mouth sores

Options
don09
don09 Member Posts: 108

Hi everyone, just wanted to thank those of you who responded to my previous post, you all have a lot of encouraging and hopeful words of wisdom which is valueable to me right now, so here I am again with another question, and some good news.  I finished my chemo yesterday and am officially disconnected, yeah freedom! It is so nice to be able to sleep alone without that fanny pack and chemo line!!!!  I did pretty well as far as escaping the long list of side effects which is great, however I did not escape the mouth sores.  I am rinsing twice a day with baking soda/ salt and there has been improvement, but I also was wondering if this will require an antibiotic to treat?   I was also curious if any of you were given a steroid while on F5U? I was told by my Drs. nurse that it just isnt perscribed with this particular chemo.............Is this true?  Thank you all again.

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    don 09

I'm glad your mouth sores are improving.  Since you are now done with the first round of chemo, they should continue to improve until you have round two.  My doctor prescribed Magic Mouthwash (prescription) for my mouth sores.  If yours do not go away, you might ask your doctor about that.  As for getting a steroid, I did not.  During this first cycle of chemo, you may hit bottom about mid-way due to low blood counts, then begin feeling better--just in time for the second round, just to give you a heads up.  This is normal for this type of chemo.  

Hang in there--you will get through this! 

• sephie
    sephie Member Posts: 650 Member
    edited November 2016 #3
    Options
    mouth sores

i tried salt water baking soda and the miracle mouthwash.... the only thing that helped me was Caphosol...very expensive ....congrats on week one down....sephie

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    don09.....

I too developed mouth sores making eating a bit more difficult. I was told that if I got them with the first round, I most likely would with the next......sorry. I was given a prescription for "miracle mouthwash" which I think is a mix of mallox and benadryl. It was helpful, and although the effect did not last long, it kind of caused a numb feeling that at least offered some relief. I was not given an antibiotic and don't think ??? (not sure) one is usually prescribed for this.

Keep us posted......thinkingof you!

katheryn

• don09
    Options
    eihtak said:

don09.....

I too developed mouth sores making eating a bit more difficult. I was told that if I got them with the first round, I most likely would with the next......sorry. I was given a prescription for "miracle mouthwash" which I think is a mix of mallox and benadryl. It was helpful, and although the effect did not last long, it kind of caused a numb feeling that at least offered some relief. I was not given an antibiotic and don't think ??? (not sure) one is usually prescribed for this.

Keep us posted......thinkingof you!

katheryn

Throat and mouth sores

Hi Katheryn,  I recieved a mouthwash as well, it does make the mouth numb but very short lived.  I tried it right before eating and by the time I was ready for the second forkful it completely wore off.  What especially concerns me is swallowing is extremely painful, not to be gross my saliva is super thick.  my Drs. nurse told me that it contained one.  My friend. a pharmacist, looked at the medication said it does not contain a antibiotic, I have been contemplating contacting my Drs. office to see if I can get one, I am concerned ablout my throat, this bothers me more than my mouth.  How long did yours last and was your throat involved?  Sorry for being such a pain, but I have never had these before, so I dont know if this is perhaps something else other than the sores, since my throat is effectived.  If anyone else would like to chime in on this please do so as I need some help with this.  THANKS ALL

• eihtak
    edited November 2016 #6
    Options
    don09 said:

Throat and mouth sores

Hi Katheryn,  I recieved a mouthwash as well, it does make the mouth numb but very short lived.  I tried it right before eating and by the time I was ready for the second forkful it completely wore off.  What especially concerns me is swallowing is extremely painful, not to be gross my saliva is super thick.  my Drs. nurse told me that it contained one.  My friend. a pharmacist, looked at the medication said it does not contain a antibiotic, I have been contemplating contacting my Drs. office to see if I can get one, I am concerned ablout my throat, this bothers me more than my mouth.  How long did yours last and was your throat involved?  Sorry for being such a pain, but I have never had these before, so I dont know if this is perhaps something else other than the sores, since my throat is effectived.  If anyone else would like to chime in on this please do so as I need some help with this.  THANKS ALL

don09....

Yes, my throat was affected as well. I found it useless to use while eating because as you said, it wears off with each bite. I remember at one time craving baked chicken and forcing myself to swallow in pain....taking one small bite, chewing as best I could and swallowing with gulps of milk or water. Eventually, I kind of gave up on eating solid food and drank smoothies. I just can't remember time frame details, but it seems that the worst of the sores, throat included only lasted a few days and then subsided over the next couple......until the next round. 

I used the mouthwash after eating, and went through a lot.....I would kind of gargle with it to get my throat too.

I hate to make it sound horrible, but figure you want honesty......unfortunately along with the sores (which were more on the order of canker sores) I also developed thrush (a yeast infection characterized by white patches that kind of look like cheese) For that I was given a different mouth wash to use a couple times a day as well. Now that I think of it, that one may have had an antibiotic in it. The name escapes me (I'll need to look it up) but it was yellowish and kind of a banana smell/flavor......it worked great on the thrush!

I think the doctors often don't mention much about all these annoying side effects in hopes that we won't get them....and some never do. I truly hope yours are manageable for you, and btw do NOT ever apologize or consider your questions a pain! We've been there, we know!!

My guess is that if you've had the sores for a couple days, you will get some relief soon.....fingers crossed!

katheryn

• eihtak
    edited November 2016 #7
    Options
    eihtak said:

don09....

Yes, my throat was affected as well. I found it useless to use while eating because as you said, it wears off with each bite. I remember at one time craving baked chicken and forcing myself to swallow in pain....taking one small bite, chewing as best I could and swallowing with gulps of milk or water. Eventually, I kind of gave up on eating solid food and drank smoothies. I just can't remember time frame details, but it seems that the worst of the sores, throat included only lasted a few days and then subsided over the next couple......until the next round. 

I used the mouthwash after eating, and went through a lot.....I would kind of gargle with it to get my throat too.

I hate to make it sound horrible, but figure you want honesty......unfortunately along with the sores (which were more on the order of canker sores) I also developed thrush (a yeast infection characterized by white patches that kind of look like cheese) For that I was given a different mouth wash to use a couple times a day as well. Now that I think of it, that one may have had an antibiotic in it. The name escapes me (I'll need to look it up) but it was yellowish and kind of a banana smell/flavor......it worked great on the thrush!

I think the doctors often don't mention much about all these annoying side effects in hopes that we won't get them....and some never do. I truly hope yours are manageable for you, and btw do NOT ever apologize or consider your questions a pain! We've been there, we know!!

My guess is that if you've had the sores for a couple days, you will get some relief soon.....fingers crossed!

katheryn

don09....

The mouth wash for the thrush was Nystatin (not sure its spelled right) but it just popped into mind, lol.

katheryn

• don09
    edited November 2016 #8
    Options
    eihtak said:

don09....

The mouth wash for the thrush was Nystatin (not sure its spelled right) but it just popped into mind, lol.

katheryn

Hi Katheryn

Thanks Katheryn, you have been such a HUGE help!  It's reassuring that there is a place to go like this forum who as you said "Have been there" They always make he best teachers.  I appreciate you telling me just as it is, you sensed right about me, I appreciate the honesty.  I got another mouth wash from my Onc. today, is so much better and lasts so much longer than the magic mouth wash, I cant for the life of me understand why they named it that, it certaintly isn't magical by any means.  This is day 5 for the sores, I'm hoping there on thier way out soon, as I'm ready.  Thanks again for all your help

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    edited November 2016 #9
    Options
    Mouth sores

Hello - My home care nurse said to brush teeth often to get food off and to brush my gums and tongue with baking soda at least 4 times a day.  Then swish and gargle with the baking soda.  The first round chemo, I wasn't using  baking soda and developed a sore on the side of my tongue, got a mouthwash with lidocaine and nystatin - helped.  Started using baking soda more diligently and brushing after eating. Also made up solution of baking soda, a bit of salt and water - carry it in my purse and swish often with this. I had a sore inside upper lip area two days ago and using baking soda on it, adding bit of water and swishing and gargling has gotten rid of it.  Also have Rx for nystatin in case I get thrush.  Good luck.