Daylady headed to Germany

Hi Ladies!  I apologize for not checking in more often, but I wanted to at least check in and update you as I don't think I have seen this approach on the Board before.  After my CT Scan in Aug. it was discovered I had a small spot on my liver.  My oncologist wanted to start Topotecan but after two cycles it was clear it was not working and the spot had grown slightly.  He wanted me to switch to Paclitaxel, and then made the dire prognosis that "with or without chemo, you have a year".  Well, it seems no one else agreed with that, not my naturopath, not my surgeon, and certainly not me!  I decided to take a break from chemo and agreed that we could get together, run new tests and talk again after the first of the year.  Alot has happened in the meantime.  My naturopath has started me on high dose Vit. C infusions.  Not sure if they are impacting the cancer but I feel fine.  I (independently) ran my CA125 and it had jumped from 63 to 156 so I decided to aggressively start pursuing treatment in a German cancer clinic, which are known to be the best in the world.  One of the most highly recommended is the Herzog Clinic in Germany, founded by Alexander Herzog who is literally world renowned for perfecting hyperthermia as a treatment for cancer.  He also pairs this with low dose chemo that has no side effects.  The FDA has not approved whole body hyperthermia in the US, tho there are a few cancer centers that now do local hyperthermia, but use microwave to accomplish this, which is questionable in many circles.  Anyway, I reached out to Dr. Herzog and they agreed to take my case. 

I have no faith in receiving further toxic chemo in the US.  I'm being offered Paclitaxel or Gemzar, both of which only have a 15% chance of success and many side effects.  I am also very suspicious that the recurrence I am dealing with was actually caused by the horrific reaction I had to Doxil last year.  When I bring it up to my oncologist, he just gets very quiet but I think he agrees.  The Herzog Clinic has already outlined a very rigorous three week treatment including hyperthermis, low dose chemo, and other complementary protocols.  I'm hopeful!  They handle things completely different in Germany.  Instead of assaulting you once a month, or every other week, or whatever, with high dose chemo, they treat cancer on an inpatient basis, 8 hours a day for several weeks at a time.  But typically far less side effects than in the US and much higher success rates.  And...they are set up so that your spouse can accompany you and stay in your room.  We leave on the 29th and will be back at the end of January but you can be sure I will let you all know how it goes!

In the meantime, hope you all are staying strong on your journeys, that you enjoy the holidays and that 2017 is a wonderful year for all of us.  Love you all, Helen

Comments

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    Wow Helen,

That sounds like quite the adventure.  I have heard of that Dr. and that treatment from my Naturopath- prayers will accompany you as you go seeking health and healing.  We all will be waiting for your return and wish you the safest of trips and SUCCESS.   (((HUGS))) and much love back!  <3<3

• daylady
    daylady Member Posts: 122
    P.S. Hyperthermia Explained....

I should probably provide a little input on hyperthermia.  It is a process where the body is heated to a very high level for a period of 3-5 hours.  It is in a VERY controlled and monitored situation.  Patients lose up to 11 pounds of fluid in the process so are on a constart fluid IV during the process so there is no dehydration.  Cancer cells are extremely sensitive to heat and become compromised and die off quickly.  While they are compromised, a very low dose of chemo is administered at the same time to speed the process along.  This can be done on a whole body basis as well as localized to address tumors or metastisis in a specific location.  It has been perfected in Germany which has more cancer clinics that offer this protocol than any other country.  The US is actually one of the few countries that do significant cancer treatment that DOESN'T have hyperthermia as a standard treatment.  Go figure.  Anyway, just a little info.... - Helen

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Wow

This sounds exciting.  I have heard of this but know nothing about it.  I am sending prayers for the very best results.  Hugs and prayers for safe travels and treatments that works for you.

Lou Ann

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited December 2016 #5
    Best Wishes

Good luck to you and your husband in Germany! I'm so glad you found this opportunity to attack the beast with something that holds such promise for you. Hang in there!

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    edited December 2016 #6
    Best wishes

Just adding mine to all the others.  I hope everything goes well.  I'm looking forward to hearing from you while you're away as well as the end of January when you return.

Suzanne

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    edited December 2016 #7
    Helen, I hope you have safe

Helen, I hope you have safe travels and get to the point of dancing with Mr. Ned when all of this is done. I'm glad that you found an alternative that is so promising. Take care dear Lady and please keep in touch when you can.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    edited December 2016 #8
    Prayers for your travel and

Smile

Prayers for your travel and treatment

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    Helen, there is a fairly

Helen, there is a fairly recent post on Inspire about both Herzog and Hallwang clinics in Germany. If you haven't already you may want to check it out just to see how the two compare. Both seem to help a lot of people. Good luck to you and please keep us updated on how you are doing. Kim

• takingcontrol58
    takingcontrol58 Member Posts: 272 Member
    edited December 2016 #10
    Best of luck

Helen,
    Best of luck with the treatment in Germany. I have read about the clinics in Germany- they are much more open
    to naturopathic medicine in Europe vs. the US. I wish you the best with your treatment. It's unfortunate that the
    US cancer complex refuses to incorporate naturopathic medicine with traditional western medicine in the US. Back
    in the 1800s, patients had a choice.  Today, we don't have that choice unless we visit a naturopathic doctor.

Happy Holidays!
    Takingcontrol58

• paris11
    paris11 Member Posts: 159
    Helen, You are amazing!  My

Helen, You are amazing!  My best to you.  Connie

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited December 2016 #12
    Oh Helen, this is so exciting

Oh Helen, this is so exciting.  Finally some positive news!!  I cannot wait to hear about your results.  I had a horrible reaction to my chemo and would never go through that again.  I am very interested in this treatment.  Best of luck!!!  Please keep us updated if you can.

Love,

Eldri

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    edited December 2016 #13
    Travel safe!  Please let us

Travel safe!  Please let us know how you are and how it went.  Prayers for you dear, Helen.

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Wishing you well

Helen:

Safe travels.  Hugs and prayers for you.   Let us know your update!

Kathy

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

Best of luck

Helen,
    Best of luck with the treatment in Germany. I have read about the clinics in Germany- they are much more open
    to naturopathic medicine in Europe vs. the US. I wish you the best with your treatment. It's unfortunate that the
    US cancer complex refuses to incorporate naturopathic medicine with traditional western medicine in the US. Back
    in the 1800s, patients had a choice.  Today, we don't have that choice unless we visit a naturopathic doctor.

Happy Holidays!
    Takingcontrol58

Oh, it's probably governed by health insurance

I truly believe our health care system has a lot to be desired when anything out of the ordinary comes along.  I get that people don't want to treated like lab rats and I get that safety should always come first, but sometimes (especially lately - oops, this is a political comment) I wonder if it's such a good thing to be bound by so may rules and regulations that are prohibitive to so many people yet protect others.  Sigh.

You go, Helen! 

Suzanne

PS.  I have no answers and don't know enough to probably even make this comment - it's just how I feel.