Freaking out. Could use a friend.

AmyD1310
AmyD1310 Member Posts: 59
edited December 2016 in Anal Cancer #1

Hey all. I had my first ct scan this morning and won't receive results until Tuesday morning at the earliest. I keep trying to replay the doctors words in my head, "caught it early, 3 cm, didn't feel lymph nodes, not a large cancer..." But I can't help but freak out because I haven't  gotten the actual scan results. As I mentioned in a previous post, I've had a strange sensation on my right side (at times it's inder my rib cage, at times its on my side, it moves up to my right shoulder, and at other times it's in my back, and it isn't constant),  not that any of you are psychic or know what my scan says, but can anyone guess how likely what I'm feeling is metastasis? It's been almost 6 days with this sensation. Please help me to stop going nuts! TIA!

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Amy1310

I do not know the magic words that will calm your fears and anxiety.  I can only tell you that you need to hang on the words of your doctors who told you that your cancer was caught early and that physical exam did not reveal any swollen lymph nodes.  I understand the fear of the unknown all too well, but getting freaked out about it is not going to help in any way.  I hope you will find some way to distract yourself from this worry over the weekend and until you get those CT results.  Go somewhere you enjoy, spend time with family/friends, go to a movie, or book a massage.  Enter the new year with hope, faith and encouragement that this is all going to turn out okay.  I truly believe that it will.  Hugs!

Martha

• AmyD1310
    AmyD1310 Member Posts: 59
    edited December 2016 #3
    Martha

Martha,

Yoi have had such kind words to say. I am doing my best to cling to what the doctor has said and pray that he wasn't wrong somehow. Thank you for responding. I don't think there are any magic words to say. I won't have relief unless I hear "good " news regarding my scan. Even then, I know I will have along tough road ahead. I appreciate you and everyone who has responded with kindness.

• lab guy
    lab guy Member Posts: 27
    edited December 2016 #4
    life is a journey, not a destination

Amy, as I said before your mind always takes you to the worst. Doctors are very cautious about what they tell you, so I would take their words of encouragement as a good sign. I had my pet scan the weekend of labor day so I get the anxiety of the wait. Enjoy your New Years! Steve

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited December 2016 #5
    Amy.....

Oh how sometimes I wish I was psychic, then other times I think I'd rather not know some things that I do!

Anyhow, its been over 5 1/2 years since my initial dx and I remember the waiting game all too well. I've since played it many times and its still so difficult. We are all different so what one feels is not often what another does, but, if its any help, over the years I've had a couple non-specific twinges of pain that later proved to be nothing as well. Anxiety and stress can exaggerate anything. Since you are under current medical care try to feel secure in knowing you are doing all you can, the rest is out of your hands and have faith in the hands you're in.

Even though it takes several days to get complete scan results, someone will have taken a brief initial look at them and if anything alarming jumped out, you are usually notified right away and asked to come back for further testing. My best "psychic" guess, is that this related sensation is not worth your additional worry this weekend.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a peaceful weekend and good news next week.

katheryn

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    edited January 2017 #6
    eihtak said:

Amy.....

Oh how sometimes I wish I was psychic, then other times I think I'd rather not know some things that I do!

Anyhow, its been over 5 1/2 years since my initial dx and I remember the waiting game all too well. I've since played it many times and its still so difficult. We are all different so what one feels is not often what another does, but, if its any help, over the years I've had a couple non-specific twinges of pain that later proved to be nothing as well. Anxiety and stress can exaggerate anything. Since you are under current medical care try to feel secure in knowing you are doing all you can, the rest is out of your hands and have faith in the hands you're in.

Even though it takes several days to get complete scan results, someone will have taken a brief initial look at them and if anything alarming jumped out, you are usually notified right away and asked to come back for further testing. My best "psychic" guess, is that this related sensation is not worth your additional worry this weekend.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a peaceful weekend and good news next week.

katheryn

Dear Friend,

Also Greetings Everyone!

Althogh I had rectal cancer I have many friends here on the anal cancer group. I am a doctor myself and with all my medical knowledge I never believed what imagined symptoms anxiety and the nerves can create. After I was diagnosed I was feeling the cancer "spreading all over me. Felt every lymph node, had a terrible cough and weird sensations everywhere. I was convinced they were metastases. Thank god my cancer turned out to be big but localized and all these imagined sensations disappeared after treatment. I stil freak out every time I feel something strange but I learned to live with it. 

You still have to verify of course but try not to worry. Your mind can fool you!

wish you all the best.

Laz

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Laz

Hello, my friend!  It's good to see you still check in here!  I just want to thank you for the support you offer to all of us and wish you a happy and healthy New Year!

Martha

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    Stay Calm

Hi Amy,

I think that all cancer patients know the fear you are feeling right now. For me, it has been 5 years and I still feel the anxiety.  All I can say is make sure that you have the very best doctors and hospital that you can get to. It really matters when it comes to cancer. Too many of my friends stayed with their "nice doctors" close to home and they did not survive. If you have confidence in your doctors and hospital, try to deal with the anxiety as best you can. Come here and we can cheer you on! We are survivors and we really do understand. I wish I had found this board before my treatment so I had some idea of what was ahead. Fear of the unknown creates the greatest anxiety! Breathe, spend time with close family and friends, take care of yourself. Eat well, sleep, drink lots of,clean water. You can beat this!!!!!