3 month check up - good news - I think??

Went in for my three month PET today and all my docs were thrilled. The tumor at the back of my throat is gone and two of the lymph nodes aren't showing any evidence of disease, either. There is one node (that I didn't know was affected) that has shrunk quite a bit, but only showing a partial treatment response. There was also some diffuse glow within the right scalene muscle, which all the docs said was likely due to lingering effects of the radiation. So, I have to go back in three months instead of six. They were all over the moon, but I'm feeling a bit unsure because of that whole partial response thing going on with one of my lymph nodes. None of the docs mentioned it, and I didn't realize it until I got home and read the written report. 

Anyone else have a partial lymph node response? Or know what that means? 

Kari

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    edited November 2016 #2
    I think you are fine too

Kari,

If the doctors were thrilled and over the moon, you most likely are fine.

Remember, 3 months is not a very long time and hot spots can show up and linger on for a short while.

This is why we get checked so much, to make sure all is ok.

Good luck telling you to relax.  If you have questions  then call them up.  My rad onc was always easy to get a hold of.

Matt

• armana
    armana Member Posts: 97 Member
    edited November 2016 #3
    Same experience

I had stage 3 tonsil cancer positive for P16 with one lymph node involvement. I finished 6 1/2 weeks of radiation "No chemo" Nov of 2014. The 1st pet scan post treatment showed some hyper activity with the node but the oncologist assured me that it is scar tissue. The following pet scan 6 months later showed the hype activity to be resolved.

I had my 2 year check up yesterady and the dr told me that I am cured.

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Sound like a NED to me too

Congratulations on the NED report and wish you many many many more.

Tim

• RottiesMom
    RottiesMom Member Posts: 167
    edited November 2016 #5
    Congrats

Great news Kari!  My oncologist said there are lingering effects from the radiation and amazed that i had none!  Your doctor's are thrilled - that says it all!  Congratulations!!