimes it is a member of the family that seeks more information than the person with the actual cancer.  I’ve met many in my experience with cancer, some of the patients do NOT want to know anything, and never ask any questions.  I am not one of those.  I want to know as much as I can about my cancer.  And below you will find some links that will give you more insight into what Ovarian Cancer entails.  It will answer your questions about ascites.

Ascites is a fluid buildup that is common, along with bloating and are symptoms of Ovarian cancer, as you will read.  Side effects will vary, depending on the type of chemo, and each individual responds differently.  However, there will be side effects.  And my own cancer has followed the treatment line of neoadjuvant chemo, then surgery, and more chemo.  So that is normal as well. 

While you didn’t mention the exact surgery anticipated, mine was Cytoreductive Surgery in which all non-essential organs were removed.  These are places where the cancer naturally tends to spread.  In my case, previously my uterus and appendix were removed, but during the CRS, my spleen, gallbladder, ovaries, fallopian tubes, omentum and sections of my intestines were removed.  So as for me, I was happy to have as many potential areas that the cancer might spread to be removed.  My theory is “better to be safe as possible than sorry!”

As for your question about the tumor shrinking on the first chemo session, that will remain to be determined.  My regimen has been a 6-treatment regimen—one every 3 weeks of Carboplatin and Paclitaxel (Taxol).  My oncologist likes to conduct a CT scan after the third treatment to check the effectiveness of the treatments or lack thereof.  If no progress has been made, then the drug will be changed.  But these two drugs are commonly prescribed as a first line of “attack.”  Also during my treatments, my tumor marker CA-125 is checked on a regular basis.  For some ladies the number is really high, while for others it is low, and yet they will both have the same stage of cancer.  However, this is a factor that does indicate the presence of a cancer progressing or decreasing overtime. 

Once a fellow wrote to find out what might be helpful tips for his mother who was about to start chemo, so the letter I wrote to him will be in part of the references below.  Needless to say, I’m sorry for your mom’s diagnosis, and for you as a daughter.  There are special stresses on a caregiver as well.  But I applaud you for writing to learn from others’ experiences, and I’m sure you will hear from them as well.  

Love Loretta,

Peritoneal Carcinomatosis/Ovarian Cancer Stage IV

1.      http://csn.cancer.org/node/301646

My letter to “Brian” re chemo treatments

2.   https://www.ovationsforthecure.org/aware/aware_facts.php

“…symptoms of ovarian cancer

What makes ovarian cancer so unspeakably dangerous is that it is hardest to detect in its early stages. Sadly, only about 19% of ovarian cancer cases are diagnosed before the cancer has spread outside of the ovaries when the disease is most responsive to treatment. 

To complicate matters, the ovaries are tiny organs buried deep within the abdomen, making the symptoms originating from them all the more difficult to detect and all the more likely to be confused for something far less serious. The more progressed the disease, the more pronounced the symptoms are likely to be.

The most common symptoms include:

•  Bloating 
    • Pelvic or abdominal pain 

• Trouble eating or feeling full quickly 

• Urinary urgency or frequency

Although these symptoms can also be indicative of benign conditions, they can suggest the presence of cancers in other organs. Symptoms that are out of the ordinary for you and that persist almost daily for 2 weeks or more should be brought to the immediate attention of your gynecologist.

Additional symptoms of ovarian cancer, which can also be symptoms of other conditions, include:

•  Upset stomach 
    • Back pain 

• Pain during sex 

• Constipation 

• Menstrual changes

• Unexplained changes in bowel habits

• Unexplained weight gain or weight loss

• Ongoing unusual fatigue…

Stages of ovarian cancer

Ovarian cancer is classified in chronological stages I through IV. Each stage can then be further classified into sub-categories. Should you be diagnosed with ovarian cancer, your doctor will be your best resource when it comes to understanding the full categorization and classification of your cancer.

The following chart provides an overview of the four basic stages of ovarian cancer:

•  Stage I. Ovarian cancer is confined to one or both ovaries.
    • Stage II. Ovarian cancer has spread to other locations in the pelvis, such as the uterus or fallopian tubes.

• Stage III. Ovarian cancer has spread to the lining of the abdomen (peritoneum) or to the lymph nodes within the abdomen. This is the most common stage of disease identified at the time of diagnosis.

• Stage IV. Ovarian cancer has spread to organs beyond the abdomen.”

All statistics and facts are compiled from the American Cancer Society and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

3.   http://www.healthline.com/health/ovarian-cancer

What Do You Want to Know About Ovarian Cancer?

4.   http://www.emedicinehealth.com/ascites/article_em.htm

“ …What Is Ascites? Definition

The organs of the abdomen are contained in a sac or membrane called the peritoneum. Normally the peritoneal cavity contains only a small amount of fluid, although in women this can vary (by 20ml, or less than an ounce) depending on the menstrual cycle. "Ascites is the term used to denote increased fluid in the peritoneal cavity, a situation that is not normal.

There are a variety of diseases that can cause the fluid to accumulate and the reasons that the ascites occurs may be different for each disease. Cancer that spreads to the peritoneum can cause direct leakage of fluid, while other illnesses cause an excess accumulation of water and sodium in the body. This fluid can eventually leak into the peritoneal cavity…”

5.   http://chemocare.com/

(Krithi – This is a site that explains in detail the different types of chemotherapy drugs administered for different types of cancer.  You didn’t mention the specific drugs, but you can easily find more information here about the drug itself.  It also lists side effects and how to cope with them as much as is possible.  We are all going to have some type of side effects, but the severity of them differs with each patient.)

6.   https://www.oncolink.org/cancers/gynecologic/ovarian-cancer/all-about-ovarian-cancer

“All About Ovarian Cancer…”

7.   http://es.oncolink.org/oncopilot/

“OncoPilot: Navigating the Cancer Journey

This guide has been developed to give you suggestions on ways to make a new diagnosis of cancer easier and to help you make the best decisions during this emotional time. It is important for the patient to become an active member of his or her healthcare team…”

8.  http://www.medicinenet.com/ca_125/article.htm#what_is_ca_125_test_what_is_a_tumor_marker

CA-125 Tumor marker info

____________________End of references_________________

Thank you so much Loretta

Thank you so much Loretta Marshall.It's really sweet of you to put all the links..you r an inspiration.I always ask god why coz' she's so young & yes it is cytoreductive surgery.

• Krithi
    Yes ultrasound to find out

Yes ultrasound to find out the amount of fluid was done & its mild@Tethys41

• Andrea123
    Andrea123 Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2017 #6
    So far I have two more chemo

So far I have two more chemo to go. The thing that I have experienced is a huge fatigue and my appetite goes from being really hungry to not wanting to eat. Everytime I tell the doctor about any side effects he reports that almost every thing is normal. But the thing that they want people to watch out for is when their legs hurt to watch for blood clots. that is all that I have been told. And I guess a blood clot feels like a burning. But thank God I have not had any of this. I wish your mother well.