Been a while.............Happy Thanksgiving

Options
Duggie88
Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member

Hi Friends Fighters and Survivors

It has been a while since I visited and I could sit here and make excuses but they are a dime a dozen and I have 20 cents worth. It has been 8 years since I was diagnosed with throat cancer and it pissed me off that I had to deal with the nightmare during my favorite holiday. (Turkey Football Beer and I don't have to buy presents) I sat and watched my family go about our traditional Thanksgiving routine and wondered if I would be alive for the next one and if so would it be different. This one was already different because my Dad decided to take his life just 2 months before. I was a 59 year old husband, father and grandfather and for a short while actually thought maybe my Dad had a good idea. But then I realized how much it hurt the family and came to the conclusion it would be selfish to do such a thing. I am here eight short years later battle scared from my cancer war but most importantly, never regretting the choices I made. For those of you fighting, fight like you never fought before because I am here to tell you life is worth it. For those who fought and are now healing, my basketball coach use to preach no pain no gain and I have gained alot as will you. For those like me who survived, I stand with you in full abi-normalness glorification (how's that for a phrase)  in support of those wanting to be a survivor. I stand here for the souls we lost to this horiffc disease while truthfully stating until I gained friends on here, never before have i shed tears for someone I never actually met in person.

Today is Thanksgiving. Today I thank God I had the opportunity to wish all you a Happy Thanksgiving.

Life is good...............Enjoy the day...............I do.................Every one of them.

Jeff

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    edited November 2016 #2
    Options
    turkey talk

Hi Jeff,

I was hoping to get a side of Duggie88 with my meal today.  

Life is what it is all about, life is hard, life gets better, life is tough.

I am sure your family will shed a few smiles today.

Take care.

Matt

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving, Jeff! It

Happy Thanksgiving, Jeff! It has only been 1 year since we heard the word cancer, but what a glorious day today is. We have much to be thankful for. You are an inspiration!

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Happy TG day back at ya...

Jeff.  Life is grand, isn't it?  I'm loving hell out of it. 

p

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Duggie

All I know about turkey is my turkey neck Wink. Thanksgiving 2002 was not a good time for me that is when I was told I had NPC cancer, 14 years ago. I have a lot of problems with pain and radiation side effects but all in all it is worth it just to be here with my grandchildren and to be a part of their life.

We all have so much to be thankful for, and I am very happy for you.

God bless My friend

Tim

• Bart T
    Bart T Member Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    WELL SAID

Thanks for an excellent post and an even more excellent reminder. As a 4+ year tongue cancer surviror, Thanksgiving dinner was a remineder of my new abi-normal as I bemoaned the fact that I couldn't enjoy what used to be some of my favorite foods and drinks. But seated at the table were three new grandchildren that wern't there when I was first diagnoised. Damn right it's worth it !!!

To those at an earlier stage of their fight, things do get better and in the end it will all be worth it. 

• Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    edited November 2016 #7
    Options
    awesome

I love hearing from my fellow abi-normal survivors, happy to hear things are good with you, as they are with me, here in Ohio. Enjoy the Christmas season~~Go Ohio State Buckeyes, beat that team up North~~~~newbies, fight like you've never dreamed of fighting, survivors, keep smiling and being grateful, to those who have passed and their families, RIP, whole again~~~love you all!!!