Mandibular Sarcoma Removal and Reconstruction

Options

Left Mandibular Sarcoma Removal and Recontruction

New

Hello, I was treated for Nasopharyngeal Cancer about 13 years ago. I lost most of my Salivary Gland usage and taste was ruin for 2 years only. Taste came back. I relied with constant water and Biotene's Moisterizing Gel. My nasal cavity was also very dry creating blockages. I also used Neil Med to rinse in the mornings and combined saline solution with Ponaris which help sooth the canal and keep it moist.

About a year ago I started having soreness in my left lower jaw(Mandible). Eventually it got to a point where I was having trouble opening my mouth.Cheek biteing and soreness in the jaw was making it very difficult to eat. Relied on drinks and ground foods. At this point I was beginng to think Cancer. I went to Fox Chase Cancer Center and had them check me out. After 2 scans they still needed to do a biopsy to know for sure. At that point I got the all clear. I was told to take 30 HBOT treatments for the surgery I had just had. Couldn't do the HBOT before because if it was cancer the HBOT could increase the growth.

After the HBOT treatments I went to see a oral maxillofacial surgeon. They diagnosed me with Osteoradionecrosis. The Jaw bone was dying from the previous radiation damage 12 years ago. It took 2 additional surgeries and 30 more HBOT and now ended up with an Mandibular Sarcoma. I am scheduled to have my Left Mandible removed and reconstructed using my Fibula(least used leg bone). I am scheduled on 12/14/2016 ARE THERE ANY PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT HAVE HAD A MANDIBULAR JAW REMOVAL AND RECONSTRUCTION? i'D LIKE TO HEAR SOME SUCCESS STORIES.

Comments

• traceyd1
    traceyd1 Member Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My husband had this surgery

My husband had this surgery for sarcoma of the right mandible almost 5 years ago.  He is doing great!  If you didn't know he had the surgery, you'd never be able to tell.  He had some complications with his first reconstruction due to radiation damage (poor blood flow 2 days after the removal), and they had to re-do his using his left fibula.  Due to these complications he was in ICU for a few days longer than orignially planned.  He required physical therapy afterward for a couple of months, had a temporary trach, and a PEG tube for a couple of months.  He was back to work full time three months after his surgery.  He had to be completely NPO for about a month after surgery, but now eats most anything.  He does have swallowing problems with white meat chicken and beef, but that is due to the radiation.  Two years ago he received dental implants.  He has no restrictions and lives his life to the fullest.  If you would like to private message me, I can put you in contact with him directly and he can talk to you more about it.  Good Luck and God Bless!

• NasoLash
    NasoLash Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2016 #3
    Options

Thank you for sharing that with me. It's good to hear that there is hope I can live normally after this surgery. I'm not sure what NPO for a month after surgery is. I would like to talk further about what to expect. I had trouble eating chicken and beef before this problem in my jaw from my previous treatments for the Nasophyrngeal Cancer. Let me know the best way to reach you and we can talk. Thanks Again,

Nasolash

• traceyd1
    edited December 2016 #4
    Options
    NasoLash said:

Thank you for sharing that with me. It's good to hear that there is hope I can live normally after this surgery. I'm not sure what NPO for a month after surgery is. I would like to talk further about what to expect. I had trouble eating chicken and beef before this problem in my jaw from my previous treatments for the Nasophyrngeal Cancer. Let me know the best way to reach you and we can talk. Thanks Again,

Nasolash

I am going to try to email

I am going to try to email you my contact information.  NPO means he couldn't have anything by mouth.  The doctors were guarding against infection.  The recovery wasn't easy, but was manageable with medication.  He was able to go white water rafting and zip lining the following year!  

• georgiasurfer
    georgiasurfer Member Posts: 63 Member
    edited December 2016 #5
    Options
    upper too?

My husband may be having this for his upper left jaw. Should results be comparable?  He is really suffering with severe trismus and exposed bone causing major pain. We've got to find some relief soon. Thanks. 

• traceyd1
    edited December 2016 #6
    Options

upper too?

My husband may be having this for his upper left jaw. Should results be comparable?  He is really suffering with severe trismus and exposed bone causing major pain. We've got to find some relief soon. Thanks. 

I am not sure what you should

I am not sure what you should expect for the removal of the upper jaw.  I know the speech implications may be more involved due to the importance of the palate with speech.  I wish I could be of more help.  Good luck