JUST AN UPDATE

don09
don09 Member Posts: 108

Hi everyone, wishing you all a happy upcoming holiday!  Just thought I would touch base with were things are at with me since my last posting.  I have completed the second round of chemo, and needless to say I hope I will never have to another, for some reason the second round seemed a lot worse than the first, I had a lot of different side effects that didnt happen before.  I used the ice chips while being infused and it works!  No mouth sores this time which was sooooooo nice, I think perhaps the side effects are mainly a result due to the intense radiation now that I have completed 30 of them.  I have 8 more to go my skin is raw, painful, and inflammed.  I was curious how long after treatments does it take to start healling? Hope you all are doing well, and wishing you all the very best health wise.  Thank you all for all the wonderful support you have given.

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    don09

It's good to get an update from you.  I'm sorry your side effects have worsened with this second round of chemo.  However, that is the norm for most people going through this treatment, as the side effects are cumulative.  I'm sorry to say that it will probably get worse before it gets better, but hang in there.  We have all gotten through it and you will too.  My side effects worsened for a few days after my treatment was finished.  However, I'm happy to report that at the 2-week post-treatment mark, I noticed marked improvement.  Healing will not happen overnight, but you will begin to notice little improvements and steps forward.  I'm sorry you have to be going through this over the holidays, but at least you will have it over with and can begin the new year on a positive note.  Take good care.

Martha

• don09
    don09 Member Posts: 108
    mp327 said:

don09

It's good to get an update from you.  I'm sorry your side effects have worsened with this second round of chemo.  However, that is the norm for most people going through this treatment, as the side effects are cumulative.  I'm sorry to say that it will probably get worse before it gets better, but hang in there.  We have all gotten through it and you will too.  My side effects worsened for a few days after my treatment was finished.  However, I'm happy to report that at the 2-week post-treatment mark, I noticed marked improvement.  Healing will not happen overnight, but you will begin to notice little improvements and steps forward.  I'm sorry you have to be going through this over the holidays, but at least you will have it over with and can begin the new year on a positive note.  Take good care.

Martha

Thanks Martha for your

Thanks Martha for your response and support It is so encouraging to hear from such awesome people who have gone through what I have and are doing OK.  It is discouranging I must admit having to go through this during the holidays, but I like your thinking in knowing with the new year approaching I can look forward to starting anew!  Hope you have a great holiday, and thanks again for your encouragement and hope.

• mp327
    don09 said:

Thanks Martha for your

Thanks Martha for your response and support It is so encouraging to hear from such awesome people who have gone through what I have and are doing OK.  It is discouranging I must admit having to go through this during the holidays, but I like your thinking in knowing with the new year approaching I can look forward to starting anew!  Hope you have a great holiday, and thanks again for your encouragement and hope.

don09

The thing that is so great about this group is that we all understand how challenging this treatment regime is.  But I hope knowing that so many of us have been through it and are doing great will give you the encouragement you need to cross the finish line.  You can do this!  Thank you for the holiday wishes.  And just think, next year you will be recovered and looking forward to the holidays too.  A year will make a huge difference and even before them, things will be much improved for you.  I send you holiday blessings and wishes for a great year ahead!

• Wenjaim10
    Wenjaim10 Member Posts: 23
    I am 2 weeks post treatment

I am 2 weeks post treatment and my burns are finally getting better. Mine were never really bad, but bad enough. I'm very impatient, so waiting for them to heal is frustrating. I am really wanting to get off the pain meds so I can drink some beer on new years eve this Saturday. Fingers crossed. I'm having my follow-up MRI this Friday and am a bit anxious. I just really want this cancer to be gone and start 2017 cancer free. Happy New Year to you, I hope we can both start 2017 on a positive note!

Wendi

• mp327
    Wendi

I'm glad you are seeing improvement in your burns.  Like you, I was very impatient during my recovery days, but hang in there!  You will soon turn a corner and be feeling so much better.

I am curious.  Why are you having a follow-up MRI less than 3 weeks post-treatment?  That seems kind of soon to me.  Radiation can continue to work for up to 6 months, so there is bound to be lots of inflammation in the treated area.  Is there another reason for the MRI besides follow-up for the anal cancer?  At any rate, I hope you will get all good news.  Take care and best wishes to you in 2017!

• Wenjaim10
    Wenjaim10 Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2016 #7
    mp327 said:

Wendi

I'm glad you are seeing improvement in your burns.  Like you, I was very impatient during my recovery days, but hang in there!  You will soon turn a corner and be feeling so much better.

I am curious.  Why are you having a follow-up MRI less than 3 weeks post-treatment?  That seems kind of soon to me.  Radiation can continue to work for up to 6 months, so there is bound to be lots of inflammation in the treated area.  Is there another reason for the MRI besides follow-up for the anal cancer?  At any rate, I hope you will get all good news.  Take care and best wishes to you in 2017!

My doctor said it would be

My doctor said it would be fine to have the MRI now. I asked to have it before the new year and a new deductible. The nurse did say there will be inflammation and to just be prepared for that. I guess I'm just hoping it will be decreased in size. I'm beginning to think maybe I shouldn't have the MRI yet, but I'm so impatient. 

I can't wait to turn the corner to being better. I miss my job, I'm a nurse. I definitely prefer taking care of people as opposed to them taking care of me.  

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. This sight is amazing! No one understands what we are going through other than us. My nursing friends listen well but unless you've been there you can't get it completely. 

Wendi

• mp327
    edited December 2016 #8
    Wendi

It sounds like you have a good understanding of the fact that there may be some inflammation showing up on your scan and that you should not panic if it's there.  I hope you get all good news!