Weird bump and growths that are new

the_wife
the_wife Member Posts: 184
edited November 2016 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

HI everyone,

I'm amazed at all the new posts since I first started coming here! It's been a long time. Short intro....my hubby just over a year out from treatment for stage 4 tonsil cancer HPV+. He had chemoradiation with cisplatin. Up to now things have been going great. He's maintained his weight, and although he's still pretty thin, his doctors are happy and he is eating whatever he wants. The other day I logged on just to say HI to a few familiar folks. And here I am again.

A little over a week ago my hubby noticed some weird new growths on the underside of his tongue and one little lump hanging from the base of his tongue in the very middle on that stringy part. Sorry, but I don't know the correct term! I called his cancer team and they told him to see a dentist. Supposedly dentists are trained to look for oral cancer. He had just been in to see his H&N team not that long ago for a checkup (but didn't have a scan). So....he went to the dentist last week and they took some pictures and told him to come back in a week, which he did. The growths are still there and today the dentist told him it should be biopsied. He was going to send him to the local clinic, my hubby said that he wanted his cancer care team to do it. That supposedly is being setup and I just found this out an hour ago! I'm trying not to freak out! I'm crying right now and hate that this is even happening. BUT I'm glad that he said something to me and that I called the doc right away. He's not very good about that.

I know that it's probably nothing, but here we go again on that crazy merry-go-round - just when I thought we had gotten off. 

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    hopefully nothing

the,wife,

I’ve heard of dentist finding suspicious areas, but having a dentist recommended is different.  I am sure you will get this all straightened out and hopefully it will be nothing.  This is why we go for checkups so often.  He was looked at recently and all was well. They don’t always do scans, problems are normally apparent to see and feel. I don’t remember if he had surgery or just rads and chemo? 

Parts of my tongue and throat are different than before treatment and I imagine his is too.

I hope the biopsy is negative and you can both head toward your new normal.

Matt

• the_wife
    edited November 2016 #3
    CivilMatt said:

hopefully nothing

the,wife,

I’ve heard of dentist finding suspicious areas, but having a dentist recommended is different.  I am sure you will get this all straightened out and hopefully it will be nothing.  This is why we go for checkups so often.  He was looked at recently and all was well. They don’t always do scans, problems are normally apparent to see and feel. I don’t remember if he had surgery or just rads and chemo? 

Parts of my tongue and throat are different than before treatment and I imagine his is too.

I hope the biopsy is negative and you can both head toward your new normal.

Matt

Matt - he didn't have surgery

Matt - he didn't have surgery, just chemoradiation. When he had the cancer I never looked at his throat or the pictures because I couldn't stand the thought of it. This time I did and it looks very weird. I know the dentist is probably just covering his butt, just in case. Better to be safe than be sued or whatever....

Too bad it had to happen before the holiday weekend. I'm going to try really hard not to dwell on it too much. 

Thanks again, my friend!

• Drivingdaisy
    Drivingdaisy Member Posts: 263
    edited November 2016 #4
    New Growths

Hi, been gone for a couple months.  I have the most fantastic Dentist.  Very knowledged in Oral Cancers, Dry Mouth, & Nreve pain.  He has done a ton for me post-recovery to advance to new levels, not usually seen this early.  Yes, I have been, scoped, Cts, Pets, blood, urine tests right & left  All neg with only positive results in the 7 mo post-treatment results.  In fact I've have become a test rat for My Chemo Dr, so to speak.  I would recommend finding a knowledged Dentist for part of your team and my ENT has been a blessing.  Anything that does not seem right, he checks & scopes or will biopsy if he feels it is suspicious.  My mouth did change allot from all the burns and sores and is kinda ugly, but so far, all is good.  Between these two who also send reports to My Chemo Dr, I am so much more at ease.  I eat steak, salads, a little spicy foods and No crappy shakes like Ensure or Boast.  Only Organic that I buy premade at Walgreens.  All natural, tastes great, and No Sugars & artificial crap.  I have many converts.  I use to be  junk foodaddict.  Since being tested for food allergies I am a whole new person.  No real sugar, feeds the cancer and it now is just too sweet for my taste.  No fats really, no dairy, eggs, very allergic to both.  My stomach & intestines are the best they have ever been.  I drink 2xdaily pure Aloe water, also spray it in my mouth to wet & heal.  Besides my lower Throat still healing from inner burns, I should be on track to be able to eat & drink more acidic foods/ drinks, wine for NewYears Celebration.  I still have many not to great days but all in all, extremely fortunate.  I kinda thank Cancer for giving Me back MY life & happiness/positivity. I look at life so differently now.  Again, thankful for  My wonderful ENT & new Dentist.  Hope things improve your way and have a Wonderful Holidays.  Big hugs,  Lisa

• the_wife

New Growths

Hi, been gone for a couple months.  I have the most fantastic Dentist.  Very knowledged in Oral Cancers, Dry Mouth, & Nreve pain.  He has done a ton for me post-recovery to advance to new levels, not usually seen this early.  Yes, I have been, scoped, Cts, Pets, blood, urine tests right & left  All neg with only positive results in the 7 mo post-treatment results.  In fact I've have become a test rat for My Chemo Dr, so to speak.  I would recommend finding a knowledged Dentist for part of your team and my ENT has been a blessing.  Anything that does not seem right, he checks & scopes or will biopsy if he feels it is suspicious.  My mouth did change allot from all the burns and sores and is kinda ugly, but so far, all is good.  Between these two who also send reports to My Chemo Dr, I am so much more at ease.  I eat steak, salads, a little spicy foods and No crappy shakes like Ensure or Boast.  Only Organic that I buy premade at Walgreens.  All natural, tastes great, and No Sugars & artificial crap.  I have many converts.  I use to be  junk foodaddict.  Since being tested for food allergies I am a whole new person.  No real sugar, feeds the cancer and it now is just too sweet for my taste.  No fats really, no dairy, eggs, very allergic to both.  My stomach & intestines are the best they have ever been.  I drink 2xdaily pure Aloe water, also spray it in my mouth to wet & heal.  Besides my lower Throat still healing from inner burns, I should be on track to be able to eat & drink more acidic foods/ drinks, wine for NewYears Celebration.  I still have many not to great days but all in all, extremely fortunate.  I kinda thank Cancer for giving Me back MY life & happiness/positivity. I look at life so differently now.  Again, thankful for  My wonderful ENT & new Dentist.  Hope things improve your way and have a Wonderful Holidays.  Big hugs,  Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Hi Lisa,

Thanks so much for your post and great advice. Good call on making the dentist a part of the team. That's something we really need, but don't always think about. And thanks for the ideas and reminders for eating healthy. For a long time we relied on Ensure for supplementing his diet and just recently stopped. I've been mixing in protein powder to milk as an alternative. But mostly he just eats regular food and it's nice that he's able to eat anything he wants at this point. I try to work in lots of veggies as he can't really tolerate any fruit. It's just too acidic. We rely on a lot of dairy for his protein, but I know it's not good. We need to add more plant protein, but it all takes time to research, shop and prep to eat clean. It's so important, but hard to do. I'm always open to ideas on how to do that. We don't want to wake up those cancer cells!

Happy Thanksgiving to  you and your family!

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    Sorry to hear this. Hopefully

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully it is nothing. We went through this in August when my husband had a suspicious spot biopsied by the ENT, and it turned out to be nothing. Just this last Thursday, at my husband's appt with the ENT, he said that the number one thing to look for is pain. So if you have a suspicious spot that doesn't go away and the spot hurts, then that is most concerning. If it doesn't hurt, then the odds are that you are ok. I know how stressful it is to get back on the roller coaster again. Hopefully all will be well. Will be thinking of you!

• the_wife
    edited November 2016 #7
    swopoe said:

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully it is nothing. We went through this in August when my husband had a suspicious spot biopsied by the ENT, and it turned out to be nothing. Just this last Thursday, at my husband's appt with the ENT, he said that the number one thing to look for is pain. So if you have a suspicious spot that doesn't go away and the spot hurts, then that is most concerning. If it doesn't hurt, then the odds are that you are ok. I know how stressful it is to get back on the roller coaster again. Hopefully all will be well. Will be thinking of you!

HI Swopoe - you've had your

HI Swopoe - you've had your share of ups and downs, too. In my head I know there no use in getting all worked up and worry over probably nothing. In my heart that's harder to do and I know you can relate. :) I'm taking it day by day. Today I'm focusing on the dinner and having a peaceful weekend. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

• swopoe
    edited November 2016 #8
    the_wife said:

HI Swopoe - you've had your

HI Swopoe - you've had your share of ups and downs, too. In my head I know there no use in getting all worked up and worry over probably nothing. In my heart that's harder to do and I know you can relate. :) I'm taking it day by day. Today I'm focusing on the dinner and having a peaceful weekend. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Believe me, I know the

Believe me, I know the feelings you are having now. Try not to borrow worry. Have a good Thanksgiving!

• T3rri
    T3rri Member Posts: 23

New Growths

Walgreens

What organic product are you buying at Walgreens? I appreciate any guidance. My husband is scheduled to begin radiation/chemo Dec 5. He is getting the feeding tube inserted this week and also a port for the chemo later this week. He has a very determined attitude. I am trying to find the healthiest ways to provide nitration so that he isn't relying on ensure and boost, unless others insist that is the best way to survive. Thanks....

• Drivingdaisy
    edited November 2016 #10
    T3rri said:

Walgreens

What organic product are you buying at Walgreens? I appreciate any guidance. My husband is scheduled to begin radiation/chemo Dec 5. He is getting the feeding tube inserted this week and also a port for the chemo later this week. He has a very determined attitude. I am trying to find the healthiest ways to provide nitration so that he isn't relying on ensure and boost, unless others insist that is the best way to survive. Thanks....

Walgreens

Hi, sorry for not getting back sooner.  The shakes are called Orgain.  Look through all the other shakes, if you can't find it, ask.  Whole Foods carry them. A little more but have extra flavors.  Also, CVS, and other health providers.  Can also order on Amazon.  I find them better tasting, not chalky.  Don't like sugary things anymore and things like Boast & Ensure are load with chemicals & sugar.  I will now start to make my own since I can tolerate Cashew with a little soy.  At least not as irrating to my stomach as milk/dairy.  But will always have theses shakes available.  Great for a quick snack, or carrying in a personal cooler I found online.  So often need a quick bite when out, this is easy To take along. Enjoy........ Lisa

• Drivingdaisy
    the_wife said:

Hi Lisa,

Hi Lisa,

Thanks so much for your post and great advice. Good call on making the dentist a part of the team. That's something we really need, but don't always think about. And thanks for the ideas and reminders for eating healthy. For a long time we relied on Ensure for supplementing his diet and just recently stopped. I've been mixing in protein powder to milk as an alternative. But mostly he just eats regular food and it's nice that he's able to eat anything he wants at this point. I try to work in lots of veggies as he can't really tolerate any fruit. It's just too acidic. We rely on a lot of dairy for his protein, but I know it's not good. We need to add more plant protein, but it all takes time to research, shop and prep to eat clean. It's so important, but hard to do. I'm always open to ideas on how to do that. We don't want to wake up those cancer cells!

Happy Thanksgiving to  you and your family!

Protein

I am just exploring new ways to make My shakes.  Since milk, ice cream, too much soy, is too rough on My system due to food allegories.  I am going to try a plant base protein/ weight gaining powder I saw at Whole Foods.  Will let you know how it is and what I came up with.  Yes it's hard to find the right products & taste, that is why I still do the Orgain.  Can't do fruit either yet. Not a fan of green shakes, since I can't have fruit in them.  Too bland.  Oh, I did buy some Milk (?) that is all protein/plant base.  Recommended by a worker at Whole Foods.  Havent tried it yet, but will this week as I play around with shake rescipes. Keep you posted on developments.  You have a Wonderful Holidays ahead.   Hugs, Lisa

• the_wife
    edited December 2016 #12
    swopoe said:

Believe me, I know the

Believe me, I know the feelings you are having now. Try not to borrow worry. Have a good Thanksgiving!

Free pass

Well, I have good news! Turns out there was no need to do a biopsy after all because it was NOTHING!!! WOOT WOOT! Sooo happy and relieved!

We  are counting our lucky stars and looking forward to having a wonderful Christmas this year! Laughing

Take care all and warm wishes for a stress-free, happy and healthy Holiday season!

• swopoe
    the_wife said:

Free pass

Well, I have good news! Turns out there was no need to do a biopsy after all because it was NOTHING!!! WOOT WOOT! Sooo happy and relieved!

We  are counting our lucky stars and looking forward to having a wonderful Christmas this year! Laughing

Take care all and warm wishes for a stress-free, happy and healthy Holiday season!

Yay!! What wonderful news! So

Yay!! What wonderful news! So happy for you all!