26 Year Old Female diagnosed with Melanoma

I was just diagnosed with Stage 1 Melanoma in my right lower eyelid. I am extremely upset and have always taken care of my skin. It's very scary being diagnosed so young. I see my first head and neck oncologist this Thursday (12/15) and am extremely nervous. I have a couple questions for anyone who has or has dealt with Melanoma.  

Support and encouragement would also be helpful too. Smile

-What should I do to prepare for my appointment? 

-Has anyone had MOHs surgery on their face?

-How did your scar turn out?

-How are you doing now? 

-What measures do you take now to proctect yourself from the sun?

Sending positive vibes to everyone on here!

Comments

• MJG1
    MJG1 Member Posts: 137 Member
    edited December 2016 #2
    MELANOMA

I am so sorry about your diagnosis.  If you go back to the discussion board again and search under skin cancer I think you will definitely find some answers to your questions.  Even though your cancer is on your head it will instead be considered skin cancer.  Best of luck to you for complete and total healing.

Margi Greene

St. Charles, MO

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    There are a few people on here....

who have had MOH's surgery....we tend to get SCC of the skin (or I do, anyway)....Anyway, I know folks have fits when the surgery is first done, only to see down the road it really doesn't leave much of a scar.  I quit being a sun bather in my 50's....and use block every where that shows now.  Wish I would have done this earlier....oh wait....when I was a bathing beauty, we used aluminum foil, iodine and baby oil....nobody ever heard of sun block.  LOL

You're going to be ok, and you're going to look good, too.....Melanoma isn't anything to mess with, and I'm SO glad they found it early!! 

p

• JillyBean1120
    JillyBean1120 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2016 #4
    MJG1 said:

MELANOMA

I am so sorry about your diagnosis.  If you go back to the discussion board again and search under skin cancer I think you will definitely find some answers to your questions.  Even though your cancer is on your head it will instead be considered skin cancer.  Best of luck to you for complete and total healing.

Margi Greene

St. Charles, MO

Thanks for your reply. I did

Thanks for your reply. I did post in Skin Cancer as well. Thanks for your positive thoughts!

• JillyBean1120
    JillyBean1120 Member Posts: 4

There are a few people on here....

who have had MOH's surgery....we tend to get SCC of the skin (or I do, anyway)....Anyway, I know folks have fits when the surgery is first done, only to see down the road it really doesn't leave much of a scar.  I quit being a sun bather in my 50's....and use block every where that shows now.  Wish I would have done this earlier....oh wait....when I was a bathing beauty, we used aluminum foil, iodine and baby oil....nobody ever heard of sun block.  LOL

You're going to be ok, and you're going to look good, too.....Melanoma isn't anything to mess with, and I'm SO glad they found it early!! 

p

Thank You, P!

You are very sweet. Thank you for your response and kind words. Looking at your photo, your skin looks amazing!!! I just got SPF 75 and purchased make-up with SPF in it as well. :-)

• denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    melanoma

HI BilllieJean, I had melanoma on my arm a couple of years ago and the doctor said it was superficial and only in the skin not under it, he removed it and sent to biopsy came back as not even stageable just grade 1 the biopsy removed it all and all is well. If yours is not big and bulky, which if it were it would certainly have been looked at a long time ago being on the eyelid. Sounds like surface melanoma to me, but make sure you move pretty quick with it.

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Melanoma

Hi Jilly, sorry to hear that because you are so young, but don’t let it get you down and depressed. Being young you have a very good fighting chance of getting through this and living a normal life. My brother had the same thing when he was about 28, he is now 75 so you see you can fight it and win.

Tim

• jtl
    jtl Member Posts: 456
    I had it

I had melanoma 50 years ago.  Mole on the top of my foot, had a large section of skin and tissue remove along with all my lymph nodes on that side.  Believe it or not you can barely see a scar and yours is going to be less invasive than mine was. Best wishes.