Drinking Alcohol after treatment

armana
armana Member Posts: 97 Member

I am a two-year survivor of stage III tonsil cancer positive for the HPV virus. I met with the head and neck surgeon last weeks and he told me that declared me cured but also told me that I should remain cautious and continue with yearly scans and regular visits for a long time. When I asked him if there is anything I should do to prevent recurrence, his response was not to ever drink alcohol. When I asked my RO about drinking alcohol during my last visit, he told me that it is ok if in moderation. I am not a big drinker, but sure enjoy a bear or two every now and then.

I like to know what everyone else in my situation have been advised by medical professionals about drinking.

Thanks

Comments

• Tonita
    Tonita Member Posts: 197 Member
    You could think of it like

You could think of it like smoking.  I had tongue cancer, I smoked.  I wish I could have a cigarette now and then but I can't.  Drinking alcohol apparently is a factor in oral cancer as well.  The bottom line is that it is your choice.  A doctor isn't going to give you the green light to participate in behavior that is thought to cause the cancer that you were just cured of.

• GavinP
    GavinP Member Posts: 118
    edited November 2016 #3
    Alcohol

Hi Armana,

I was didn't have cancer but I was pre-cancerous and I looked into a lot of different aspects or oral/oropharayngeal cancers, including possible "triggers" and causes.

I think alcohol is very much a grey area in terms oral and oropharayngeal cancer. 

We know that drinking a LOT of alcohol increases the risk of cancer so if someone is an alcholoic and they get head and neck cancer, the only safe route for them is to stop.

We also know that a lot alcohol combined with smoking VASTLY increases the risk of cancer - Both act synergistically to increase their carcinogenic effects. If someone is in that situation they should abstain from both.

But that leaves a very large grey area of people who just like to drink small amounts of alcohol sociallyanc occasionally. Maybe a couple of glasses of wine with the Sunday roast. Or a few beers with friends say once a month on a Saturday evening.

"Official" advice seems to be increasingly moving towards that which is outlined by your surgeon, which is that there is NO safe amount and everyone should abstain from alcohol forever if they don't want to raise their risk of cancer.

Personally I think that's over the top. I struggle to believe that a glass of wine with a Sunday Roast is really going to increase the risk of mouth, oropharayngeal and throat cancer.

A friend of mine who who spent 30 years giving people radiotherapy told me that much of the "official" advice Re. alcohol is silly and as long as you only drink in moderation, there will be no long term increase in the cancer risk.

A little bit of what you fancy makes life worth living. So I think you should enjoy your occasional beer and don't worry about it.

Good luck.

• cbeaz4626
    cbeaz4626 Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2016 #4
    Tonita said:

You could think of it like

You could think of it like smoking.  I had tongue cancer, I smoked.  I wish I could have a cigarette now and then but I can't.  Drinking alcohol apparently is a factor in oral cancer as well.  The bottom line is that it is your choice.  A doctor isn't going to give you the green light to participate in behavior that is thought to cause the cancer that you were just cured of.

tongue cancer

Do you still have the tongue cancer or is it gone?  I dont meet alot of people that have had it.  I was diagnosed this year.  Finished chemo/radiation in August and had Surgery in May to replace 1/2 my tongue.  Just curious what your experience was.

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    edited November 2016 #5
    I don't see having a beer or two

now and then as a problem....a lot of people on here who have been through treatment have a glass of wine at dinner, or a couple of beers watching football.  I think some Drs. "think" just because you asked you might be a problem drinker.  Course a REAL problem drinker wouldn't ask....they'd just do it. :)

p

• cardoza33
    cardoza33 Member Posts: 81
    I enjoyed drinking before

I enjoyed drinking before cancer.  I would consider myself a heavy drinker.  When I asked both my oncologist and ENT said 1-2 on special occassions.  I tried a beer a few times, but don't really like it anymore.  I also feel some guilt that it may be bad for me, so I have found I really don't want to at this point.  Its just not the same.  You may have the same experience.  Honestly, I would do anything to not have this come back.

• Tonita
    Tonita Member Posts: 197 Member
    edited December 2016 #7
    cbeaz4626 said:

tongue cancer

Do you still have the tongue cancer or is it gone?  I dont meet alot of people that have had it.  I was diagnosed this year.  Finished chemo/radiation in August and had Surgery in May to replace 1/2 my tongue.  Just curious what your experience was.

I've been told that I'm

I've been told that I'm cancer free now.  A tumor in my tongue was removed and 42 lymph nodes.  But, I guess I have the mindset that once you have cancer, there's no peace that it won't return.

• Fire34
    Fire34 Member Posts: 365
    Funny Thing

I am now 7 years out, and I was told that the main causes were smoking and drinking, I never smoked and only had a beer ocasionally so i now still drink a beer ocasionally and was never told by either of my oncolgists not too.

• MJG1
    MJG1 Member Posts: 137 Member
    If you are P-16+

If your H & N cancer was P16 positive your cancer was NOT caused by smoking or drinking..Period.

• fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
    edited December 2016 #10
    Indulge...

My cancer was HPV+... It was a while before I could even have a beer but now, close to 4 years out, I can and do enjoy a good beer or two a couple of times a week with a meal. If I'm gonna go, I'm gonna go with a superior Russian Stout in my hands :) 

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

• hlrowe
    hlrowe Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2016 #11
    a draft once a week

We eat out every Sunday afternoon and I have a tall craft-brewed draft. It took me 4 years to get my beer buds back. Wine still tastes horrible after almost 5 years. Doctors don't seem to care as long as in moderation.

• Johnboy6265
    Johnboy6265 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2016 #12
    Alcohol

Have you ever wondered why Dentist and Periodontist provide Listerine which contains 26.9% alcohol .When you use a mouthwash you swirl it around in your mouth.It seems to me that this is more dangerous than drinking beer or wine. Numerous brands of mouthwash are available that contain a high percentage of alcohol. Listerine, which is sold in a number of countries worldwide, contains 26.9% alcohol, making it more potent than beer, wine and some liquors.