Mucus discharge

Options
clouse
clouse Member Posts: 12

Mucus discharge started pretty early after starting radiation. Over half way. Passed a clot yesterday and it felt like giving birth. Having surgery after treatments. Does it get better?

Comments

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited November 2016 #2
    Options
    clouse......

You didn't say where you are in your course of treatment or what your dx was (is).......I was dx with Stage3b anal cancer and had surgery to form an ostomy as well as chemo and radiation. I did have mucus discharge as well and it is my understanding that this is pretty typical. The radiation causes a sort of sloughing off of inner tissue, and yes it can be clot-like and painful. I don't remember that pain lasting too terribly long although it may be that the general pain and discomfort from radiation burns became so awful that the discharge did not matter anymore (its been almost 6yrs so a "thankful blur")

Yes, things do get better.......depending on how far along you are though, unfortunately it may get worse first. I will tell you though to hang in there, by comparison to many other cancer treatments this one is not long.

I will keep you in my thoughts, please keep us posted.

katheryn

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited November 2016 #3
    Options
    eihtak said:

clouse......

You didn't say where you are in your course of treatment or what your dx was (is).......I was dx with Stage3b anal cancer and had surgery to form an ostomy as well as chemo and radiation. I did have mucus discharge as well and it is my understanding that this is pretty typical. The radiation causes a sort of sloughing off of inner tissue, and yes it can be clot-like and painful. I don't remember that pain lasting too terribly long although it may be that the general pain and discomfort from radiation burns became so awful that the discharge did not matter anymore (its been almost 6yrs so a "thankful blur")

Yes, things do get better.......depending on how far along you are though, unfortunately it may get worse first. I will tell you though to hang in there, by comparison to many other cancer treatments this one is not long.

I will keep you in my thoughts, please keep us posted.

katheryn

clouse....

Sorry, I just went back and read your post earlier in Oct. explaining your situation. It is so unfortunate that many of us, wherever treated were initially mis-diagnosed putting us at a later stage by the time anal cancer was discovered. You were smart to keep searching for answers as it probably saved your life!

Anyhow.....back to the mucus, it is normal. You said you had an ostomy....is it by chance a "loop ostomy"??? Thats what mine is and so I have my anus and rectum (just out of use) vs complete APR surgery in which case that is removed and butt sewn shut. A person with a loop ostomy is likely to have a small amout of mucus discharge for a long time, maybe forever. I do but it is minimal and not at all painful. I do however need to wear a pad 24/7.

Hope this helps.....thinking of you

katheryn