Todays another day

2»

Comments

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    edited December 2016 #22
    I agree with all of the input

I agree with all of the input. And, I'm so sorry you had to go through that!

LouAnn - you could not have said it better. Between the surgery, 3 month check ups and brachy.... who has any modesty left?! Not to mention the discussions on sexual activity, pain 'down there' and damage to our tissue inside. Oh well, a small price to pay to live.

Tich, I hope you get the answers you need and figure out what is causing the bleeding. I'm glad to see you posting and hope you come back soon and let us know how you are doing.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• cindy0519
    cindy0519 Member Posts: 173
    edited December 2016 #23
    Colonoscopy

Tichondria - So sorry you had such a horrible experience with the colonscopy procedure.  I just had one done myself a couple weeks ago and you are correct GoLyte is the devil).  Just to assure you that you are correct in thinking this was not handled properly - I was given Fentanyl during my procedure and can vaguely recall them talking but never felt anything during the procedure itself.  I agree with others about reporting it.

The fear of any test is VERY real!  I have two cancers (breast Stage II and UPSC Stage IIIC1) that were diagnosed with four months of each other and I was a mess even thinking about the colonoscopy.  I'm glad I had it done because I did have two polyps removed (a 7mm sessiel serrated polyp) from the proximal traverse colon and a 14mm tublar adenoma with high grade grandular dysplasia).  Both are precanerous so it will be vital to have routine colonoscopies now to watch for regrowth and to hopefully prevent colon cancer being added to the mix.

As many others have said... NO cancer is a small cancer! Any single one can take your life if your not diligent and aware.  The fear helps to keep us diligent and more aware I think ;) 

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Colonoscopy

First, I'm happy it was all clear, but you did not have a normal experience and I'm happy you are reporting this.  This happened to one of my best friends who has had numerous colonoscopies because of a strong family history and she has had some polyps removed.  All had been well on previous colonoscopies  - until her last one.  The nurse had a bad time finding a vein (sound familiar?) and my friend could SEE that the IV was not dripping AND she was wide awake.  They did both an endoscopy which she had a hard time with and then came the colonoscopy.  She was NOT sedated, yet the doctor went ahead and tried to do the procedure.  Finally, she screamed enough that he did stop.  She filed a complaint with the medical group he works for.  She has no idea what happened to him or the nurse, but the complaint folks followed up with her via phone calls to assure her that it had been filed and was being looked into.  If these incidents are not reported, they will continue to happen and no one will even think there is a problem, they'll just think that some people tolerate the procedure better than others. I really don't think that's the case.   My experience (other than the dreaded prep) is I remember nothing, I felt nothing, and on and on.  Your experience was NOT normal. 

Suzanne

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    edited December 2016 #25
    Type One endometrial cancer

I, too, had low grade, early stage endo cancer (the garden variety kind).  I was followed for 5 years by my gynecologic oncologist who really did nothing other than chat and perform a pelvic exam.  I felt very safe with him overseeing me.  For about a year, the gyn/oncology service was short staffed and he had me examined by his nurse practitioner and I was perfectly fine with that because I knew sort of that he was overseeing everything.  At that time, the group was still doing Pap smears but toward the end of my 5 years, they stopped doing them altogether - just exams.  Over time, he recruited more physicians and he was back seeing me through to the end of 5 years.  I do know of others with our type of cancer who have been referred back to regular gynecologists.  I do think that they are busy with women who have other gyn cancers and who really need their expertise.  I think he may have continued to follow me because I also had breast cancer and maybe something somewhere was off with me, but I don't know.  I also had a rather large tumor that had invaded less than half, but close to half of my uterine wall, and maybe he just wanted to be sure I did ok.  Because of that he removed lymph nodes which were clear, but who knows what was going on in the back of his mind?    I think as long as you have a gynecologist you are comfortable with and trust and who knows what to look for and/or feel and one who will refer you back should any problem be seen on the exam, it's ok for Stage 1, Grade 1 cancers like mine and  it sounds like yours is similar.  But you should be able to have that conversation with your gynoncologist and you should both feel ok about it.  It's very easy for me to say this in hindsight now that it's been 6 1/2 years!  Good luck and I hope you can find your comfort zone with all of this.

Suzanne

• txtrisha55
    txtrisha55 Member Posts: 693 Member
    Do not feel bad for venting,

Do not feel bad for venting, we all have done and you are entitled to your feelings.  No one on this site will ever fault you for feeling the way you do.  We are all here to lift each other up and support each other.  Some ladies are on the site more than others but every time I come here after being a way for awhile the feeling of support and love from the ladies is still here.  I agree about that crap they make you drink it is really bad.  My colonoscopy was 5 years ago and was clean.  Funny just 5 months later I was found to have uterine cancer.  No one even if overweight should be made to feel this way.  I am overweight myself and my colonoscopy was done with care adn lots of meds as I did not feel anything and was semi asleep could not even hear them talking which is problaby a good thing.  You should file the complaint against the doctor and the place that did the procedure.  I have a friend I work with that was found to have stage 1 overian cancer.  She had 3 chemo treatments but had an allergic reaction to Taxol and they stopped at 3.  That was 5 years ago and she is doing fine.  So sometimes no treatment is ok.  If you feel that you need to, get all your reports and go to another gyn onc for a second opioion.  

But remember this site, these ladies are here for you for support and understanding and help when needed. trish