-Suction Machine

Options
MJG1
MJG1 Member Posts: 137 Member

Hi Fellow H & N Cancer Patients and Co. Patients.

One thing we didn't learn or hear about until after we really could have used it was a SUCTION MACHINE!  During our last visit with the Radiation Oncologist Nurse Coordinator she asked my husband what was his worst complaint at that point.  He told her that the mucous is so thick it triggers his gag reflex and causes vomiting.  She promptly said that she would call and have a machine sent to our house to help with this!!  We were CLUELESS that this was available.  Thank GOD.  This maching has really helped make my husband more comfortable.  I wish we had known a couple weeks sooner.  I just posted this in case it can help someone else.

Peace!

Margi Greene,

St. Charles, MO

Comments

• tsavagee
    tsavagee Member Posts: 1
    Options
    My Mom has the severe mucus

My Mom has the severe mucus that gags her - we have tried EVERYTHING with no success.  She can't use the suction machine as her mucus it too think

• MJG1
    edited November 2016 #3
    Options
    tsavagee said:

My Mom has the severe mucus

My Mom has the severe mucus that gags her - we have tried EVERYTHING with no success.  She can't use the suction machine as her mucus it too think

Mucus

That is so sad that it doesn't even work for her!!  Weird story the radiation Oncologist told us today is that he had a man that used Mountain Dew to break it up and he swore by it!!  I'm sorry for your mom.  My husband's mucus causes his gag reflex to trigger all the time and that has caused so many fluid issues..when we got the maching that changed.  It is a lot better.  I hope your mom's treatment is over soon.  Ours is almost over...Dec 5 the last rad and chemo.  Prayers for your mom and all who have to walk this awful road.

Margi Greene

St. Charles, MO

• caregiver wife
    caregiver wife Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Mucus

My husband swears by anything carbinated for clearing his throat.

• MJG1
    edited December 2016 #5
    Options

Mucus

My husband swears by anything carbinated for clearing his throat.

thanks

I will metnion this...But last time he tried, it burned. ;(

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    MJG1 said:

Mucus

That is so sad that it doesn't even work for her!!  Weird story the radiation Oncologist told us today is that he had a man that used Mountain Dew to break it up and he swore by it!!  I'm sorry for your mom.  My husband's mucus causes his gag reflex to trigger all the time and that has caused so many fluid issues..when we got the maching that changed.  It is a lot better.  I hope your mom's treatment is over soon.  Ours is almost over...Dec 5 the last rad and chemo.  Prayers for your mom and all who have to walk this awful road.

Margi Greene

St. Charles, MO

Ginger Ale will also

work to thin the mucous out some.  Probably anything carbonated will work. 

p

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    edited December 2016 #7
    Options
    I found a fairly good, quiet

I found a fairly good, quiet machine, the gomco 330a, from a small supply outfit in Ohio, medicalresources.com for $177 plus shipping.  It has sucked some pretty thick stuff.  The suction will drop as the hose and yankourer wand get plugged, about once a day for me.  I got spare wands and hoses from Amazon.  Be aware some of the azon suppliers can be slow to ship.  Sometimes we can flush the wand with hot water in the sink and it will clean up, sometimes it's hopeless and we pitch the wand.  my oncols prescribed a portable Devibiss unit we got via Apria, but it is very noisey, and hard to sleep with.  Does make life during transit and infusions better.